Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

buy.com charges for you to order over the phone

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-05, 01:47 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never had a need to call buy.com, and I've ordered from them a lot in the last two years. So today I decided to use the 10% off coupon before it expired. I for the life of me could not submit the order. Every time I tried I kept getting a message that my shopping cart was empty. So I call, and find out that they want to charge me a fee of $2.95 to have them place the order for me. Apparently all phone orders are subjected to this fee. I don't know of anyone else who does this. I complained about it, and they say they will reimburse my credit card the charge since I was having problems ordering online. I don't know why they needed to charge my card that fee in the first place if they were not going to make me pay it due to my online troubles. I sure will make sure they give me back that $2.95. I'm not liking buy.com too much right now.
Old 02-11-05, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had a problem with Buy.com a few weeks ago. They had an external hard drive at a very good price online with two decent rebates but each time I placed in into my cart the price raised $30. I called them and the guy placed the order without adding the fee. So, if I were you, I would call and let them know you tried but failed to buy online.

Last edited by kayak99; 02-11-05 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-11-05, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Simply on principle I won't even shop on line at places that set up policies like that. There are many other sites to choose from, and I can live very well without buy.com.
Old 02-11-05, 10:47 AM
Cool New Member

One of the big reasons I shop at buy.com is to avoid Washington State sales tax. That helps quite a bit. Sadly I get charged sales tax at Amazon due to them being a local company. Thanks kayak99 for telling me your experience. I think I should call them to find out what is up with charging me that fee, and claiming they will reimburse me for it.
Old 02-11-05, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kitkittykat
I think I should call them to find out what is up with charging me that fee, and claiming they will reimburse me for it.
When you phone them, have the online order page open. That way you'll have the product id number and simply insist you do not want to pay the chanrge just because their site is not working correctly.

Good luck!
Old 02-11-05, 02:28 PM
Cool New Member

I did call, and they told me there is a request already in place to reimburse my credit card the amount. I will just have to watch to make sure they do it.