Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DDD faster shipping?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DDD faster shipping?

Old 06-30-05, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DDD faster shipping?

Did anyone that ordered DVD's from DDD during the 20% off sale notice that their order arrived a lot faster than normal? I thought that was pretty cool. I usually have to wait 2 or so weeks before I get my order from DDD, but when I ordered during the 20% off sale, it took about a week or less. I wonder if it was just because they were ready for a huge amount of orders during that sale, or if they just improved their process.
Old 06-30-05, 06:48 AM

My priority mail was nice and fast from them. My media mail orders, which sometimes take even 7-10 days just two states away, came in about 3-4 days. So, I was happy with the speed.
Old 06-30-05, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely things are moving faster, with both DeepDiscount and the post office showing signs of efficiency.

This time around, virtually every order was mailed out within 24-36 hours of being placed, and the very few backordered titles have mostly shipped already, some having already arrived.

The post office continues to amaze me with their erratic processing: I have received items shipped last Thursday, but ones shipped on the previous two days are still in transit. (That's all within their "5-10 business day" guide for Media Mail, so no complaints so far.)
Old 06-30-05, 12:46 PM

I had no problems with DDD but it's another story with the post office. It seems like many people have received their media mail orders pretty fast but the post office is still as slow as ever on my end. It's been 12 days since my first order shipped (around 8-9 business days) and I haven't received a thing yet.
Old 06-30-05, 12:50 PM

Yes, my lone 20% off sale order arrived in here in Western PA in only (I think) 3 business days, instead of the normal media mail time of 7 to 10 days. The package still said media mail on it, so I was pleasantly surprised to receive it so fast.
Old 06-30-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think when you usually purchase an order (not sale time) ..it takes an extra "day or two" for it to get out, or be trucked someplace before it heads every which way. I think during the sale, obviously due to more volume, it may get picked up more often, trucked out quicker or just generally out the door because of the volume..thats what I'd think at least..
Old 06-30-05, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Overall, I'm very happy with the speed everything shipped out.

I have an order which shipped 6/21 which I haven't received yet. I have no idea if it was shipped by Media Mail or by Priority Mail (my first order was upgraded to Priority for free, which was very nice and prompted me to order more). So it would be a bit slow arriving for Priority, or it will probably be another 3 weeks by Media Mail. To avoid being presumptuous, I'll presume all my orders are coming by Media Mail and will only start to worry if they don't arrive within 5 weeks. (I e-mailed DD several years ago that it is misleading to say media mail is 5 to 10 business days without putting a disclaimer for Hawaii, which is 4 to 6 weeks. They never corrected it, though.)
Old 06-30-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They definitely shipped things ordered during the sale out faster because I had a regular order ship on the Wednesday before the sale and I didn't receive it until the following Tuesday (not that I'm complaining about free shipping!). I placed my sale order Thursday night and received my order Monday
Old 06-30-05, 03:09 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely seems faster. I rarely order from the other than during the 20% off sale as the free shipping is so slow and paying for shipping usually drives the cost above the B&M's for new releases (if the price isn't already higher).
Old 06-30-05, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The first item I ordered was shipped on 6/18 and its not here yet. Another order shipped on 6/18 and it arrived Monday. 3 other orders shipped after the first two and they all have arrived. I wonder where first has been or when it will be delivered. I checked the packing slip for other 6/18 shippment but it was not on there.
Old 06-30-05, 05:52 PM

Prior to the 20% off sale, my last 5 or 6 orders were shipped via USPS Standard instead of Media Mail. These were all new releases or pre-orders, and all arrived within 4 days instead of the usual two weeks.

During the 20% off sale, I placed four orders. Two shipped Media, two shipped Standard. The two shipped Standard included new releases (Dead Zone: Season 3 and American Psycho), and arrived within 4 days, while the others took a week and a half.

For the record, I got an email on 5/27 from DDD Quality Assurance that they were evaluating their shipping methods and wanted to know the dates my DVDs arrived. I gave them the info and told them how quickly the ones shipped Standard arrived.

Looks like they are prioritizing new releases (or at least smaller orders with new releases). This works out well for pre-orders since most usually ship the Tuesday before release. If only their prices for bigger pre-orders didn't fluctuate so much, DDD would get all of my business.
Old 06-30-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Yes! I thought it was only me. It normally took 10 full days after I received the shipping notice. The last order I placed before the sale took 29 days after I got the notice so I was really surprised when I got my order in only 5 days, including a weekend.
Old 07-01-05, 01:29 AM

5 business days for me too. Media mail.
Old 07-01-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmm it's going to be one week tomorrow...so lets hope it comes today
Old 07-01-05, 10:14 AM

I think it may have something to do with the weight of the packages . I've noticed that single discs seem to take longer for the post office to get to me. My single disc order (before the big 20% off sale) of Sling Blade was at the cusp of the shipping time limit and I was just about to call DDD to get another one shipped when it showed up in my box. However, my large orders during the 20% off sale came in rather quickly IMHO. I think that the delay is with the post office more than DDD however. Cheers.
Old 07-01-05, 12:08 PM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Phibes
I think it may have something to do with the weight of the packages . I've noticed that single discs seem to take longer for the post office to get to me. My single disc order (before the big 20% off sale) of Sling Blade was at the cusp of the shipping time limit and I was just about to call DDD to get another one shipped when it showed up in my box. However, my large orders during the 20% off sale came in rather quickly IMHO. I think that the delay is with the post office more than DDD however. Cheers.
That's possible. My aformentioned 29-day wait was a single disc order, my 20% order (5-days) was 18 discs.
Old 07-01-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Ironically, I had placed an order the morning before the sale (and it's tough if not impossible to cancel an order once it's been submitted). The order I made a day later during the sale actually processed and shipped a day before my non-sale order. The sale order showed up late last week, and I'm still waiting for my non-sale order... ???
Old 07-01-05, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My orders are going out the door quicker but not getting to me any faster through the mail. I received my first 3 orders after 8 days in California which is about normal for media mail. Orders 4 and 5 shipped about a week ago but haven't arrived to date. However,they could arrive later today or tomorrow.
Old 07-01-05, 01:01 PM

2 weeks and still waiting.

What's the deal with Media Mail anyway, do they just put your package on the back of the truck whenever their lazy asses feel like it? I had one media mail order from overstock that made it from Utah to Jacksonville quickly but sat in Jacksonville for like a week. When it comes to media mail the post office just screws around with it.
Old 07-01-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They gave me a free upgrade to UPS because my order was larger and it arrived very quickly. On the whole even with Media mail the orders have been getting to me very quickly. Much quicker than Amazon who have really gone way down the tubes.
Old 07-12-05, 10:05 PM
DrS

Seemed much quicker to me. Did anyone get an email survey from them asking about shipping times vs. arrival times? I never filled it out b/c it required looking up order numbers, but maybe they've upgraded. Other threads have noted that the website itself was pretty quick, didn't crash etc. Way to go, DDD!

D
Old 07-13-05, 05:03 PM

I'm always amazed at the speed of USPS media mail for small packages ... 12 days from Illinois to Indiana ... sometimes I wonder if it made it's way from carrier to carrier, with each one handing it off to the next.
Old 07-13-05, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by wageslave
2 weeks and still waiting.

What's the deal with Media Mail anyway, do they just put your package on the back of the truck whenever their lazy asses feel like it? I had one media mail order from overstock that made it from Utah to Jacksonville quickly but sat in Jacksonville for like a week. When it comes to media mail the post office just screws around with it.
Basically yes... If you check with your post office no importance at all is placed on Media Mail.

I had one order shipped from DVDEmpire that sat in the Dallas post office for a month. When the box got here it looked like it had been through hell, fortunetly non of the DVDs were damaged.