Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Ignorant Store Manager at Hollywood Video.....

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 01-23-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

I don't want to vent too much, or type too long -- but to keep a long story short, the MANAGER at Hollywood Video here in town insisted that the only VHS to ever be created in widescreen was Titanic, and that there is NO noticible difference between widescreen and fullscreen movies. She also said that unless you have a widescreen TV, there is no advantage to renting widescreen....

I think i have said enough...

Matt
Old 01-23-05, 03:24 PM
Suspended

why didnt you kill him?
Old 01-23-05, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

...she
Old 01-23-05, 11:13 PM

At the Hollywood in my town they often hire ignorant/rude clerks. Once on my birthday I went to watch the Vincent Perez movie Indochine on video that I had rented the night before. The movie was all screwed up & wouldn't play. So I went back to the store & complained. The guy who was working there wanted to give me a hard time. I had seen him working there before & if he wasn't hitting on the customers he was making personal calls on the phone. I marched back to the dvd section & picked up the dvd & told him he was renting it to me. He was going there's a price difference between the video & dvd. I told him that I didn't care. There wasn't another video of that movie, only the dvd & he was going to rent it to me. So I ended up forcing him to rent it to me.

On a separate note my sister once won free rentals from HV for a year. It was great to get a free rental every week, but they wouldn't give her a card or anything. So every week we had to bring in her paper she had gotten in the mail declaring that she had won & practically beg for the free rental. Not to mention that most of the employees were there on a revolving door basis & hence didn't know what we were talking about every week.

So, give 'em hell.

LOL.
Old 01-24-05, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
This one needs to be tied up, eyes held open a la Malcolm McDowell in Clockwork Orange and made to watch OAR movies until she understands.
Old 01-24-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerQ
Hey all,

I don't want to vent too much, or type too long -- but to keep a long story short, the MANAGER at Hollywood Video here in town insisted that the only VHS to ever be created in widescreen was Titanic, and that there is NO noticible difference between widescreen and fullscreen movies. She also said that unless you have a widescreen TV, there is no advantage to renting widescreen....

I think i have said enough...

Matt
Well, she would be ignorant about the Titanic part, but the rest is her opinion. People like my wife, for instance, will always want full screen because on a non-widescreen TV it makes for a "bigger" picture, and they don't notice the pan and scan and missing picture crap that we do.

I'm not too sure that one of the qualifications of being a manager at rental places is knowing the difference. I've never even took note of the "recommendations" that rental places have from their employees...
Old 01-24-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by fujishig
Well, she would be ignorant about the Titanic part, but the rest is her opinion. People like my wife, for instance, will always want full screen because on a non-widescreen TV it makes for a "bigger" picture, and they don't notice the pan and scan and missing picture crap that we do.
Were you aware of this before you married her?
Old 01-24-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts
Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
Were you aware of this before you married her?
Obviously not...
Old 01-24-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

With the picture being so unimportant to so many people, I wonder how television ever caught on in the first place. over radio.
Old 01-24-05, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Geez...even Walmart now has a sign posted as to why widescreen is better...and it is even shown on their TVS in commerical form. When will people learn?

Oh yeah, and the Hollywood Video I used to rent at also had a sheet explaining why widescreen was better.
Old 01-24-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Heres a hint. Ignore it. Who cares what she thinks. Are you going to see her every day and she'll repeat what she thinks and be sure you'll listen. No.
Old 01-25-05, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigDan
With the picture being so unimportant to so many people, I wonder how television ever caught on in the first place. over radio.
Visual is better than audio
Old 01-25-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
Visual is better than audio
So people care that they see an image, it just doesn't matter what that image is as long as it fills the screen.

Studios could sure save a lot of money with filmmaking if they realized that the image itself doesn't matter to people.
Old 01-25-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You need to make her understand the error of her ways. Go right back to that store and tell her to surf over to the DVDTalk FAQ. If she refuses then pee in her butt.

Some people just refuse to be edumacated.