Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-11, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
re: Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

And with Sucker Punch, the longer version is the second disc of the set. So naturally Netflix got the first disc.
Old 07-28-11, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

What irritates me is not the price-hike, although I will be scaling my plan down as I do not plan on spending more money. What irritates me is how a company can make a claim (in this case "disc rental is dying, nobody wants it anymore") and then artificially manipulate the results.

Disc rental is not going anywhere, yet many of us will be dumping our disc rental because we see more benefit to the streaming. We are not doing so because we no longer want it ... in fact we will still be renting (or buying more) discs from another source. Still, Netflix will look at the number of cancelled disc-plans and hold up its cretin credo: "Look at all the people cancelling disc-plans -- see! Nobody likes discs anymore!"

This is not far off from all the people who claim video-stores are dead. They began claiming that almost 20 years ago. Just because a couple of greedy corporate giants offed themselves by deliberately running their companies into the ground, doesn't make it true. Many video stores are still doing just fine, even in the current economy. These stores are focused on meeting the customers' needs -- not trying to create their own self-fulfilling prophecy.
Old 07-28-11, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I cannot seem to find the answer to this question: When the plans are split out, will we regain the ability to stream on multiple devices simultaneously? Recently Netflix began limiting streaming to one device at a time (yes, you can currently increase the number of streaming devices you can use by adding more discs to your plan). This was very inconvenient and irritating to my family. We have multiple devices that we use to watch on. We could watch multiple shows at the same time and keep everyone in the house happy.

This will have a significant impact on whether or not I continue my service. I just dropped my blu-ray "access" saving me $2 each month over the next 3 months. At the end of September when I have to choose, I will either go to streaming ($7.99, they lost another $2/month from me) or drop the service altogether.
Old 07-29-11, 08:14 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Nothing to do with Netflix.
That is a studio decision to provide movie only editions including only the theatrical version of the movies.
I think Fox and Warner does it.
It does partly have to do with Netflix. They made this deal with the studios along with the 4 week delay in order to get a lower rate and more streaming. They used to get their movies from other distributors. Now they come straight from the studios after they made the 28 day delay deal.

Last edited by Texan26; 07-29-11 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-29-11, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

The four week thing is a separate issue. The studios imposed the rental only discs on Netflix, red box blockbuster and anyone else who rents movies to people.
Old 07-29-11, 03:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

The four week thing is a separate issue. The studios imposed the rental only discs on Netflix, red box blockbuster and anyone else who rents movies to people.
Blockbuster has Sucker Punch Extended version Blu-ray available to rent. The four week delay and rental copies were all part of the same deal that Netflix made with Warner and other studios. Yes, the studios made the same deal with Redbox and others.
Old 07-29-11, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok so you found one.
Old 07-30-11, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

<object width="512" height="328" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://player.ordienetworks.com/flash/fodplayer.swf" /><param name="flashvars" value="key=15be7bfd8f" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><embed width="512" height="328" flashvars="key=15be7bfd8f" allowfullscreen="true" quality="high" src="http://player.ordienetworks.com/flash/fodplayer.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object>
Old 07-30-11, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Texan26
It does partly have to do with Netflix. They made this deal with the studios along with the 4 week delay in order to get a lower rate and more streaming. They used to get their movies from other distributors. Now they come straight from the studios after they made the 28 day delay deal.

whotony -- the studios don't have the ability to impose this on anybody unless the imposed upon party agrees. As Texan said, Netflix made the deal. Netflix (and all video rental companies) would have been far better off by staying away from the studios and sticking with purchasing through distributors or via retail outlets.
Old 07-30-11, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

they would all go out of business if they bought all the rentals retail.

There was no choice but to agree to this deal from the studios otherwise it would continue to be too costly.
Old 07-31-11, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

they would all go out of business if they bought all the rentals retail.

There was no choice but to agree to this deal from the studios otherwise it would continue to be too costly.
I don't agree with that statement. The prices the studios were laying down were not much better than retail or distributors. Where the "big boys" could realize savings was in processing. By purchasing from the studios, the nationals could receive the product already stripped down (i.e., e "roll" of discs) and could process them into that companies desired format (i.e., into special rental cases with/without covers).

The studios then offered lower prices for stripped down content -- another loss for the consumer.

Any way you cut it, the studios didn't impose anything ... retailers sold their customers out. Just like Hollywood and Blockbuster, Netflix will keep making boneheaded moves until it drives its customer base away.
Old 08-20-11, 08:46 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question - my account gets billed 23rd of every month.

Am I right in thinking that the new price structure won't go into effect until the 23rd September? If I remember rightly, the wording states that all plans will have the new price go in effect on 1st September or whenever the next billing period starts.

Or is it possible that they could pro-rate my account and charge a partial month from 1st September onwards?
Old 08-20-11, 08:52 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
;), but I'd guess no

Originally Posted by DVDMagic
Or is it possible that they could pro-rate my account and charge a partial month from 1st September onwards?
Yes.
Old 08-20-11, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DVDMagic
Quick question - my account gets billed 23rd of every month.

Am I right in thinking that the new price structure won't go into effect until the 23rd September? If I remember rightly, the wording states that all plans will have the new price go in effect on 1st September or whenever the next billing period starts.

They won't prorate it.
Old 08-21-11, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Because my plan ended on 8/21.. I planned my DVDs to end just before then... cause I wasn't sure what effect it might have... Was it changing on 9/1 in some weird way.. was I good to not change until 9/21... either way.. I am sure there will be posts on what happened to those that didn't change until into Sept.. and then we will all know what really happened..
Old 08-21-11, 10:36 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I just dropped Netflix altogether. I am curious to see the numbers for the quarter.
Old 08-21-11, 11:23 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by b2net
Because my plan ended on 8/21.. I planned my DVDs to end just before then... cause I wasn't sure what effect it might have... Was it changing on 9/1 in some weird way.. was I good to not change until 9/21... either way.. I am sure there will be posts on what happened to those that didn't change until into Sept.. and then we will all know what really happened..
I had planned on doing that but might just hold off for another billing period and see what happens but will definitely just be switching to streaming in September,
Old 08-21-11, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

The streaming is great for the animation challenge, and my kids really like it. But so much I want to see is still on disc only. Not positive what I want to do but will probably go to disc only.
Old 08-24-11, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/net...ironment-24862

Analyst: Netflix Facing ‘Uncertain’ Environment
23 Aug, 2011
By: Erik Gruenwedel

As online disc rental pioneer Netflix continues with an aggressive international expansion of its all-you-can-eat streaming service, it also is entering a prolonged period of difficult earnings, according to an analyst.

Eric Wold, research director with Merriman Capital in San Francisco, said Netflix shares have dropped 26% in value since he downgraded the stock to a “neutral” rating on July 6. The analyst now is discounting further 10% to 20% Netflix’s stock valuation for 2012.

Principal culprits include burgeoning costs involved rolling out streaming service in 43 Latin American countries, Mexico and the Caribbean, and the unknown impact of a 60% monthly price increase (to $15.98 from $9.99) to select domestic subscribers beginning Sept. 1.

Indeed, many analysts say the price increase could see upwards of 15% of Netflix’s 25 million subscribers jettison the service in favor of other home entertainment alternatives such as Amazon Prime, kiosks and video stores — many of which offer pricing options that rival Redbox and Blockbuster Express.

Netflix CEO Reed Hastings and CFO David Wells, in the company’s most recent analysts’ call, confirmed that short-term subscriber loss was inevitable in the third quarter as a result of the price increase. In addition, Netflix’s most recent content deal with Telemundo for 1,200 hours of repurposed Spanish-language TV programming underscored the prolific spending required to launch streaming service across such a large region.

Indeed, correspondence with Netflix personnel revealed the company is focusing much of its resources and attention on the launch.

“Although there is the potential for increased gross profits per domestic sub depending on how the price increase takes hold and the shift in subscription type, we believe this is likely to be offset by increased launch costs and initial losses internationally along with the potential for higher marketing spend (subscriber acquisition costs) domestically,” Wold wrote in an Aug. 23 note. “Given an increasingly uncertain environment (both competitively and operationally), we believe it is prudent to be more conservative with our valuation multiple assumptions.”
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/cab...treaming-24872

Study: 22% of Broadband Homes Use Netflix Streaming
24 Aug, 2011
By: Erik Gruenwedel

Cord-cutting — the buzz term downplayed by cable and satellite TV operators to describe subscribers who downsize or sever their monthly bill in favor of cheaper over-the-top services such as Netflix — is picking up momentum, according to a new report.

Dallas-based research firm Parks Associates, in a blog post, said 22% of respondents in a recent survey have, or will scale back their monthly cable bill, including 3.9 million people who said they watch Internet-based video entertainment.

These subscribers typically spend about $20 month on video services and watch an average of about 4.2 hours of Web-based video on their HDTV a week. Indeed, Comcast and Time Warner Cable reported a combined loss of 300,000 video subscribers during their most recent fiscal reports.

The research firm said 22% of broadband homes now use Netflix’s streaming service, with many others accessing content on YouTube. In fact, Parks recommended that set-top manufacturers incorporate a YouTube app in their devices similar to what TV manufacturers are doing.

Park noted that nearly 50% of all flat-panel TVs sold in 2011 will be Internet-connectable and about two-thirds of U.S. broadband households will have a video game console connected to the Internet. Consumer sales of Internet-connectable TV devices will go to nearly 350 million units worldwide by 2015.

Meanwhile, the firm said efforts by media companies and cable operators to retain subscribers through TV Everywhere platforms will be ineffective going forward.

Specifically, Parks said just 11% of subs, or 6.5 million households, would be willing to pay a premium of no more than $15 for ubiquitous access to content through TV Everywhere. It suggests TV Everywhere proponents entice subs through no-frills packages.
Old 08-24-11, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

which may be why there's talk of Netflix expanding into video games.
Old 08-25-11, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by davidh777
“Although there is the potential for increased gross profits per domestic sub depending on how the price increase takes hold and the shift in subscription type, we believe this is likely to be offset by increased launch costs and initial losses internationally along with the potential for higher marketing spend (subscriber acquisition costs) domestically,” Wold wrote in an Aug. 23 note.
So Netflix thinks some of their profit gained might be offset by the higher spend on finding new subscribers. I know they've always spent a ton on advertising, but wonder if they've calculated how much it would cost to spend a little of that acquisition money to retain current subscribers.
Old 08-28-11, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

So I sat down today to stream "Charade", a movie I've yet to see, and it's the worst quality I've seen yet. Full frame, audio comes and goes, and the transfer looks like 20 year old VHS. I figured the quality would be great because the cover art for the selection shows the Criterion cover, but it's obviously not. And, the new BD is not available to rent. Dammit.
Old 08-29-11, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tommyp007
So I sat down today to stream "Charade", a movie I've yet to see, and it's the worst quality I've seen yet. Full frame, audio comes and goes, and the transfer looks like 20 year old VHS. I figured the quality would be great because the cover art for the selection shows the Criterion cover, but it's obviously not. And, the new BD is not available to rent. Dammit.
That sucks. 'Charade' is public domain. Hopefully a good copy makes its way to Hulu+ as part of the Criterion Collection.
Old 08-29-11, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, that was always the thing about the Criterion Charade--you could buy a cheapie version if you wanted, but the Criterion was the only one that was actually watchable. Though mine was the old non-anamorphic, I believe, so I got the recent BD deal. Planning to watch it for the challenge.
Old 08-29-11, 11:22 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Funny you should ask that as I have been wondering that myself lately.
Anyone have an answer?
Spotify.com

It's legal, so no one go accusing me of posting an illegal service. I hate people who don't buy their music!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.