Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Half.com - Worried about not getting paid

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 01-23-05, 11:31 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Hey all.

I just recently starting using Half.com and sold a dozen or so items so far. However, I'm still nervous about shipping these items out and Half.com not paying me. Am I just being crazy?
Old 01-23-05, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never had a problem getting my payments from Half.com. I have them do direct deposits into my checking account.

Last edited by Laser Movies; 01-24-05 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-24-05, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My only "bad" experience with half.com:

I lost my pay-check for about $79.xx. I emailed customer service and they were extremely fast in replying to my concern and where pretty courteous. They verified the check had not been cashed, canceled it, and told me they would issue one in the next 1-2 weeks. Well 4 months later and 5 more emails, I got it....Then I bought 3 Simpsons TV box sets (2 used, one new)
Old 01-24-05, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you're worried about not being paid, then you probably shouldn't have listed anything. I've been using half.com for three years and never had a problem.
Old 01-24-05, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've been using half.com for about 2+ years now as well and have never had a problem with getting paid either. Set up your account for direct deposit into your bank.

The only problems that I've ever had were with shady buyers who open up accounts and then get banned. What they do is buy stuff, then a few months down the road, dispute it with their credit card. Half.com then sends you a dispute e-mail and you have to provide them with proof or they can take the money out of your account. This is why you need to purchase at least delivery confirmation with all items that you sell so that you have proof just in case this happens.

Oh yeah, the guy that did it to me was a Steve R. Shephard who lives in the Houston, TX area.
Old 01-24-05, 08:21 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Great thread for me as I am considering becoming a Half.com seller as well. Have any of you oldtimers ever had any issues or concerns with offering your checking account information? This is a HUGE reservation for me. I am very concerned about security issues and unauthorized access to my account. Your thoughts?
Old 01-24-05, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've had my half.com account for years, no problems
Old 01-24-05, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been selling stuff and getting paid by check (no longer an option) for the past couple of years with no problems at all. Can't say the same for Ebay!
Old 01-24-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by JAA
Great thread for me as I am considering becoming a Half.com seller as well. Have any of you oldtimers ever had any issues or concerns with offering your checking account information? This is a HUGE reservation for me. I am very concerned about security issues and unauthorized access to my account. Your thoughts?
I've never had any problems with my account. But I do plan to open a second checking account for my Half.com and Paypal accounts and keep the balance low so they won't have access to much money. I'm more concerned about Paypal than Half.com
Old 01-24-05, 02:46 PM

I haven't had a problem so far. They send you the money you make from your sales every half month I think (the 15th and 30th I guess).
Old 01-24-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll add to Half.com's reliability. I've been selling there for over 3 years and I've received every payment promptly. I recently began direct deposit with the same consistency. No issues.
Old 01-25-05, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

<--------Another satisfied Half seller/buyer. Never had a problem.
Old 01-29-05, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
Oh yeah, the guy that did it to me was a Steve R. Shephard who lives in the Houston, TX area.
There was some discussion about him on one of
ebay chat boards a while ago. I think everyone
sold him something.

As said above. Make sure to get at least delivery
confirmation. Also if you have halfcom mail
you your payments by check they charge you.
So its best to go direct deposit.
Old 01-31-05, 02:03 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Half.com really screws sellers though. Selling an average DVD at $15 will net you $14. They take $2-3 commision, then give you a $1.89 to ship the DVD. Most of the time shipping is way more (A huge boxset will cost $4 to ship, yet they only give you $1.89). Then on top of that to buy Del. Confirmation? Gees! I wish they would calculate the shipping by the weight of the item (I can't imagine selling a huge boxset like Nightmare on Elm street and getting $1.89 to ship it).
Old 01-31-05, 02:45 PM

Yep. That's what happened to me! It costs me $4.30 to ship a DVD box set (even at the cheapest rate) and I only got about $1.89 back for shipping. It was bad enough I sold the set for cheap but in the end, I didn't even make half the money I expected. I wrote to Half.com about it and they said (to this effect) that I should charge more money to compensate for any losses. If I charge more, doesn't that mean they get more?

Anyways, I only sell stuff I REALLY don't need now. The others stuff like box sets, I sell to my local FYE (they pay me WAY more than Half.com does on some things).
Old 01-31-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts
Selling on Half.com for years, had direct deposit that entire time, no problem *knock wood*.
I take my shipping costs and their shipping reimbursement and commission in mind when I price things. But I'm generally selling stuff to get rid of it, not to make money, so I try to have the lowest price on the same item/same condition. I'd rather sell a book or CD for five bucks cash, than try to trade it in for 1.50 in credit at a store I don't want to buy anything from.
You'll get paid; the buyer pays half.com, half.com pays you. It takes a while, from 2 weeks to 8 weeks or so depending on how you are paid and when the sale goes through.
For 'security' I should probably open an ING account, or another account, to link to Paypal/Half.com like some other folks have said--they're currently linked to my actual bank account. Which, normally, doesn't have a whole lot of money in it, but still.
Old 02-01-05, 07:50 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I am now an official SELLER. My thanks to everyone for your feedback and reassurance.
Old 02-01-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Half.com really screws sellers though. Selling an average DVD at $15 will net you $14. They take $2-3 commision, then give you a $1.89 to ship the DVD. Most of the time shipping is way more (A huge boxset will cost $4 to ship, yet they only give you $1.89). Then on top of that to buy Del. Confirmation?
I agree Half.com doesn't give enough shipping allowance on the heavier sets but you could pad the sale price by a few dollars to compensate. Also delivery confirmation is more reasonable if you are getting electronic rates. Free with priority mail and only $0.13 on media or first class mail.