Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy Gift Return Policy Question...

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 12-30-04, 02:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully this is the correct board in which to post this..

I recieved a DVD that I already have for Christmas, it doesn't have it's Best Buy tag on it anymore, and I don't have a reciept (the person who got it threw it out)... but they say they accept returns on gifts until the end of January.. I don't know what that entails.

I haven't taken it out of the packaging yet, of course.

Would they take it back for store credit if I go there?

Or is there any other place that would, considering that it no longer has a tag, so it could theoretically be from anywhere...
Old 12-30-04, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know that if WalMart carries it, they'll let you exchange 2 DVD's per year (verified with a drivers license). I'm not sure about BB.

Stew
Old 12-30-04, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I went to best buy to do some returns and it ran down like this. wait in line, they ask you if you have a reciept or not. then they scan it. You get store credit if it's still closed and all. no questions asked when I did it.
Old 12-30-04, 03:16 AM

Did it have the best buy price sticker on it?
Old 12-30-04, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This sould be in the Store Forum. But, luckily, people here have been kind enough to help.

Anytime I've had returns to make at Best Buy, I always get a girl saying "well, we're not supposed to take returns without a receipt, but you can exchange it for something", which is actually my intent anyhow. So it works out. I think they're implementing the whole "driver's license check" to make sure you're not habitual in your returns w/out receipts. Because if that were the case, then there's obviously something fishy with the customer's routine (ie., stolent merchandise, buying them someplace else that was much cheaper, only to exchange it their for a higher value, etc.)

Anyway, give it a shot. The worst they can say is "we can't", then there's always ebay or the dvd talk exchange forum, in which you can see if anyone there will buy it off you (or perhaps trade you something you might want for it).

Good luck.
Old 12-30-04, 03:47 AM

Sorry for having posted it in the wrong forum, but thanks to everybody for the help. Hopefully they will take it back.
Old 12-30-04, 03:48 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does BB now ask for driver's license for returns without receipt? I returned a few Christmas gifts (w/o receipt) last year and got store credit on a card but they didn't ask for my DL though.
Old 12-30-04, 04:01 AM
ams

The BB in my neighborhood gives you a REALLY hard time about returning without a receipt. They will take your info down and put it in the computer, then deny you another return when you try a second time. This was after hassling with the manager for 10 minutes to trade a fullscreen version (with a damn BB bonus disc enclosed) for a WS version. Damn.

Borders B&M, however....they will take it back without a problem. But they credit you the lowest price in the last 60 days.
Old 12-30-04, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
This time of year they just want to shuffle you through the lines as quickly as possible so they wont be asking to many questions either way.
Old 12-30-04, 07:39 AM
Cool New Member

I used to work there, so here's the actual policy:

You can return any gift without a receipt up until January 25th or 26th. There is a max. price limit of $100 with no receipt. Even if it's over, if you ask for a manager and complain about how the money is going right back into the store anyway, 9 times out of 10 they'll give you the credit. And it's only store credit, no cash back.

If anyone gives you any trouble, ask for the sales manager or the store manager. Be polite, and they'll almost always give you what you want.
Old 12-30-04, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I got a SpiderMan DVD, but it was Full Screen a while back. It was sealed still. So, I took it to them and wanted to get the WideScreen version of course. They would NOT let me do an even up trade. They gave me the credit for the FS edition (the LOWEST SALE PRICE) and I had to pay the difference for the WS version about $5 or so at the time.

I didn't really mind much, since the DVD was given to me by a girl I was having relations with at the time
Old 12-30-04, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PerksGTI
I used to work there, so here's the actual policy:

You can return any gift without a receipt up until January 25th or 26th. There is a max. price limit of $100 with no receipt. Be polite, and they'll almost always give you what you want.
I just returned a bunch of DVDs for a total of $125 without any problems whatsoever. The $100 limit must be a YMMV because the CSR didn't even blink an eye about the amount. I completely agree about being polite. It never hurts to show a little gratitude because bottom line, they are doing you a favor by accepting a return without a receipt.
Old 12-30-04, 09:47 AM

I got the Back to the Future Trilogy from my Grandmother in CA for my birthday, and I love her to death but she got me the Full Screen version. Fortunately, it still had the Best Buy tag attached with the price markered out. Anyway, I went in and got the Widescreen version to keep me from having to wait in two lines. The return rang up at 29.99 and then the guy proceeded to charge me 34.99 for the widescreen version. Staying calm, I asked the guy why I have to pay $5 just to get widescreen. He went to whoever "was in charge" at the time and said that it must have been on sale at some point, so I'd have to pay the difference. I explained that I could understand the difference if I just wanted credit to get something else, but it was the same movie. This ever so "helpful" person just essentially said oh well and had an incredibly blank look on his face.
This has really made me determined to be a devil customer to them. If I buy stuff from there, I will doing my best to make sure they lose money on me by only picking up stuff below their margin.
I know the BB help is useless, but this set my expectations to an all time low, and yes, I paid the $5 because nobody was there to talk to. I'll go in today to make a complaint, but it won't do any good.
Old 12-30-04, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
they took my unopened "Eternal Sunshine" dvd without receipt (didn't bring my receipt cause i bought it a while ago and couldn't find it - returned it cause the new version is coming out next week). just asked for my driver's license and gave me store credit.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 12-30-04 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-30-04, 10:34 AM

I gave my girlfriend a Sex and the City DVD package (all seasons except 6 pt 2). She already had Season 5 though (I bought it when CC mispriced it). So, we took the unopened Season 5 in and swapped it for Season 6 pt 2. Since season 6 pt 2 was on sale, she got it and a $12 gc.

They took her driver's license though. I think they are going to start tracking people who return alot of stuff.
Old 12-30-04, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by mink-e
I'll go in today to make a complaint, but it won't do any good.
Call the customer service number and complain. Be sure to give the store number and employees name if you know it.

They often send out $25 gc to make you happy.
Old 12-30-04, 10:40 AM

I got buy one get one free, a long time ago. There were no titles that I wanted to get inthe ones they were offering for free. So I just took a random one, and was going to try to return it for credit. I didn't take my reciept, because the recipet said "$0.00" and I knew that they would shoot me down. and they said no way without a reciept. so is it a different scenario around the holidays?
Old 12-30-04, 10:52 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
i think they are more lenient around the holidays. i have returned things without a receipt before, but it was for the same thing and it wasn't an expensive product(dvd/cd was defective)
Old 12-30-04, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mink-e
The return rang up at 29.99 and then the guy proceeded to charge me 34.99 for the widescreen version. Staying calm, I asked the guy why I have to pay $5 just to get widescreen. He went to whoever "was in charge" at the time and said that it must have been on sale at some point, so I'd have to pay the difference.
THIS is what is crucial about returning to BB. They will only refund you the lowest price for the item from the last 6 months. So if a CD was $9.99 in September - you only get $9.99 credit when returning it without a (gift) receipt. It kind of makes sense.

FYI - Borders is pretty good about taking DVDs back that they have in stock. They'll give you a Border's Gift Card which you can also use to get music, DVDs and books at AMAZON (sometime you have to add a Borders book to get the GC to take, but then you delete it right before finalizing your checkout)!!!!
Old 12-30-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by chileorgullo
I got buy one get one free, a long time ago. There were no titles that I wanted to get inthe ones they were offering for free. So I just took a random one, and was going to try to return it for credit. I didn't take my reciept, because the recipet said "$0.00" and I knew that they would shoot me down. and they said no way without a reciept. so is it a different scenario around the holidays?
If you got the DVD for free, how much store credit were you planing on getting for a return?

This may be one of the reasons why stores are changing their exchange policies.
Old 12-30-04, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ymmv
Old 12-30-04, 08:13 PM
mwj

Here's my experience from yesterday. Took back Blue Velvet SE, Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan, and Boondock Saints. All unopened, but no reciept. Wait in line have CS scan prices so I know how much I would need to spend to come out even. About $52 to my amazement. I was expecting much less. Went and picked up Collateral, The Bourne Supremacy WS, The Italian Job SE (1969). Got back into line and a new CS got my old DVDs scanned them, then scanned what I wanted. Tells me I owe $2.15. Pay. Then he says I have a $5 gift card coming. I ask why, he shrugs and I just smile, say thank you and calculate I just made $2.85. Sweet.
Old 12-30-04, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by island007
If you got the DVD for free, how much store credit were you planing on getting for a return?

This may be one of the reasons why stores are changing their exchange policies.
Well, it still had the sticker, not the big yellow one, a barcode one and it said 9.99.
Old 12-30-04, 11:52 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mwj
Here's my experience from yesterday. Took back Blue Velvet SE, Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan, and Boondock Saints. All unopened, but no reciept. Wait in line have CS scan prices so I know how much I would need to spend to come out even. About $52 to my amazement. I was expecting much less. Went and picked up Collateral, The Bourne Supremacy WS, The Italian Job SE (1969). Got back into line and a new CS got my old DVDs scanned them, then scanned what I wanted. Tells me I owe $2.15. Pay. Then he says I have a $5 gift card coming. I ask why, he shrugs and I just smile, say thank you and calculate I just made $2.85. Sweet.
Didn't they give a store value card or something for your returns, and then you can use the card anytime you want? From what you wrote, it seemed that they did an exchange for you.
Old 12-31-04, 10:29 AM

I waited in line for about 15 minutes trying to return Metroid Prime 2 for store credit, when I finally got up there the lady scanned it and said it didn't come from Best Buy so they wouldn't take it back...looks like it depends on what monkey they have running the register as to whether or not it will work.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.