Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Canada and DeepDiscountDVDS

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Canada and DeepDiscountDVDS

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-04, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
I ordered about 30 DVDs in late November and received them about 2 weeks later. Oddly enough, I think DDD's shipping is faster during the holiday season. If I recall, this happened last year too.
Old 12-17-04, 09:46 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
I think DDD's shipping is faster during the holiday season. If I recall, this happened last year too.
It probably has more to do with USPS. Perhaps they have more motivation to rush their packages to their destinations for the hoiday.
Old 01-04-05, 11:26 AM
Cool New Member

Just wondering, if Canadian R1 DVDs are the same as US R1 DVDs?
Old 01-04-05, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by AT71

Yes, Region 1 is North America.
Old 01-04-05, 11:46 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by billy9215
Yes, Region 1 is North America.
So, I can safely assume that it comes from one source as in distribution by the US studios.
Old 01-04-05, 11:47 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by AT71
It depends. For the major they are the same. Some Canadian DVDs have bilinqual covers (e.g, recent MGM DVDs). Some are flat out different (e.g, Good Will Hunting).
Old 01-05-05, 12:44 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks guys.
Old 02-11-05, 07:37 PM

Hi guys! I have been a regular buyer of DVDs from Amazon.com and now want to place a large order of DVDs that amounts to approximately 650$US!!! I wanted to use a different company and initially had chosen DVDPlanet.com for their outstandingly low prices, but am skeptical of them after certain reviews... ANy Canadian resident with experience with them please report their dealings with them.

I now want to go with DDD.com and use a Price Match from DVDPlanet.com for my DVDs. I did a test price match and they accepted. I have e-mailed them and am waiting on a reply for the limit of price matches I can do in a single order.

Basically, I am worried about customs charges on my DVDs if I get nabbed. We're talking about 650$US, and that's without shipping charges. All the times I have used Amazon.com I have never had problems with customs, nor have ever been stopped, so I feel confident in using them, yet DDD.com can offer me the best prices (providing I get my price matches).

Would you think it is worth it to risk going with DDD and the customs charge? I am a resident of Montreal, Quebec. Would the customs charge be large, and I am presuming the chances of being nabbed would be quite big considering I will have a very big shipment being sent...
Old 02-11-05, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by AnthonyM
Hi guys! I have been a regular buyer of DVDs from Amazon.com and now want to place a large order of DVDs that amounts to approximately 650$US!!! I wanted to use a different company and initially had chosen DVDPlanet.com for their outstandingly low prices, but am skeptical of them after certain reviews... ANy Canadian resident with experience with them please report their dealings with them.

I now want to go with DDD.com and use a Price Match from DVDPlanet.com for my DVDs. I did a test price match and they accepted. I have e-mailed them and am waiting on a reply for the limit of price matches I can do in a single order.

Basically, I am worried about customs charges on my DVDs if I get nabbed. We're talking about 650$US, and that's without shipping charges. All the times I have used Amazon.com I have never had problems with customs, nor have ever been stopped, so I feel confident in using them, yet DDD.com can offer me the best prices (providing I get my price matches).

Would you think it is worth it to risk going with DDD and the customs charge? I am a resident of Montreal, Quebec. Would the customs charge be large, and I am presuming the chances of being nabbed would be quite big considering I will have a very big shipment being sent...
With an order of that amount I think it pretty much guaranteed that you will get hit with customs charges. You would have to pay 7% on the Canadian amount. On $650 US it would be around $57.00.

I would wait until the next DDD 20% off sale. That would save you $130.00 US just on the cost of the dvds alone.
Old 02-12-05, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by gjamesm
I would wait until the next DDD 20% off sale. That would save you $130.00 US just on the cost of the dvds alone.
Thank you for your response. One more question...

How often is this sale and when would the next one be expected?
Old 02-12-05, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by gjamesm
With an order of that amount I think it pretty much guaranteed that you will get hit with customs charges. You would have to pay 7% on the Canadian amount. On $650 US it would be around $57.00.

You would also have to pay PST as well and a $5.00 service charge.

Cheers
Old 02-12-05, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by AnthonyM
Thank you for your response. One more question...

How often is this sale and when would the next one be expected?
Sale is once a year, usually in the fall.
Old 02-13-05, 06:21 AM

I've never used DDD & I probably won't.

I buy all of my dvds online from either amazon.ca, futureshop.ca or bestbuy.ca

i find futureshop overall has the cheapest prices, but it's VERY easy to find amazon.ca coupons. I just order $50 worth and apply the "$10 off $50" coupon that's in the bargain's forum.

As well i'd like to point out, if you order from canadian company's you're helping out canadian economy, which could lower prices in the long run.
Old 02-13-05, 07:25 AM

Futureshop.ca and best buy.ca are owned by Best Buy in the US
Amazon.ca is owned by Amason.com in the US.

The Canadian gov't takes enough taxes from me as it is.
Old 02-13-05, 11:34 AM

yes they are but they're business's located in canada.

I'll stay away from political talk, but i don't mind paying a bit more tax money when my dad's, grandmothers, aunts & sister-in-law's cancer medication/treatment was free
Old 02-13-05, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kris81
yes they are but they're business's located in canada.

I'll stay away from political talk, but i don't mind paying a bit more tax money when my dad's, grandmothers, aunts & sister-in-law's cancer medication/treatment was free
Yes, another can of worms altogether...