Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

My Dell Nightmare

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

My Dell Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-05, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
My Dell Nightmare

For what it's worth, here's the letter I am sending to Dell. A summary is below, I know it is long.

April 29, 2005

Dell
ATTN: S&P Returns
1809 West Frankford, Suite 100
Carrollton, TX 75007

RE: Dell Order # XXXXXXXX

On Thursday, April 28, I ordered a Canon Powershot G6 for my business. As I paid overnight shipping, I received the package today.

Upon opening the package, I found that the camera lens was chipped and damaged. I contacted Canon, who advised me to give you a call regarding this matter. At approximately 1:15PM EST I initiated the call with Dell. Over the next four hours, I was continually transferred from the customer service department, who said they could not handle a return, to the finance department, who said that they did not handle my account, as it was a Dell Computer account. This happened over five times, and I even talked to a manager.

I was given the following numbers to call, each person sure that this next transfer would solve my problem:

1 800 624 9897
1 877 819 3355
1 800 766 3355
1 866 424 3355

I was also told to contact the following extensions:

Each time I talked to someone, they would put me on hold for upwards of twenty minutes, then transfer me to a different department, only to start the process over again.

I was continually transfered for over four hours while trying to get an answer to a very simple question: Dell sent me a damaged product for which I paid $529. Where do I send it back for a full refund?

No one was able to give me an address where to return this damaged product nor how to get a refund. Dell deliberately prevented me from speaking with anyone about this situation, and was not forthcoming in its return process. I feel that this is fraud on their part.

At this point, I am sending this back to the return address on my order packing slip, which is the address above. I am also sending a copy of this letter to:

- Your Round Rock headquarters
- The local Better Business Bureau
- the FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection
- Canon USA, recommending that they not allow Dell to sell their products
-
This is the first and last item I will buy from Dell, and will have no problem recommeding that my clients and other vendors stop using their products.

Thank you.
Short facts of the story:
- Bought camera for $529
- Camera came damaged
- Dell refuses to even give me info on how to return or where to send it
- I waste half of my workday dealing with their nonsense

First, and last, time that I ever use Dell.
Old 04-29-05, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have felt your pain with Dell and sympathize.

When things go well with Dell, they go very well. However, when they go bad, its almost like a twilight zone nightmare.
Old 04-29-05, 09:51 PM

Sorry to hear your bad experience. I recently order a Canon Digicam from Dell also. And, I am luckier than you but I myself will try not to order from Dell in the future.

1. As an online-only retailer, their stocking system very sucks. No realtime stock accuracy at all.

2. So, I ordered a digital camera about Apr. 14 almost midnight. Get 1st order notice e-mail. About half hour to 1 hour later, got confirmation e-mail. Then, until now, I finally get my package, I never got any shipping notice e-mail.

3. The time I when I do the order at Dell's website, there's no out of stock information. One day after I place the order, their order tracking system shows the shipping date will be May 2, which is about 18 days away from the time I place order. And I need to expect 1 more week for the package receiving to my home. This let me feel I am ordering from Singapore and using surface carrier. Couple days later, when I do order tracking, they updated an one-sentance information regards of ------- this item is back ordered. Anyway, they do ship it out before the original May 2 they listed. I received this package on Apr. 28, which is 2 weeks later from the day I ordered.

4. They us DHL ground as shipping carrier, which actually run by Airbrone Express. For domestic US shipping, DHL's tracking system is very bad. Not lively update, no detail. UPS and FedEx is better.

5. They have very lousy packaging. A carton box, my Canon digicam factory packaging box, and one paper warp above it. There's no filler at all. My high precisioned electro-optics system unit is swing around all the way from TX to CA. I will have my fingers crossed for my new digicam having a long life.

All of above, I'll try not order anything from Dell in the future. And I deeply hope you can get your case solved well very soon.
Old 04-30-05, 12:56 AM

My experience has been quite good with Dell and they have used UPS for each order I have placed with them - several computers, TV and other items over the past several years, including this year.

UPS tracking is great - not infallable - as their system has said arrival on a certain day and then ends up 1 or 2 days earlier. Can't complain there, unless you have plans and are working them around the delivery.

Hope all works out for you.
Old 05-04-05, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I had a very bad experience with Dell. I ordered a 700m with the recent $750 off sale. After DPA and big bucks, I got a loaded machine (top of the line) for $700. Imagine my surprised when I was sent a bottom barrell 6000. I called Dell, and they said all they would do is pay for return shipping (as if THAT wasn't going to happen) and credit my account and I could purchase what I wanted. I said to do that would cost well over $1300. I asked if they would simply send me what I ordered at the price I ordered it. They refused. She then asked how her service was. I responded "crap ass".

Well apparently, CSR *do* report unsatisfied customers. About a week later I got a call from her supervisor asking me why I was unhappy. I recounted the situation. He asked what it would take to make the situation better for me. I told him that I was able to get a similar machine (not all the way, but similar) through Outlet for $800. He said that he would give me a $100 concession coupon for the trouble. I asked for a 30" LCD at cost as well, but that didn't happen . All in all, not too bad, but fighting those Dell Outlet scripters was hard as hell.