Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Presentation @ Ultimate Electronics

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-05, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Around Christmas, my brother and I were looking around for a 27" plasma.

I don't normally shop at Ultimate. But it seemed like a good place to go for a higher-end tv.

Anyways, why are all of the TV's there so badly calibrated? I mean, then have $7k TV's displayed, trying to sell you on the presentation. And the can't even have the ratio displayed correctly.

The one guy said that all of the TV's in a certain section run off of one DVD player. Is that true? Would it really be a huge splurge to give each TV it's own video source? I just don't get why they have such expensive stuff, stuff that costs as much as a small car, and they don't even give you a fair representation of where the quality actually is.

Furthermore, they had GARFIELD, which looks like it was shot on video, playing on their "new technology" TV on display. I remember that the TV was around $7k, and the DVD player was around $800. So GARFIELD? I mean, on top of being a bad movie, they should at least be showing something displaying good cinematography, or something. Maybe a high-def nature documentry. Or maybe a Pixar movie? But GARFIELD?

Now, I'm not saying that we didn't buy there. They ended up giving us 5% off a $2500 Samsung floor model; which I think even cut into the guy's commission, which was very cool of them. New price was $2500, paid ~$1800, with a three or five year extended warranty. The salesperson was knowledgable, and took care of everything quickly. Even stayed at work late just for us.

But I was asounded by how bad the picture of everything looked! In comparison, we also went to Showcase, which had everything looking top notch. But then they didn't have twenty TV's hanging on the wall.

Any input?