Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Reward Zone membership changes

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-05, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't see this posted yet...
I got this letter fromn Best Buy today. Basically, at least in certain regions, the Reward Zone is making big changes.

I’m writing to let you know about some important changes to the Reward Zone program for members in your area. These changes are part of our efforts to constantly improve the program, and to make sure that your membership is everything you want it to be. It’s your program – it has to work the way you want it to.

Some things have changes to create a better program, including free membership.
We’ve eliminated your annual fee and made it easier for you to keep track of your totals – now you receive 1 point for nearly every $1 spent, instead of 100 points per $1. And there’s a new level at which you receive your reward certificates, it’s now a $5 reward certificate for every 250 points.

-Enjoy no-fee membership
-Earn 1 point for nearly every dollar spent
-Continue to receive early access to concert tickets, presales and events
-Still enjoy member-only bonus points offers and more

The changes to your Reward Zone program membership are available in your area as of November 1, 2005, but are not available to Reward Zone program members elsewhere in the country. You may see advertising and promotional offers based on the former version of the Reward Zone program – these promotions and advertised offers do not apply to you.

Now you can reach a higher benefit level.

A Reward Zone program Premier level is now available for members who spend at least $2000 at Best Buy stores or bestbuy.com. At this level you’ll receive exclusive deals and recognition for being one of our best customers. For Premier members only, the expiration on reward certificates is extended from 3 months to 6 months. And, Premier members have the option to earn double points on select items of their choice such as music, games and DVDs as long as their Premier status is maintained.

There’s nothing for you to do.
All of the points in your account as of November 1, 2005 , will be converted and transferred to the new point system – and points will be added to your account so you will maintain the value of the points that you have accumulated in your account as of that date. Plus, we’ve automatically extended your membership through December 31, 2006, and we’re giving you the 15% off coupon below, good on your next purchase.

If you have any questions, and for more program details, please visit MyRewardZone.com/ohio . If you have other ideas how your membership could be even better, please share them with us. Or send us an email at [email protected].

We would love to hear from you. And I thank you being a Reward Zone program member.

Last edited by videobliss2; 09-06-05 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-06-05, 07:55 PM

I didn't get a letter, and there's no mention of a change on my Reward Zone page. I'm in the Illinois region. If they state its our program, why would I want to get $5 for every $250 spent?
Old 09-06-05, 08:07 PM

Out of sheer boredom, I went through all 50 states using the link in videobliss's post (myrewardzone.com/alabama, myrewardzone.com/alaska, etc.) and found that ohio is the only state with a page. Take from that what you will...
Old 09-07-05, 01:00 AM

Let's see about the "better" RZ program? Instead of getting a $5 cert for every $150 spent, now you have to spend $250. That translates from a 3-1/3% discount to a whopping 2%!

Since its inception, the RZ program has decreased from 4% to 2%--what a deal!

Thanks for eliminating the RZ membership fee, but instead we are treated to spend an extra $100 just to get a $5 cert.

Sure doesn't sound "better" to me!
Old 09-07-05, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lame....Best Buy adopted the musicland replay card before selling it off. Since then they have changed the point system....this must be a test market situation....hope this doesn't become the norm.
Old 09-07-05, 08:11 AM

$750/year is the break even point for the two programs. If you spend less than that, the new program is better. If you spend more, the old one is.
Old 09-07-05, 10:55 AM

Don't forget that they often offer extra discounts for reward zone members. Usually an extra five dollars.

As for me, I think I am done with RZ. I have been waiting on 15.00 in certs since July 23rd. I don't think it has ever taken more than 6 weeks before.
Old 09-07-05, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, were it to be a free program, then I guess I wouldn't much care. I'd use it if I shopped there, and if I ever got $5 in the mail, then fine. The $250 does suck, but at least you sometimes get a better deal on things being a member, so it would really be more like one of those stupid cards that grocery stores have people use.
Old 09-07-05, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,668 Posts
Originally Posted by STEVEIGNORANT
Don't forget that they often offer extra discounts for reward zone members. Usually an extra five dollars.
If you read the email above, it seems like the extra discounts for members will be changed to the "Premier" level members... meaning if you want that extra five bucks off of Lost this past week, I hope you spent 2000 bucks in the past year there.

I do love how Best Buy puts the spin on things though... the last time they changed it to make certs harder to get, they said it was "by popular demand." This time, it's "to make sure that your membership is everything you want it to be. It’s your program – it has to work the way you want it to." Ha!

At 750 per year:
Old way: 750/150=5 coupons, so 25 bucks, minus 10 for signup = 15

New way: 750/250=3 coupons, so 15 bucks

This doesn't take into account the fact that very few of us paid for the membership in the first place (or at the very least, got a free 10 dollar cert up front), and that they're changing the Reward Zone deals to 2000 and up spenders (the very ones who are penalized) anyway.
Old 09-07-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 201 Posts
Originally Posted by videobliss2

For Premier members only, the expiration on reward certificates is extended from 3 months to 6 months.
How fucking useless is that? Does anyone actually hang onto these things for that long? I know I sure as hell don't.
Old 09-07-05, 06:14 PM

This change in Ohio could be related to the lawsuit filed by the state's Attorney General last year.
Old 09-07-05, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by starecase
This change in Ohio could be related to the lawsuit filed by the state's Attorney General last year.
What were they regarding? Do you have any links? I'd be interested in taking a look.
Old 09-07-05, 10:42 PM

http://www.ag.state.oh.us/press_rele...e_20040819.htm

"COLUMBUS - Attorney General Jim Petro today filed suit against Minnesota-based Best Buy Co., Inc. (“Best Buy”), which operates retail outlets throughout Ohio and via the Internet. The lawsuit alleges that Best Buy engaged in a pattern of unfair and deceptive acts and practices. The Attorney General’s Office received hundreds of consumer complaints during the last few years with the highest concentration of complaints alleging, among other things, that Best Buy repackaged used goods and sold them as new, failed to honor rebates, failed to honor refund and exchange programs, and failed to honor extended service contracts.

“The sheer number of complaints coupled with the types of allegations my office received prompted us to file this lawsuit.” Petro said. “The primary objective of this lawsuit is to bring Best Buy into conformity with Ohio’s consumer protection laws and ensure that Best Buy’s Ohio customers receive the service they deserve.”

Additional Consumer Sales Practices Act violations alleged in the lawsuit include: failure to honor implied warranties of merchantability, substandard and/or inadequate customer service, and making false and misleading statements to consumers.

In the complaint, Petro asked the court to prohibit Best Buy from engaging in practices that violate the Consumer Sales Practices Act, and to order Best Buy to reimburse consumers who lost money or otherwise did not receive the full service they were promised. The complaint also asks that Best Buy pay a civil penalty of $25,000 for each violation of the Consumer Sales Practices Act."

Wisconsin recently filed a similar suit.
Old 09-08-05, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig
If you read the email above, it seems like the extra discounts for members will be changed to the "Premier" level members... meaning if you want that extra five bucks off of Lost this past week, I hope you spent 2000 bucks in the past year there.
I don't get that from the email. If just says under premiere that you get exclusive offers. But it also says under the regular benefits that you get exclusive offers. Since this is only in 1 state for now, and the fact that they advertise nationally, I would say the discount for regular members still applies.
Old 09-08-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, sorry for the confusion, I didn't mean that regular members couldn't get in on the current Lost deal. I meant that those kinds of deals in the future will probably be relegated to the premier members if/when this goes national.

Why would the lawsuit be related to this? Because they're trying to recoup costs from the lawsuit or something?
Old 09-08-05, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In the complaint, Petro asked the court to prohibit Best Buy from engaging in practices that violate the Consumer Sales Practices Act, and to order Best Buy to reimburse consumers who lost money or otherwise did not receive the full service they were promised.
By making the RewardZone program free, they are "giving" free money to their customers.
Old 09-09-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is getting off topic, but I never understood these lawsuits and the settlements they bring.

It's always Company X has screwed the people out of money/service. So what's the solution? Give the people some coupons or discount if they buy MORE of company X's products. Wow, what a deal. Reminds me of DVDSoon.
Old 09-09-05, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.ag.state.oh.us/press_rele...e_20040819.htm

"COLUMBUS - Attorney General Jim Petro today filed suit against Minnesota-....snip.....
Thanks for the link.
Old 09-11-05, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I got this letter, as well. What a crock. I have been planning on moving out of Ohio within the next few months anyway, so getting out of this crap will be a perk of the move.

Fearing that I'd lose my points (and not getting a comped renewal like others received), I had paid to renew my membership in July. I thought, "well, that sucks" when I read that they were making RZ free now. But then I saw that they will be sending me a $10 GC since I paid a renewal fee. Thing is, I took advantage of their deal to renew for 2 years and shelled out $15.99. At least I'm getting some of my money back.

As for the 15% off coupon, I'm not in the market for anything offered in the "select categories" that you can choose from. I don't know - maybe I'll buy a computer game or some more CD-Rs to have on hand.

The regular "Program Details" page directs just "Ohio residents of Cincinnati, Columbus and Dayton" to the new page. I wondered why Cleveland was exempt. Weird.
Old 09-11-05, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have said it once, but I will saw it again. Any store that charges you for a "loyalty program" is a POS. You are totally at the whim of store decisions, and basically pay to be rewarded as a loyal customer. No thanks.