Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Circuit City closing 19 superstores

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 02-17-05, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the list:

Bloomington 2520 East 3rd St. Bloomington, Ind.
West 38th Street 3670 Moller Road Indianapolis, Ind.
Evergreen Plaza 9600 S Western Ave. Evergreen Park, Ill.
Randhurst 999 North Elmhurst Road Mount Prospect, Ill.
Old Orchard 4831 Golf Road Skokie, Ill.
Wichita East 8405 E. Kellogg Drive Wichita, Kan.
Pontiac 550 N. Telegraph Road Detroit, Mich.
Lansing East 2655 E Grand River Ave. East Lansing, Mich.
Southfield 28556 Telegraph Road Southfield, Mich.
Traverse City 3123 South Airport Road Traverse City, Mich.
Westland 4030 West Broad St. Columbus, Ohio
Olmsted 27250 Lorain Road North Olmsted, Ohio
North Randall 21639 Miles Road North Randall, Ohio
Parmatown 8009 Day Drive Parma, Ohio
Jackson 1938 Emporium Drive Jackson, Tenn.
Katy Freeway 1045 Katy Freeway Houston, Texas
Lufkin 4600 S Medford Drive Lufkin, Texas
Lynchburg 3700 Candlers Mountain Road Lynchburg, Va.
Northridge 8173 West Brown Deer Road Milwaukee, Wis.

The stores were closed yesterday and today to prepare for the final sale which is scheduled for 2/18 - 2/25. Everything must go!
Old 02-17-05, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks for the list. Nothing close by enough, but I would love to attend one of these final sales. They're reorganizing their geographic strategy, but it still seems odd that they were scheduled to open a store in Bethlehem PA today.

I'm curious about what deals they may have, so post if you find any!
Old 02-17-05, 07:30 PM

I have mixed feelings about this, I hate Circuit City, but I won't be able to price match.
Traverse City 3123 South Airport Road Traverse City, Mich.
Old 02-17-05, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 212 Likes on 163 Posts
Dang! Mine's not closing.
Old 02-17-05, 07:47 PM
Cool New Member

I just went to the Circuit City Grand Opening in Savannah Ga this evening-they closed the other store (was in a bad location) - now they are straight across from the Best Buy!!- Seems we have a Lowes- Home Depot thing going on now!! I'm all for it ( I have Circuit City stock)
Old 02-17-05, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe they'll wise up and open one up in Omaha finally. The only competition the Best Buy stores here have are Borders (overpriced), Wal-Mart (not much selection), and Nebraska Furniture Mart (worst DVD shelving in history -- you have to remove other DVDs to see what other titles are behind certain discs -- plus a decent selection but no hard to find titles).

Last edited by Dane Marvin; 02-17-05 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-17-05, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What sort of deals can be expected? If they were fantastic, I'd venture out to Lansing.
Old 02-17-05, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure about any crazy deals. The press release said that they will be selling display merchandise. I wouldn't expect a company going through tough times to deliver any deep cuts on new merchandise that can easily be shipped to more successful locations or warehouses.
Old 02-17-05, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well nuts to that. Looks like my cheap ass is staying right here.
Old 02-17-05, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

too bad nothing in California. could use a huge discount on some floor models. (maybe a tv or sound system)
Old 02-17-05, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Up here in the Bay Area, CA, they have built brand new ones, no closing stores in site. 2 or 3 new stores in the past 6 months. Guess they are doing better in some areas than others.
Old 02-17-05, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

CC is great with open box merchandise, way better than BB, which always seems to be missing 3/4 of the parts that are supposed to be included. I've gotten two iPod 10GB for $139 (no headphones) and $189 (everything included) respectively, that was early last year when the 15GB just came out I believe.
Old 02-18-05, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
California was taken care of during the last sweep of closings...last year I believe. I know the store in Westwood closed at that time.
Old 02-18-05, 05:29 AM
JJR

Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
Maybe they'll wise up and open one up in Omaha finally. The only competition the Best Buy stores here have are Borders (overpriced), Wal-Mart (not much selection), and Nebraska Furniture Mart (worst DVD shelving in history -- you have to remove other DVDs to see what other titles are behind certain discs -- plus a decent selection but no hard to find titles).
The one in Omaha had a crummy selection and service IMO and I am kinda happy that it closed down a couple years ago. (wonder why they painted the lot green even tho its vacant across from the Mart tho)
Old 02-18-05, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm actually shocked my store isn't closing. It's in a poor location and rarely gets much business.
Old 02-18-05, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just moved to Prospect Heights IL, I may have to venture down to the Randhurst store to see if anything good is being sold.
Old 02-18-05, 09:35 AM

I'm heading to the Milwaukee one at lunch. Who knows? Might be useless.

BTW--great sig, MrPink!!
Old 02-18-05, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This "sale" was USELESS!!!! (North Olmsted, OH)

Okay, first off, I walk out of my car, and it reminds me of day-after-Thanksgiving shopping. There are a lot of people in line outside, apparently a lot of sales, and frigid weather. I walk in and the only things they are selling are display items, which I predicted. Unfortunately, the prices on those are the same as if you bought the display model at any store at any time. The prices were not that enticing either - a 2.4 Ghz cordless phone set - reg. price $48.97, "liquidation" price $46.97 - or a Sony DVD player - reg price $89.97, liquidation price $85.97. The ads in the newspaper said, "Everything must go for 'penny's on the dollar.'" This was useless and I wasted a lot of time and skipped a quiz at school and it was NOT worth it. I do plan on going there next friday because perhaps it will be the last stuff not sold and it will be a further reduced price.

BTW - anyone who is going there - ask about a 10% coupon. At my location, workers were passing them out to people who asked, "Could I get a better deal?"
Old 02-18-05, 01:01 PM

I went to the local CC this morning (30 miles away) about 10 am. The news paper said that's the time they were opening. Well like the previous poster said, it looked like Black Friday. People were lined up all the way around the building, hell even the news were there with a remote truck. So as I am walking to the line a woman sitting in a truck stops me and tells me that the store isn't open. She said it wouldn't open until noon. So I immediately got irritated because I have to be at work at 3. Then she said supposedly, I can't verify it yet, that everything was gonna be 50% off. So needless to say I am pissed. I guess I will go back in the morning and try to maybe buy a broom handle or something. Damn!
Old 02-18-05, 03:38 PM

Glad I didn't drive accross town for nothing...I called the store in Columbus that is closing and the salesperson was nice enough to tell me the sale items are only the displayed and open-box items. The unopened inventory was moved to other stores. She indicated that the prices varied by item, inventory age, and condition, and that the prices were to drop a little each day until the store was empty. The phone message when I 1st called indicated the sale started today and ends next Friday.
Old 02-19-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rob052067
Glad I didn't drive accross town for nothing...I called the store in Columbus that is closing and the salesperson was nice enough to tell me the sale items are only the displayed and open-box items. The unopened inventory was moved to other stores. She indicated that the prices varied by item, inventory age, and condition, and that the prices were to drop a little each day until the store was empty. The phone message when I 1st called indicated the sale started today and ends next Friday.
Thanks, I probably won't bother as well. Not even sure where in Columbus this store is located.
Old 02-21-05, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by paulringodaman
This "sale" was USELESS!!!! (North Olmsted, OH)
Hey, that's the one I went to - we probably passed each other. I was very disappointed.

Terrible sale (if you want to call it that). People were buying stuff like crazy - TVs and laptops, especially. Not only was the "markdown" not much of a markdown (I calculated many of the sale prices to be about 13% to 15% below regular price and/or retail), but some of these "display" items being sold were beat to hell. Apparently, many of these people thought they were getting a terrific deal - weird. Personally, I'd rather pay $20 more for a projection TV on sale at Best Buy or H H Gregg and get it new out of the box.

Last edited by davejt1; 02-21-05 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-22-05, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Only Circuit City could fuck up a store closing.

Even K-mart got that right.