Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Paypal problem - Can they do this?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 04-28-05, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently completed an ebay purchase for several hundred dollars. This was a piece of office equipment for my business. Prior to paying through paypal, I entered my account to add my company credit card (it's in my name, and I own the company), and went through the process of confirming the mailing address for my business.

I checked out via paypal, paying with the company visa as the primary funding source, and using a personal CC (Visa) as my backup. I have my personal checking account on file with Paypal, and the system asked if I was sure I wouldn't rather use funding through my checking account, since they could offer me $100k in protection...etc...etc...etc. Since this purchase was for my business, I said no to these questions, and proceeded to check out. The check out screen showed my company CC as the primary funding source, which I was very careful to check. Everything fine, and the payment was approved.

I was checking my personal checking later, and it's missing about $600 with no explanation. Paypal was the only thing I could think of, so I logged into paypal. They changed my primary funding source to my checking account to pay for the transaction, with no notes or other indications why. They left the mailing address to my confirmed billing address of my company CC.

Before anyone thinks I made a mistake, I assure you that I didn't. Since this is the first (and only) time I've ever tried to pay with my company CC, I was very careful and the process took me about 15-20 minutes. Nor is this is not a matter of me being unfamiliar with the process. I've done a few hundred paypal transactions in the past without problems.

Unfortunately, I did not print out the confirmation, since I saw no need at the time. I did receive a confirmation email, but there is no indication to the funding source.

I've got to call paypal tomorrow. Any suggestions for the ass gnawing I'm about to dish out?
Old 04-28-05, 08:26 AM

Before calling Paypal, I checked my printer and discovered that I did print out of my confirmation screen showing the business CC as the funding source. Armed with that, I called Paypal. They responded as I expected: "Our system doesn't make mistakes...blah..blah..blah". I offered to send the confirmation screen I printed. After a few awkward seconds, the rep said it was useless because it could be edited afterward, then said it didn't matter because the confirmation email shows the funding source as my personal checking, and they are looking at it right now. I offered to forward my confirmation email to them to show it shows nothing about the funding source. Again awkward silence followed by them stating they made a mistake and that confirmation emails never show funding.

Since that was going nowhere, I offered to have them charge my business CC, then refund my personal checking after receiving money. They refused.

Paypal sucks. I have some auctions outstanding, then I am cancelling my Paypal along with a 500+ perfect positive Ebay account. I doubt they will care, but it's the principle that matters.
Old 04-28-05, 08:50 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasGuy
. . . Paypal sucks. I have some auctions outstanding, then I am cancelling my Paypal along with a 500+ perfect positive Ebay account. I doubt they will care, but it's the principle that matters.
Sorry to hear about your plight. I recently exhausted the spending limit on my Paypal account. Apparently, I must now become verified if I wish to continue my purchasing on Ebay. Examples like yours are exactly why I will never give them access to any of my accounts. I have accepted (on principle) the fact that I am now probably going to limit my shopping to Half.com (I buy mostly music). You're so right - Paypal sucks.
Old 04-28-05, 09:10 AM

I am also having a problem with paypal at the moment. I sold an item on ebay, it was paid for, I shipped it, and before it could have possibly arrived (3 or 4 days) the buyer filed a complaint that I was defrauding him and never sent it. I have the recept for the package being sent, but i didn't purchase tracking, so apparently it dosen't matter, and there is no place on paypal to give my side of the story, the site said if i don't have a traking number, it's just too bad, recept or not.
Old 04-28-05, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thats your own fault sorry. You tried to be cheap and not pay the 35 cents for delivery confirmation.
Old 04-28-05, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And to add that it's just good customer service in the end to take the customer's word. How do you know what happened to that package? It could have been lost in a post office in Altuna, but without the tracking number you will never know. You really can't hold Pay Pal responsible for your lost package.

As for the situation the thread is about, did they give a reason why they could not refund the charges to the CC they charged? Not the same company, but Enterprise did me like that one time too when I rented a car from them and they charged the card I used to secure the car (since it had a higher credit limit and the preauth amount was too high for the card I wanted to pay with) and I specifically let them know I wanted to pay with a different card, and the wound up charging the preauted card against my wishes. They apologized, and made it right, and as far as I recall, it never affected the monthly statement/balance of the card that was charged by mistake.

So, I don't understand why Pay Pal would handle this any differently than a real company like Enterprise. If you have your proof, couldn't you dispute this through your bank that got charged? Send the charge back to Pay Pal and they will want a CC that they can charge it on and use the company CC.

I was wondering also if you incurred any over draft fees associated with the transaction on the acct mistakenly charged?
Old 04-28-05, 05:02 PM
Retired

I just deleted my bank account and unverified my paypal account. I've read to many horror stories lately, and give I rarely use it I saw no need to leave that info on there.
Old 04-28-05, 10:21 PM

calhoun7,
The only excuse they gave me for not reversing the charge is that it is against their policy. I did not incur any overdraft fees
Old 05-01-05, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I stopped using Paypal a couple years back.

I had purchased an item from someone for $230. They never shipped. I called Paypal to have the money refunded, and they said "sorry... we don't support international transactions" (I'm in Canada). Funny, they had no problems setting me up with an account and charging me fees..... I fought with them for over a month and then chalked it up to learning and tried to close my account. It took an additional 3 months before they would close my account.

Paypal is a horrible, horrible company. Deal with at your own risk.

Check out more horror stories about Paypal here:

http://www.paypalsucks.com/forums/showforum.php?fid=3
Old 05-04-05, 01:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nickofdoom
I am also having a problem with paypal at the moment. I sold an item on ebay, it was paid for, I shipped it, and before it could have possibly arrived (3 or 4 days) the buyer filed a complaint that I was defrauding him and never sent it. I have the recept for the package being sent, but i didn't purchase tracking, so apparently it dosen't matter, and there is no place on paypal to give my side of the story, the site said if i don't have a traking number, it's just too bad, recept or not.
Adviseable to send the parcel via fedex, ups or dhl which provided tracking number. Normally buyers will complain regarding the high shipping cost but you can explain it to your buyers that this is the most secure way to protect buyer and seller.

Best Regards,
Kenneth
Old 05-04-05, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by chanster
Thats your own fault sorry. You tried to be cheap and not pay the 35 cents for delivery confirmation.
Dude, if you are going to be rude, at least read the post. This has NOTHING to do with delivery confirmation. What the heck were you reading?
Old 05-04-05, 05:32 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Dude, if you are going to be rude, at least read the post. This has NOTHING to do with delivery confirmation. What the heck were you reading?
He was responding to the post preceeding his and it did deal with delivery confirmation

If you purchase tracking, you're covered as it proves you shipped it to the address the purchaser provided and that it was delivered there on X date at Y time.

It's then the shipping companies problem or attempted fraud by the purchaser.
Old 05-04-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
He was responding to the post preceeding his and it did deal with delivery confirmation

If you purchase tracking, you're covered as it proves you shipped it to the address the purchaser provided and that it was delivered there on X date at Y time.

It's then the shipping companies problem or attempted fraud by the purchaser.
Crap pants. Chan use the qoute function so we know who you are ripping

But if we are moving onto this...

I had a challenge for a DVD set. I provided Paypal with the priority mail conf. #. That settled it. Or so I thought.

The person then challenged the charge. Now it's entirely possible that this person did not get this item, but I certainly did send it and had proof of it. Nonetheless, Paypal reversed their own decision and put a hold on the accout for the money. I wrote in, and the response was despite the fact that I had their seller protection, and had proof of mailing and delivery, I lose.

There's no guarantee. As you will read all over the net, PP does pretty much whatever they want. I chalked up the $30 to the cost of doing business on eBay. I got of lucky. For anything over $250 I insist on a money order. Not taking the chance. Too bad no one uses Billpay anymore, that was a good service.
Old 05-05-05, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
He was responding to the post preceeding his and it did deal with delivery confirmation...
Just because he didn't use delivery confirmation doesn't make it right to steal from him.

If I walk up to your car in a parking lot, find it unlocked, reach in and take your car radio, am I at fault because I stole the radio, or are you at fault because you didn't lock the car door?
Old 05-05-05, 11:03 PM
Retired

Hey, I didn't say I agreed with the guy that was ripping him. I was just pointing out what post he was referring to.

Quote the other guy.
Old 05-06-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did I say it was wrong to steal from him? No, of course not. But obviously the guy has no recourse becasue he didn't pay for delivery confirmation. Nothing you can do at all if you don't do that.

You do have a responsibility to yourself to lock your doors. To park your car in the ghetto unlocked..well of course you should be blamed for other's wrongdoing

Last edited by chanster; 05-06-05 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-08-05, 08:55 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Delivery confirmation proves nothing, only that the package was delivered, not to whom. It is quite useful if a package gets hung-up somewhere in the systen. I only use it as a service for my customers, not as protection for myself.

Signed DC is a little bit better in that respect, although not much.
Old 05-08-05, 01:14 PM
Retired

Yeah but it at least proves that you sent it out and to what address you shipped it, so the seller can't simply lie and say you never mailed it or sent it to the wrong address etc.

Of course it is much better to just charge them extra and use UPS or Fed Ex with real tracking systems.
Old 05-08-05, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
As you will read all over the net, PP does pretty much whatever they want. I chalked up the $30 to the cost of doing business on eBay. I got of lucky. For anything over $250 I insist on a money order. Not taking the chance. Too bad no one uses Billpay anymore, that was a good service.
on this other hand, i would never again consider sending out a money order, especially for a substantial amount like $250. money orders have no recourse whatsoever, anyone can cash it and there is no protection. if a seller insisted upon it, i would not use them. of course i learned the hard way. the only sure fire service would probably have to be some kind of third party that holds the money and the item and then ships it each way when they both arrive. other than that, you gamble everytime.
Old 05-08-05, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JAA
Sorry to hear about your plight. I recently exhausted the spending limit on my Paypal account. Apparently, I must now become verified if I wish to continue my purchasing on Ebay. Examples like yours are exactly why I will never give them access to any of my accounts. I have accepted (on principle) the fact that I am now probably going to limit my shopping to Half.com (I buy mostly music). You're so right - Paypal sucks.
I'm the same way. I'm about $50 away from reaching my unverified sending limit. They keep badgering me to get "verified" with my bank account #. I don't think so. They already have my credit card number and that's good enough in my book.
Old 05-09-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 382 Likes on 271 Posts
Yep yep yep. PayPal still sucks.

Get this... I actually had a customer REVERSE AN ECHECK (or maybe it was an instant transfer). So, he was actually able to do a CHARGEBACK THROUGH HIS CHECKING ACCOUNT!

Luckily, he repaid after we got his merchandise sorted out. Not an angry customer - just jumped the gun a bit when his stuff didn't work - I wish I would have been quicker to do this stuff in the past. Anywho, before now, I had no idea that you can reverse something like that weeks after a transaction has taken place.

I don't know about PayPal. I can't see them "going under". But they definately just aren't able to competantly service their customers.
Old 05-12-05, 08:32 PM
Suspended

Well I got my own beefs with paypal....

I've been with them since like day 1. I got a verified address. One day it was no longer verified. No explination, no way to correct.

Several years ago I attempted to get my account verified... they put a few cents in my checking, but for personal reasons I didn't get a chance to view the account. Now the account is long gone. There is no way for me to verify my account. They won't charge me a few cents and then do it again, they won't send another few cents any other way, they just want me to inform them of information I haven't had for years.

So not thrilled with paypal here either....
Old 05-16-05, 07:05 PM
Suspended

I don't know about PayPal. I can't see them "going under". But they definately just aren't able to competantly service their customers.
No chance. Paypal is owned by eBay now.