Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Question about Blockbuster PVD's..

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-04, 04:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do they come with the cover art? and is there any stickers on the DVD? or markings? If not, I was just thinking of something.

I got 25 DVD Cases coming in the mail. There just like ones youd buy at a retail store and comes with a DVD.

If the BB PVD's come with the cover art, and DVD with no markings or stickers on it, you could just switch it to a different DVD case (One of the one's im getting in the mail), and would be the same as buying from a retail store, for a cheaper price

You know what I mean?

PLMK the condition, on these Blockbuster PVD's..
Old 12-04-04, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
For the most part they do come with the coverart. They have some overstock that they sell without the coverart. Sometimes the UPC codes may be different on the back of the DVD cuz the big rental stores (BBV and Hollywood Video) will get DVDs that are specially produced for them to rent out. For more independent titles, you may get the DVD issued by Dej Productions instead of the mainstream studio (e.g. Monster is a Dej Productions title when Columbia Tri-Star is the studio for the DVD at retail stores).

I've never seen any stickers on the DVDs. Most stores stopped this 2+ years ago.

The condition is a YMMV. These are previous rentals. Some titles get rented a lot so they'll look like someone scrubbed the floor with them. Some titles get rented less or not at all and therefore look near-mint to mint. If it's a more mainstream title, BBV will usually have many titles pre-viewed so you can ask the employee to let you look at several to find one in good condition (it's better to do this when the store isn't that busy).

Also, for the most part you won't get inserts.
Old 12-04-04, 07:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the help
Old 12-04-04, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kornboy- this is not a slam, just curious, have you seriously never been inside a BBV to see how they package their PVDs? The BBV case is not all that different from a standard keep case. Just has their logo on the inside and no room for an insert, but typically their PVDs don't come with inserts so it won't matter what case you put it into. What is the reason you want to switch cases? They won't look any different on your shelves.
Old 12-05-04, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by raytrade
Kornboy- this is not a slam, just curious, have you seriously never been inside a BBV to see how they package their PVDs? The BBV case is not all that different from a standard keep case. Just has their logo on the inside and no room for an insert, but typically their PVDs don't come with inserts so it won't matter what case you put it into. What is the reason you want to switch cases? They won't look any different on your shelves.
personally, I've got a ton of original keepcases that BBV was gonna throw away and they let me have.

Most ppl on this site are DVD collectors. That said, we'd like to have the original of everything if possible. If I buy used DVDs from BBV, I just toss the BBV cases and put the DVD and coverart into a keepcase.
Old 12-05-04, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yea, Kornboy. I've been doing that for years. I also keep the blockbuster cases. When it's time to trade some in there I just put the ones I'm trading in the Blockbuster cases and keep the regular cases for the next Blockbuster PVDs. I also keep the insert if it's a DVD that I am upgrading. They never care if they have inserts or not.

"What is the reason you want to switch cases? They won't look any different on your shelves."

Those cases do look different. But only from the top. Plus the plastic is different. I guess this is one of my pet peeves. I don;t care for there cases one bit.....yuck.

I did the same thing as Dabomb. Blockbuster had a huge garbage bag filled with original keepcases. I asked them if I could take them. I think I hauled in well over 100 cases and about 5 of them were doubles. Now whenever I get a marred case or a case with a hard to release hub I just exchange them and throw the bad ones out. I still have about 15 left.

Last edited by C_Fletch; 12-05-04 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-05-04, 08:30 PM

Hmm, when i picked up 3 for $25, they swapped out the cases for me.