Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Netflix Profiles anyone?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Netflix Profiles anyone?

Old 01-18-05, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Netflix Profiles anyone?

Anybody excited about this feature.

http://www.nasdaq.com/asp/quotes_new...2005+10%3A00AM

Netflix Unveils Profiles(TM)

New Family-Friendly Innovation Gives Even Greater Flexibility to Over Two
Million Subscribers
LOS GATOS, Calif., Jan. 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Netflix (Nasdaq: NFLX), the world's largest online movie rental service, today announced Profiles(TM), a new family-friendly feature designed to make Netflix even more flexible for its more than two million members. Profiles allow Netflix members to create separate movie queues for individual family members using a single account. With Profiles, individual family members have the flexibility to select, rent and watch the movies they want, when they want.

As part of their current membership, Netflix members can now create a separate Profile for each member of their household, giving family members with diverse movie tastes the ability to have their own personalized movie rental queues. Each person is assigned a number of movies that they can have out at a time, ensuring that all members of the family have movies that they want to see. Each Profile manages their own queue and receives new movies from their list as movies are returned. With Profiles, individual family members have their own sign-in name, ratings and recommendations, and even receive personalized Netflix envelopes.

Parents can use Profiles to control their children's queues by setting limits on the MPAA rating of movies that their children can browse and add to their individual queues. Parents can determine if their children's queues should allow G, PG, PG-13 or R movies.

To assist parents, Netflix also launched its Select-by-Age categories, making browsing and selecting movies easier and more time efficient. Parents can search by age across 30,000 titles to select suitable entertainment for their children. Netflix offers five Select-by-Age categories: Ages 0-2, Ages 2-4, Ages 5-7, Ages 8-10 and Ages 11-12. All kid-friendly movies, cartoons, educational programs and television shows available on Netflix are classified within these age-specific categories.

Commenting on today's announcement, Reed Hastings, co-founder and CEO of Netflix said, "Families make up a large part of our subscriber base and for them ease, convenience and flexibility are paramount. With Profiles, we have made renting movies even easier for families, ensuring that each member has the movie that is right for them at all times."

To set-up Profiles today, Netflix members can log on to their account at www.netflix.com and click Profiles. The Select-By-Age Categories are available as members browse through movies on the Netflix site.
Old 01-18-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Seems good to me. I just recently signed up for netflix, and get tired of having my fiance who also uses my account put hers staggering mine in the que, so we don't end up with like 3 bridget jones diaries at a time. Seems like you can have it take like 1-2 from each list instead.. Seems pretty useful to me.
Old 01-18-05, 11:46 PM

I tried it and it sounds like something that will be a good idea in time, and for new accounts, but for me it's just not ready to use. You can't cancel a profile, for example, or transfer titles between profiles(as least as far as I've been able to find).
Old 01-19-05, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess I'm lucky. My wife lets me pick ALL the movies we watch. I mix up the genres so she's cool with it. I have no need for this service, but it's a good idea.
Old 01-19-05, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
great idea for families-I personally have no need
Old 01-19-05, 05:41 PM

I know for my wife and I we have one account set up for television shows that have come out on dvd, and then the other account with new releases. Seems like it is working out so far.
Old 02-08-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 378 Likes on 245 Posts
Wow, I just found this today and it makes me super happy because I wrote to Netflix twice last year requesting this service. Maybe lots of people asked for this, but I'm feeling now like my suggestion letters paid off.