Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Beware of new STL glitch at Amazon! (IT'S DEAD, DON'T PANIC! IT'S NOT BACK!)

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 11-28-04, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It appears within the last week some people are starting to lose the ability to STL with their accounts at Amazon. The problem is after placing an order no option is given to STL with others by adding e-mail addresses, or sending to friends already on your list. I don't know if it is a temporary glitch, or if Amazon is up to something else. And I have no idea how many accounts are affected currently. There are a couple of threads started in the STL forum but I thought another started here would alert some that don't regulary visit that forum.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=397511
Old 11-28-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was wondering why I haven't been receiving the usual volume of love e-mails.
Old 11-28-04, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i got 29 emails today for the same product from the same person.
Old 11-29-04, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
My new problem is that the system is not applying the STL price to the order. This, and I get several STL e-mails as well.
Old 11-29-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DVD Josh
My new problem is that the system is not applying the STL price to the order. This, and I get several STL e-mails as well.
I just placed a single order and the STL discount was applied, but the website wouldn't let me STL with anyone. I don't know what is going on with the e-mails. I had one person who sent me love and only received a few e-mails. Another person I received about 30 e-mails all for the same item. However my STL page has about half the items typically available at any given time. I don't know if it is related to the current STL problems, or if some of the recent hot sales available at other online stores are slowing some of the Amazon sales down.
Old 12-01-04, 11:46 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by kevin75
i got 29 emails today for the same product from the same person.
Same here.
Old 12-01-04, 03:49 PM

Just talked with a "Dave" in CS. He stated that this was the first he had heard of the problem and was able to verify/reproduce it. He stated that he would be passing the information on to the web support team.

So, here's hopin' !
Old 12-01-04, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They seem to ALWAYS have problems with STL... Makes you wonder if sometimes they're not creating these to save some $MONEY$!
Old 12-02-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I received the following e-mail from Amazon this morning after complaining about not being able to use my account to STL on orders. I only described the problem I was having and asked if they could fix it. I never said anything about having them send STL discounts for me. Obviously the message didn't resolve my question or problem.

Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.com.

Our Share the Love feature is currently undergoing evaluation by
the program developers. I apologize for any inconvenience this
may cause you.

Unfortunately, we cannot send a Share the Love discount for you if the option did not appear after you placed your order.

I hope that you will be able to take advantage of future discount
offers.

Thank you for shopping at Amazon.com.

Please let us know if this e-mail resolved your question:
Old 12-03-04, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by LASERMOVIES
I received the following e-mail from Amazon this morning after complaining about not being able to use my account to STL on orders. I only described the problem I was having and asked if they could fix it. I never said anything about having them send STL discounts for me. Obviously the message didn't resolve my question or problem.

[/B]
That is an outright idiot response......Glad I have finally given up new dvd purchases for the most part. I am going to wait until they drop in price which is quick anymore.
Old 12-03-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by djones6746
That is an outright idiot response......Glad I have finally given up new dvd purchases for the most part. I am going to wait until they drop in price which is quick anymore.
I sent another message yesterday and got an even more bizarre answer today. I wasn't sure what they meant by "evaluation" in the first message but it appears my problem isn't a glitch with the web site. It looks as if Amazon intentionally disabled the STL option on my account. No specifics on the reason why, or if it is temporary. I wonder if they are only doing this with accounts with a lot of friends, and send frequent STL discounts to others? I know I would fall into that category.

Thank you for writing back to us at Amazon.com.

I have reviewed our previous correspondence and your account.

I sympathize with your frustration in this matter. However, please understand that the information provided in our last message correctly represents our policy at this time.

As my colleague previously mentioned, our Share the Love feature is currently undergoing evaluation by the program developers. This is why the option to send a Share the Love discount did not appear at the end of the ordering process for you as it normally has. Please know you are not the only customer who is being affected by this evaluation. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thank you for your understanding. We hope to see you again at
Amazon.com.

Please let us know if this e-mail resolved your question:

Last edited by Laser Movies; 12-03-04 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-04-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by LASERMOVIES
I sent another message yesterday and got an even more bizarre answer today. I wasn't sure what they meant by "evaluation" in the first message but it appears my problem isn't a glitch with the web site. It looks as if Amazon intentionally disabled the STL option on my account. No specifics on the reason why, or if it is temporary. I wonder if they are only doing this with accounts with a lot of friends, and send frequent STL discounts to others? I know I would fall into that category.

[/B]
Oh well....their prices are not that good anyway even with the STL discount. With no coupons...the only time I will be shopping their site will be when I receive my gift certificates from the Amazon card. I am surprised Amazon/Bank One have not pulled this promotion from me. Never have paid interest and have received hundreds of dollars worth of gc's. They are paying me to have the card as I put everything from groceries to household bills on this card every month. Guess we will see what happens in the near future.
Old 12-11-04, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It has been a few weeks since I lost the ability to STL with my account at Amazon but as of this morning it appears to be back. Hopefully whatever Amazon was doing was only temporary and everything will be back to normal now. I was just about ready to open a new account if it continued any longer.
Old 10-03-05, 10:33 PM

I see STL still showing up on my account page. What happened to the STL DVDTalk forum? I was looking for the link to the STL request engine.
Old 10-03-05, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Amazon discontinued the STL program earlier in the year and everything on DVDTalk was removed with its demise.