Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon sent me a free Bambi! / Who said being a loyal customer doesn't pay off?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon sent me a free Bambi! / Who said being a loyal customer doesn't pay off?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-05, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazon sent me a free Bambi!

As the thread title states, Amazon.com sent me a complimentary copy of Bambi this week - I received it on Wednesday, February 23. Enclosed was a letter that said they appreciate me as being a good customer and wanted to show their appreciation with a free DVD. They also asked me to put up a customer review once I had watched the DVD.

The funny part of this is that I used to buy a LOT of stuff through Amazon, getting probably one shipment a week. However, since they've ended their "Share the Love" program I haven't placed a single order because I can always find what I want cheaper elsewhere.

So, despite the free Bambi DVD, I don't think they're going to win me back as a regular customer until they re-instate the "Share the Love" program or lower their prices slightly.

Has anyone else ever gotten a complimentary DVD from Amazon (that wasn't a shipping mistake)? Did anyone else get a free Bambi?
Old 02-25-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never received a complimentary DVD from Amazom. I have ordered a lot of stuff from them in the past with and without STL discounts, but not much since they dropped the STL program. While I'm not anticipating getting a free copy of Bambi I will look at the mail a little more closely over the next few days. Thanks for the information and here's hoping for a free DVD.
Old 02-25-05, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nycbrent
They also asked me to put up a customer review once I had watched the DVD.
This statement has been sticking in my mind all day. Do you write a lot of reviews at Amazon? Maybe they sent the DVD as a reward for writing reviews, or if not as an incentive to write them? I never have written any reviews at Amazon and was just speculating if that was the reason they sent the free DVD. I checked my mail this afternoon and no free DVD.
Old 02-25-05, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It seems like I remeber Amazon doing this along time ago, like 1999/2000. I never got one either. Maybe they are bring this back since STL was dropped. I would put it up there with winning the lottery or a dvd giveaway from a certain web site. Has not happened to me yet....
Old 02-25-05, 07:18 PM
Banned

Who said being a loyal customer doesn't pay off?

Well, this is a first. Today, Friday Feb. 25th, we get the mail, and in it is a yellow padded envelope. I'm not expecting anything, so I'm not even curious. Well, upon further inspection of the mail, we discover that it's from Amazon.com with my name on it. Still confused as I just had a delivery from them the other day. OK, well, I open it, and what do I find? A copy of Ladder 49! I'm like, "Huh?" I'm thinking that maybe my sister ordered for me and had it shipped directly to my house. Nope. There's was a letter inside from Amazon stating the following:
Dear Amazon.com Customer:

We want to thank you for being a great customer and for being a top reviewer of DVDs and videos on Amazon.com. To express our gratitude, Amazon.com and Buena Vista Home Entertainment are pleased to provide you with a complimentary copy of Ladder 49 DVD before it releases to the general public on March 8th.

We have sent you this special gift because of your outstanding contribution to Amazon.com. If you get a chance to review this title on the site, we'd really appreciate it. In any case, please keep this copy of Ladder 49 for your personal enjoyment.

Thanks again,

Amazon.com DVD & Video
Old 02-25-05, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Nice!
Old 02-25-05, 07:42 PM
Banned

Yeah, fortunately it was a title that I was considering getting.
Old 02-25-05, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Congratulations, someone else wrote how they got a free copy of Bambi. Did you write many reviews for Amazon?
Old 02-25-05, 07:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by island007
Congratulations, someone else wrote how they got a free copy of Bambi. Did you write many reviews for Amazon?
I've written my share. Not that many, but a good amount. Didn't think my rating was all that high, though.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 02-25-05 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-25-05, 07:56 PM

hey mike, i was wondering where in so. ill you are from? if its none of my business i understand. the reason i ask is my wife and i live in benton.
Old 02-25-05, 08:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sxwxs
hey mike, i was wondering where in so. ill you are from? if its none of my business i understand. the reason i ask is my wife and i live in benton.
Ahh yes...the Benton Rangers. Home of (Christopher actually) of actor John Malkovich. I'm a former Bulldog.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 02-25-05 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-26-05, 01:04 AM

alright, bulldogs! small world. we should start a local dvd club haha
Old 02-26-05, 01:36 AM

thats pretty sweet! ladder 49 was a good movie too.
Old 02-26-05, 02:07 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Congrats!
Old 02-26-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
That's cool of Amazon to take care of their loyal customers like that.
Old 02-26-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, this is almost enough to compel me to write reviews!
Old 02-26-05, 10:39 AM

I wrote maybe 20 or 30 DVD reviews back around 2000 and 2001, but haven't written any since...that certainly doesn't qualify as a lot compared to others out there! You are all right - I'd like to know what triggered this so that more could possibly get in on it (whatever it is...).
Old 02-26-05, 11:14 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's pretty cool.
Old 02-26-05, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sweet, shows that some companies know how to treat their customers and convince them to continue doing business with them. Congrats!
Old 02-26-05, 11:39 AM

Cool. I've never seen an e-tailer that has done that before.
Old 02-26-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It does appear Amazon is sending the free DVDs based on doing reviews on their web site. Probably they are trying to encourage past and present reviewers to continue writing. Since I haven't written any that leaves me out. I deleted my previous post since the mods merged the other thread into this one.
Old 02-26-05, 01:19 PM
Banned

Well, to be honest with y'all, I really haven't written that many reviews. Well, hold on a moment. According to Amazon's "My Area", it shows that I have written 106 reviews. Didn't realize that I had done that many.
Old 02-26-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Well, to be honest with y'all, I really haven't written that many reviews. Well, hold on a moment. According to Amazon's "My Area", it shows that I have written 106 reviews. Didn't realize that I had done that many.
Well, you have done 106 more then I have. The enclosed letter they sent you does mention and thank you for doing reviews. Wonder if they sent everyone that did a review a free gift? I thought it seemed odd when the OP of the thread received a free DVD, but Amazon also asked him to write a review about it. Were any of your reviews recent? Maybe this is a new Amazon promotion for reviewers, and they will send free DVDs if you do a write up.
Old 02-26-05, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It's pretty cool that Amazon has done this. I don't think I've ever bought from them, since pretty much every website online is cheaper.
Old 02-26-05, 03:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Living Dead
It's pretty cool that Amazon has done this. I don't think I've ever bought from them, since pretty much every website online is cheaper.
Well, I shop between DDD and Amazon. Sometimes Amazon has a better price, other times DDD has the better one. It's usually with new releases that Amazon has a slightly better price on movies than DDD does. Usually by a buck or so. What sucks is that since I live in the same state as DDD, I have to pay tax.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.