Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Pre Ordering from half.com

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-05, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of trying this for some of the more expensive elite items just in case someone unbeknownst sells a copy and figures they'll sell for my lowball. The only problem I have is with regards to bootlegs or pretty much them sending any version that isn't want I'm looking for. If they do sell this boot or what not what can I do? WOuld I have to pay shipping for the thing on the way back? Any info would be nice.
Old 04-04-05, 10:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't do it...expensive item preorders are ripe for rip-off artists. They get their money almost immediately while you have to wait 30 days for a credit to your account if it happens to you. It did to me...twice...so I cancelled any preorders that I had listed.
Old 04-04-05, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Not to mention the whole concept of 'preorders' on 'Half.com' doesn't even fit Half.coms alleged business purpose.
I wouldn't do it, just to be on the safe side. With Half.com, Half.com gets your money immediately, then sends it to the seller after a certain amount of time passes since the sale, but I'm not sure when the 'safe point' is passed. At least with a legit etailer, most of them don't charge you till the item ships.
Old 04-04-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

LoL, I know my grammar/spelling can get very horrid at times, but thanks for bearing with me dtcarson. Some people just get their rocks off by being an asshole I guess.

I'll keep my own preorder up. But won't bother putting up other ones.
Old 04-04-05, 10:47 PM

I thought about that myself when I first set up an account.
You can put in the minimum price you would be willing to pay and in what condition. But after that any seller can put up an item that meets that criteria and purchases it for you. So you could wake up one morning having already bought a bootleg from a seller with horrible feedback. So it would be like buying from ebay without reading the description or looking at the seller' s reviews.

A safer choice is the half.com wishlist. You put in the same preferences as the pre-order list, except it emails you when the item becomes available instead of instantly purchasing it. It may be a tighter race in getting the item you want but it will prevent unwanted hassles.