Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart and Nascar Imax...

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 02-01-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had heard that Walmart got a 1 month sales exclusive for the Nacar Imax dvd. So I go there today to pick it up. They don't have it. They are not sure when its coming...check next week. Next week?? This is the 3rd time they have not gotten stuff in on release date..even when other stores have. One time they had it in the store. But, it was still in a box and they had no idea where. It took 4 days for them to finally put the item out. One rep I spoke to at the store. Told me that this location is run like crap.
Old 02-01-05, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TOLEN
I had heard that Walmart got a 1 month sales exclusive for the Nacar Imax dvd. So I go there today to pick it up. They don't have it. They are not sure when its coming...check next week. Next week?? This is the 3rd time they have not gotten stuff in on release date..even when other stores have. One time they had it in the store. But, it was still in a box and they had no idea where. It took 4 days for them to finally put the item out. One rep I spoke to at the store. Told me that this location is run like crap.

You're about a month too early.

Wal-Mart.com shows the release date as 3/15/05.
Old 02-02-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, he's not early. Wal-Mart stores have them now (my local store had at least 500 copies) and then it goes into general release on 3/15.

The disc isn't IMAX or 3-D on DVD of course, so don't be fooled by the Lenticular 3-D cover. It's no longer NASCAR 3D: THE IMAX EXPERIENCE, but simply NASCAR: THE EXPERIENCE....
Old 02-02-05, 06:12 PM

yup saw them in my wal-mart the last night
Old 02-03-05, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, later that day I called to see if they knew when it might come in....They had them. They were in a box somewhere.

Also, not only is it not 3-d. Its foolscreen. And it saids its modified to be that way.
Old 02-03-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, the aspect ratio is really OK.... as in theatres, it was only about 1:40 to 1. IMAX is basically close to the shape of a 4X3 set, though some movies (like POLAR EXPRESS) are letterboxed on the IMAX screen to allow the wider ratio.

Warner should have added a disclaimer stating "This film has been modified from its original version. It was originally released in IMAX 3-D and is presented on this disc without either technology."
Old 02-03-05, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I stopped at my local Wal-Mart yesterday and they had them there too, so I picked it up along with the soundtrack. I would have never known it was coming out early unless I saw this thread, so thanks for posting about it!
Old 02-06-05, 07:28 AM

What a waste of a Imax movie conversion to DVD

Yeah, I just saw my local walmart selling them at $15 bucks a pop. Why couldn't they at least try to put in a 3d format. I don't know if many of you guys saw the 3d imax version, but to say the least, it was totally eye popping, it was like your were right there, but even better. I can't imagine why after seeing the IMAX version why anyone would waste a dollar on seeing in a regular format. Their is simply no justice to do so. If they made that Spy Kids movie in 3d on a dvd, why couldn''t that at least make an attempt at it. The spykids 3d dvd actually wasn't that bad on a big screen. It just screams of bloody murder.

Last edited by patigerjet; 02-06-05 at 07:30 AM. Reason: text error
Old 02-07-05, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by patigerjet
..... I can't imagine why after seeing the IMAX version why anyone would waste a dollar on seeing in a regular format. ....
Those who eat, drink and sleep NASCAR would buy it no matter what just to have the film; like I did. If they release it again and make it 3D the second time, I'd buy it again as well.

Last edited by dvd-fanman; 02-11-05 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-11-05, 12:02 PM

Special Features?

I am a little disappointed in this DVD. The sound is very uneven. I have to turn it up to hear the narrator, but then I get blasted out of the room when the sound of the cars comes on.

Also, where are the special features? On walmart.com it lists...

"Drivers' Profiles" documentary, "NASCAR's Closest Racing Moments" documentary, Original Aspect Ratio - 1.42, Documentary
Old 02-14-05, 07:37 PM

see what i mean

Hardcore NASCAR fans are not 2 fanatic to even appreciate a poorly made DVD. I say for those NASCAR fans wanting to purchase this item, wait it out when its priced at 4.99, which shouldnt be to long. Hecks, it was only 15-30 minute long flick with little insight into the "real" NASCAR experience when you subtract the awesomte IMAX picture quaility combined with by for the most advanced 3D imaging ever to be engineered on to film. Plus the IMAX sound was just amazing in the theater. Save your money NASCAR fans, espically if you seen the IMAX version.

Wait for the next new DVD release of this title. DVD distributors and thier counterparts always have a way of re-releasing new and improved DVD's down the line in order to keep the revenues coming in from the same release, and exploiting the same buyers of the previous poor releases with those extra features and special edition releases.

I can see it now, the next release sometime next Christmas, in true 3D and improved digital 7.1 sound THX certified. After that relase in another year, a Hi-Definition release when HIFI tv monitors & players are more widespread....now that would i would BUY for sure!!!! And I'm not even a NASCAR fan to any extent whatsoever. Just a fast and furious dude with a 2k3 mustang cobra terminator.

Last edited by patigerjet; 02-14-05 at 07:46 PM.