Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DVD Planet - Best Buy level of Customer Service

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-04, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I placed an order on October 14th for: Solaris:CC and The Last Temptation of Christ:CC, came out to $48.93 with a 10% off coupon that they send out when you make an account on their site.

I realized the next day I really didn't want them, so I emailed them asking to cancel it. Their website said they could cancel an order if they were told before it shipped. I got shipment confirmation on the 16th in the afternoon and a response in the evening saying it had already shipped and I could just write refused on the box and get my money back.

So then I waited and waited. Then around the 1st of November I got it, wrote "refused" on it and put it back in the mailbox unopened. About a week later I called them up for the first time asking if they had recieved the box and when they would get around to getting a credit back on my debit card. They said they hadn't recieved it yet and to call or email them back in a week.

3 weeks and numerous emails later they still claim to have not gotten the box.

Here's an email I got back on 19th of November:

Thank you for writing DVDPlanet!
 Dear valued customer,

In response to your recent e mail, We still can't find your order in our
system. You should try and replace your order again. Sorry!
How am I going to "replace" my order again and what is with the weird ASCII characters?

I really don't know what to do anymore, that $48.93 is over about a day's worth of work for me it's sad I'll probably never see it again.
Old 11-22-04, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So lets get this straight - you complain because YOU canceled the order and they shipped quickly?

Post office "refuse" mail can sometimes take forever to get back to its original destination. Not only that, it took 2 weeks for the original parcel to get to you..and its been less than 3 weeks since you "refused" service If you really cared about the $48.53, you should have spent $7 to pay for a trackable service via Fed Ex.

This is not DVD Empire's fault.
Old 11-22-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I emailed them on Friday morning, the package didn't get mailed until Saturday afternoon. I also tried calling them spuratically on Friday and Saturday, but theiy phone system was down. This could have been avoided from the get go.
Old 11-22-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I highly doubt the thing shipped on Saturday. More likely than not it was shipped on Friday, and there was nothing you could do calling on Friday. Same thing with Amazon..once it enters shipping process, they can't stop it.
Old 11-23-04, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have to side with DVDPlanet on this too, based on the info posted. E-Tailers get so many orders that they usually cannot cancel an order once it has been sent to the warehouse for processing. This does not always happen the day an order ships. It may take the warehouse a day or two to ship the order but it is still too late to cancel. This is actually pretty standard policy with many e-tailers from Amazon to DeepDiscountDVD. Also, I know from experience that "refused" packages can take weeks to get back from the post office. (I work for an e-tailer) I have seen several times where a package takes 6 to 8 weeks to get back. One package shipped May 2003 actually got back to us February 2004. That one was a record for a domestic "refused" shipment. We had one international "refused" return sent June 2003 that came back May 2004! Of course, these are the exceptions. Most return packages get back within a couple of weeks, but these delays do happen.
Old 11-23-04, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I did place the order at around 10pm Thursday night, there wasn't much time between when I tried to call and when I placed the order.

I just assumed refused mail would get sent back using the same service that it originally got sent with. I guess I'll just wait and see.
Old 11-30-04, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I got my money back today, so my faith in DVD Planet has been restored.
Old 12-01-04, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad it worked out for you, and to hear that they did something right. I've avoided them for the past year based on an ugly experience when they seemed incapable of resolving a problem - maybe someday I'll give them another try.