Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Could BestBuy soon be taking GiftCards online?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 07-17-05, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I called to cancel an in-store pick-up order I had made and noticed that in my cancellation email this wording was now there:

"There's been a change to the status of your order.

Your order has been canceled at your request.

The credit card (or Gift Card) used for this order has been credited. If you used a Gift Card for this order and no longer have it, please call us toll-free at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289) and we'll send you a replacement. Item details are listed below.

If you have any questions about this cancellation, call us toll-free at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289). For faster service, tell us the order number when you contact us."

Could this mean they are finally going to have Amex work with them and allow GiftCards to be used online?
Old 07-17-05, 05:41 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But then someone could walk around the store write down the number of the gift cards they have hanging around and then try the number on the internet to see if someone has added money to them.
Old 07-17-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wm lopez
But then someone could walk around the store write down the number of the gift cards they have hanging around and then try the number on the internet to see if someone has added money to them.
Almost any gift card that is sitting at a cash register are invalid and unable to be used until they are purchased, at which time they are "activated." Granted you could do as you suggested, which could also be done with any number of stores, but sometimes have an aditional set of numbers you need to type in to use, and I believe the gift cards at bestbuy the numbers are on the back, so you would have to open the package the card comes in and write down the #'s which would attract some attention, becides the fact it would be illegal to do. Becides the fact that if you used a gift card that was not yours, after the customer calls up to complain the card they just purchased didn't work when they attempt to use it, they could easily look up who used the card, figure out it wasn't theirs to begin with (as such because someone else purchased it), and contact the authorites if they so decided to.
Old 07-17-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

giftcards are supposed to be able to be used online starting tomorrow (18th)
Old 07-17-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If I am correct the extra numbers that are needed to use the card are on the back as pilot said, but they are covered in the silver scratch off stuff like you would find on a lottery ticket. If the card is already scratched off when being bought, the clerk will use a new non-scratched card.

That is how it is at my store anyhow... the only card that I can think of that does not have the scratch off area is the card that you might get if you return a item for store credit (and those are stored behind the counter at customer service).

It is about time that Best Buy started taking gift cards on line... just wish I could use my discount online.
Old 07-17-05, 11:14 PM

All giftcards on the shelfs at the Best Buy's don't have any value on them at all. Even the ones that say $20 on them already, $5 could be put on that card if the customer wanted so. I had someone want me to put 50 cents on a $50 gift card as a joke on there friend.
Old 07-20-05, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone purchase from BestBuy in the past day or so and notice if they now accept giftcards for payment online?
Old 07-20-05, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dvd-fanman
Anyone purchase from BestBuy in the past day or so and notice if they now accept giftcards for payment online?
Here is the answer you're looking for
Old 07-21-05, 04:33 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finally, the online store accepts gift cards and issues RZ points
Old 07-21-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yay, finally Amex and them worked it out.
Old 07-22-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nabalab
Here is the answer you're looking for
Old 07-23-05, 12:00 PM
Retired

About time. Though I'd only use it to order someone living out of state a present or whatever, as otherwise I'd prefer to just go to the store.