Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Not a bargain, a question on return policies, but maybe useful info this time of year

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Not a bargain, a question on return policies, but maybe useful info this time of year

Old 12-25-04, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This xmas I have found myself in possession of 2 copies of the star wars box set (thankfully widescreen). One as a gift, one i scored from my companies white elephant. I do not have a receipt.

I am looking for help from the pros here on this board. If this thread is ok with the mods i can consolidate the info in this main post. What retailers have the best return policies this time of year, especially without a receipt? Im not even really looking for cash back, ill take store credit and just roll it into other dvds.
Old 12-25-04, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are talking about taking it back to a store where it didn't come from, then other people don't like to talk abou that here.

If you know where it came from, they might or might not take it back, just depends on the store, and usually on which CSR you talk to.
Old 12-25-04, 04:33 PM

I just saw a newspiece about how most retailers use your drivers license to track your returns (in conjunction with a 3rd party firm they all hire). Once they determine who the "serial returners" are, they get banned form returning anything anywhere.
Old 12-25-04, 05:31 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Returning DVD's without a receipt??
Rejecting Your Returns...
Old 12-25-04, 05:52 PM
Banned

I'd take it back to Wal-Mart. They usually don't care about not having a receit. If the product is still sealed they can put it back on the self and sell it and give you store credit. If the product is damanged, you can return it for the same thing since they get credit back for selling defected merchandise. My buddy even returned a CO2 tank (it was broke) without a receit and they gave him cash back.
Old 12-25-04, 06:31 PM

There are similar threads in the Stores forum. Isnít that where this discussion should be?
Old 12-25-04, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by smackattack
This xmas I have found myself in possession of 2 copies of the star wars box set (thankfully widescreen). One as a gift, one i scored from my companies white elephant. I do not have a receipt.

I am looking for help from the pros here on this board. If this thread is ok with the mods i can consolidate the info in this main post. What retailers have the best return policies this time of year, especially without a receipt? Im not even really looking for cash back, ill take store credit and just roll it into other dvds.
ask the person that gave it to you if they have a gift receipt for it. Then you can return it to where it was purchased.

Originally Posted by Kamikaze
There are similar threads in the Stores forum. Isnít that where this discussion should be?
yep.
Old 12-25-04, 10:29 PM
Banned

Go to Wal-Mart!!!!
They are so cool when it comes to stuff like this.
Old 12-25-04, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
only problem is if you go to wal mart they will give you the lowest price in the last 30 days....probably 40 or less

hit borders, tower or suncoast and grab 60 store cred and go to town on some sale stuff
Old 12-26-04, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 298 Likes on 197 Posts
I've had great luck with Suncoast, even telling them I didn't buy the dvd set there. People here get all uppity sometimes about returns like that, but I figure if you're honest, it's the retailer's business if they want to have a generous return policy or not.
Old 12-26-04, 03:50 AM

I dont care about them taking my license, im not a serial no-receipt-returner. Im just looking to unload a star wars box. The store forum posts were helpful, and i thing ill try borders as I can use the credit on amazon as well.

As far as wally world giving a low price, or suncoast giving a high price, since im only looking for store credit, i think it balances out in the long run as what i use the credit on will reflect low or high pricing depending on where i go.

Thanks for the help guys, and thanks for pointing me to the store forum. I actually hardly ever leave the warm embrace of the hot deals forum, so this seemed like the place id get the best answers.