Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DeepDiscountDVD nightmare - Unauthorized Charges

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-04, 01:02 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like many DVD Talkers, I placed an order with DeepDiscountDVD.com (DDD) to take advantage of their 20% off sale this week.

I placed a modest order on Sunday night - nine items for a total of $149.47. I saved about $36 off of their regular prices. Not too shabby.

I tried their "Bill Me Later" program but the next morning I got a notice saying that it wasn't accepted and the order was cancelled. No problem. I just placed the order again using my credit card.

Later that day (Monday) I got a pre-authorization charge on my account for $121.96 - two items were back-ordered so they weren't charged. No problem.

Today I checked my order status and found that the order had been cancelled (even though some of the items still showed a ship date, etc.) so I called DDD to check why. They didn't know, but they said they could re-place the order using the same pre-authorization (that still hadn't cleared out of my account).

After verifying the order and giving the CSR my credit card number again (for "verification") I was put on hold and then hung up on. I checked my credit card online statement again and saw ANOTHER pre-authorization for $121.96 plus a new charge from DDD for $29.89.

I called DDD back to find out what the $29.89 was and to just cancel the order in total, since my bank account was now down by nearly $275. I know that they haven't actually *charged* my account yet, but that's $275 that I won't have access to for a week - that means I can't buy my prescription or food for up to 5 (more) business days.

The CSR told me that the order was "unable to be cancelled" and that I should just call my bank and have it reversed once the charge goes through in a few days. She also didn't see anything in the computer for $29.89 and said to just have my bank reverse that as well once the charge posts. This is TOTALLY unacceptable to me.

I know they're busy with the sale, but I've ordered thousands of dollars worth of merchandise through DDD and it stinks to not be able to order from them again.

I'll update this in a few days once I see if any of those three charges go through.
Old 11-19-04, 02:00 PM
Suspended

Nice to see that Deep Discount is up to their shitty tricks again. Sure it's not the same as putting everyone's private information out in the open for the world to see, but it is more proof that DDD is run by a bunch of spastic, retarded baboons.

- Proud to be in the no 20% off sale club.
Old 11-19-04, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
It seems like stating the obvious, but you should expect inferior service from discount merchants. Think about it, if they are making little or no profit, how can they afford to pay good salaries and buy better servers, etc. I order from them knowing full well that it might be a hassle, although it usually isn't. I weigh that against the dollar savings. That's one reason I avoid Wal-Mart: the stress of going there is not worth the few pennies I might or might not save. The same thing applies when you stay at a cheap motel or eat at a cheap restaurant.
Old 11-19-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just calm down - pre authorizations drop off your statement in a few days if they aren't put through.

You are acting like they are stealing money from you.

If you seriously can't buy your food or prescriptions because there is a pre-authorization for about $200 on your card that will drop off in a few days - I would suggest you forget about buying DVDs for awhile and conccentrate on spending money on important things like food or drugs.

Last edited by chanster; 11-19-04 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-19-04, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Quatermass
That's one reason I avoid Wal-Mart: the stress of going there is not worth the few pennies I might or might not save.
I have to ask: WHAT STRESS? Seriously, Wal-Mart is the easiest and most hassle-free when it comes to returns and exchanges. I have never had a problem with them in that regard. Does any of the other stuff really matter? Who cares if the employees are clueless. You should know what you want and not need to rely on them. If you need advice on buying a TV or DVD (or whatever), go to a speciality store. Otherwise, go to Wal-Mart and save a few bucks. You can't have it both ways.

BTW, before anyone asks: No, I'm NOT a Wal-Mart employee. God forbid.
Old 11-19-04, 04:02 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Originally posted by chanster
Just calm down - pre authorizations drop off your statement in a few days if they aren't put through.
Well, it's been six days so far and it hasn't dropped off yet. And now today they put ANOTHER two authorizations through.

The Visa card I'm using is tied to a checking account, so there's only so much they can tie up, but they've run me down to $26.

If you seriously can't buy your food or prescriptions because there is a pre-authorization for about $200 on your card that will drop off in a few days - I would suggest you forget about buying DVDs for awhile and conccentrate on spending money on important things like food or drugs.
When I choose to spend $150 on DVDs and my account is charged ~$275 without the DVDs being shipped, then yes, it's a hassle.

I know they're a discount house and they've had a huge run of orders this week, but I expect them to make good on it once I get a CSR on the phone, not just tell me "tough, we have your credit card number now and we're going to use it whether you like it or not." (that's not an exact quote but it's close)

Even with purchase protection on my account it could take up to ten days to make the funds available to me again.

Thank god I'm expecting another cheque this week.

It's just not worth the hour and a half I spent on the phone with my bank and DDD to save $36.
Old 11-19-04, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts
Originally posted by Vandelay_Inds
Yeah, it is not really worth it to save a few bucks only to gain a huge migraine. DDD has proven to be one of the most incompetent and irresponsible merchants out there, and they will get not one more cent from me.
Yup. I tried to get in on the 20% off deal last year and placed my order in November. The order was for DVD box sets to give as Xmas gifts. Naturally, they failed to ship prior to the holidays so I bought what I needed at Wal-Mart for slightly cheaper than what I would have gotten at DDD anyway.

Now for the fun. I tried to cancel the order 3 days before Christmas and was told it was too late to cancel because the order had already been sent to the warehouse. OK, fine, I'll just go through the hassle of returning it.

The order didn't ship until January 8th! That's 17 days later. Even with the two national holidays in that stretch that is absolute nonsense.

That was the one and only time I tried to order anything from DDD.
Old 11-19-04, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally posted by DaBargainHunta
I have to ask: WHAT STRESS? Seriously, Wal-Mart is the easiest and most hassle-free when it comes to returns and exchanges. I have never had a problem with them in that regard. Does any of the other stuff really matter? Who cares if the employees are clueless. You should know what you want and not need to rely on them. If you need advice on buying a TV or DVD (or whatever), go to a speciality store.

It's not the employees, it's the customers. Usually, I have "WalMart rage" within seconds of entering the parking lot. Hundreds of SUVs jockeying for "the ultimate spot", dropping off and picking up loved ones right in front of the door. If I make it inside without having an anger stroke, there are masses of people jamming narrow aisles with strollers, walkers and those little motorized scooter things. Then there are those who hold family reunions in the only passable part of the aisles - carrying on long conversations and holding up traffic flow. Once you get what you are looking for, it's always a long line at the checkouts.

Otherwise, go to Wal-Mart and save a few bucks.
Not necessarily, Target is often cheaper and way less hassle.

You can't have it both ways.
That was exactly my point.

Edit: Sorry to rant, I can feel my blood pressure rising just thinking about Walmart. I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Last edited by Quatermass; 11-19-04 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-19-04, 08:02 PM

It's not the employees, it's the customers. Usually, I have "WalMart rage" within seconds of entering the parking lot. Hundreds of SUVs jockeying for "the ultimate spot", dropping off and picking up loved ones right in front of the door. If I make it inside without having an anger stroke, there are masses of people jamming narrow aisles with strollers, walkers and those little motorized scooter things. Then there are those who hold family reunions in the only passable part of the aisles - carrying on long conversations and holding up traffic flow. Once you get what you are looking for, it's always a long line at the checkouts.
So true. I went to a Walmart grand opening last month. It was disgusting..
Old 11-20-04, 11:03 AM
Suspended

Well, I was able to find all of the DVDs I wanted at other stores for only $12 more (with shipping) than I would have spent at DDD (based on a $150 order), and I'll get them this week instead of two weeks from now. So I guess the lure of 20% off is really more of a Siren's call then a super bargain.

I've heard from two DDD reps via e-mail (due to my posting on this forum) and while they both explained why they couldn't help me (once they put an authorization through even they can't cancel it) I figure my problems were the results of computer glitches (likely caused by the sale) and improper training (which is something I hope they'll fix) for their CSRs.

Since my bank was able to cancel the authorizations I'm not QUITE as angry with DDD as I was. But it took posting on this forum to hear back from anyone there who actually had the power to help me. My attempts at phone escalation were met with hangups.
Old 11-21-04, 04:18 AM

Well I just did about $1500.00 worth of DVD buying from DDD, not one problem, and saved more money than if I had switched to Geico. In two years I have only had one problem with an order, they shipped the wrong DVD. They sent me a postage paid return box, and got my new DVD six days later. Thanks DDD for the great prices and great service!
Old 11-21-04, 12:49 PM
Suspended

Glad to see you've had a good experience with the company, Cool New Member. I'd had a mostly good experience with them until now - sure they've always been slow to ship and maybe one in twenty times they'll send the wrong DVD, but heck, you can save a buck or two by dialing down the center with DDD.

I guess the aggrevation makes the few dollars not worth it to me if I have to spend a few hours trying to fix my order. I'd make more money spending that extra time doing work for a client.
Old 11-21-04, 06:39 PM

My thoughts exactly

I always chuckle when people are waiting for someone to back out of a parking space so they can get it and I park a few feet away and walk past their car while they're still waiting.

I try to get in and out of WalMart as fast as humanly possible.