Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DDD's Issue 10/8-10/10

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DDD's Issue 10/8-10/10

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-04, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DDD's Issue 10/8-10/10

All,

Sorry I haven't posted sooner about the whole DDD issue this weekend, I was actually in Chicago visiting my brother, his wife and their new baby.....

The upside is I was able to go to Itasca and meet with the folks at Deep Discount DVD.

Of course the topic of the problems of the past weekend were discussed and I got a pretty extensive run down of what happened and what they did to address it:

The problems with the account security issues came out of a new cashe system they deployed through their ISP to help get their systems ready for the holiday buying rush

An error occurred which enabled users to log in and instead of seeing their account they saw the cashed info from another account. NO credit card info was disclosed because of this and DDD took the phenomenally costly step of canceling ALL orders during that time to ensure that NO ORDER went out for someone from an account that even could possibly have cashed info.

DDD is a good company, they didn't do this maliciously and they've worked to make it right. I am appalled at some of the flambasting some of you have done to David Barker and other members of DDD who have posted to the forum. They post here to help communicate with you, their customers so that you can know from the horses mouth what the heck is going on.

By ripping him a new one, you're shooting the messenger who ONLY has your best interest at heart.

Now if there are further legitimate issues about the errors from last weekend, please go ahead and post them, but do so WITHOUT the attacks!
Old 10-14-04, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For anyone who is confused by Geoff's post, substitute cache for cash

Last edited by NCYankee; 10-14-04 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-15-04, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well said Geoff!

I have already reordered the one that got cancelled, and will continue to use them like nothing happened.

They took commendable steps to correct the problem (unlike a certain competitor of theirs), and will most certainly continue to get my business.
Old 10-15-04, 02:17 AM

This is not an attack, but I am legitimately disheartened by the fact that I had to come to this forum to see their explanation. I received an email a few days ago from a complete stranger stating that he could see my account, and he even told me what my password hint was. I understand that my CC info was not compromised, but I am more upset about the invasion to my privacy. After all, all of my personal info plus my order history were available for others to see. I do realize that errors occur, and I do not want to blame innocent compnay representatives. I appreciate the fact that they are attempting to make this right for those that they feel have been affected by this. I do, however, want to voice my opinion that there are more parties afflicted than just those who had their orders canceled. I think DDD is a good company with very competitive prices, and I would like to continue to shop there. But they have given me no assurances that this will not happen again. Again, they must realize that not everyone frequents this forum, and there may be many others like me who received emails with no explanation at all.
Old 10-15-04, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

People got pretty mean, without all the facts. But to be fair it was scary, but if no CC info could be seen, to me its alright.

I'll being using them soon.
Old 10-15-04, 10:47 AM
Cool New Member

Browser Issues

It looks like they're having some browser-related issues on their website. I was unable to login to my account using either Mozilla or Firefox on my PC at work, even after clearing cookies. I had no problem using IE. One of their CS people said they were getting a lot of calls about this.
Old 10-15-04, 10:48 AM
Suspended

I'm sorry for getting angry - no, wait, check that. I'm totally justified in my anger - I'm just sorry for presenting it in that way. But you have to admit that this is an unbelievably HUGE concern, and frankly the handling of it has been piss-poor at best.

Anyway, for the legitimate concerns left still un-addressed:

01) What assurances do we have that this wont happen again. We've seen that DDD's constant testing on the live server is dangerous - the last 20% off coupon was leaked early because they test on the live servers and now this incident. So what's to keep this (or something similar) from happening again.

02) What happens if this DOES happen again. 40+ hours of response time is inexcusable. If I was running the company and we had an issue like this happen over the weekend and left hanging until Monday, heads would be rolling. (Of course then if I was running the show, I wouldn’t migrate changes to the server on a Friday.)

03) When will DDD remove the old account information from closed orders? To be honest, this can be an even BIGGER risk than the credit card information getting out. I don’t care if forum members look at the huge pile of shitty DVDs that I buy - big deal, everyone knows I love schlock. But lets say that Unscrupulous Person logged on, saw all my old orders, saw my address attached to these hundreds of discs and says "Hey, this guy is only two hours away! Lets go pay him a "visit" Monday afternoon when he's at work!"

04) When are we going to see a better turn around from customer service? If it hadn’t been for this forum, I would be TOTALLY in the dark about what was going on. No emails from the company (aside from one form letter way early on), no response to my follow up e-mails, NOTHING after this very serious breach of security. To be blunt, the follow up on this matter has been a joke. I've been trying to communicate with them for a couple of days now, with no response. When Time/Life screwed up, they were breaking down my door to make sure everything was ok. I've yet to see anything but one form letter from DDD in my in-box.

At this moment I feel ZERO remorse from the company for screwing up in a big way, and I have absolutely no confidence in their security right now. In short - why should I trust them?

Last edited by El-Kabong; 10-15-04 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-15-04, 11:06 AM

Is it safe to log into DDD now?
Old 10-15-04, 11:26 AM

OK. Let us give them a chance to make things right. Surely no one thought that they did it out of malice, but just unintentional malpractice.

How do they regain the level of customer trust they had before this fiasco?. Well, the ball is in their court. DDD will have to play error free ball for the a long time to come, before I will be ready to return. It wasn't the customers who caused the mess, in fact it was the customers who discovered the mess, and it was ethical customers who alerted others to the danger. All alerts which should have come from the vendor first.

DDD will have to revamp the whole customer interface system, with multi layered firewalling, and heavy encryption tools to make a customer's data only accessable to the customer, and the DDD transaction processing staff. Software migration projects will have to be done with the site shutdown, with prior notification of said shutdowns, to their customer base. They have email tools. Why are they not used to proactively alert and inform. They will have to become far better at addressing the communications needs of their customers. It is up to them to prove that they have taking to heart the lessons from this failure, and have put all the right tools and procedures in place to earn back my business. Fool me once, shame on you...well you know the rest of it.

NetResults

Last edited by netresults; 10-19-04 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-15-04, 12:15 PM
Cool New Member

I just wish my stuff would go out the door. There was an authorization placed on my card two days ago, the amount of which coincides precisely with several DVDs I have on order, including Tuesday preorders. Still no shipping notification, though.
Old 10-15-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Diskfiend
I just wish my stuff would go out the door. There was an authorization placed on my card two days ago, the amount of which coincides precisely with several DVDs I have on order, including Tuesday preorders. Still no shipping notification, though.
You and me, both...

I assume the shipping delays are a result of the website problem, but I had this order in a few days before that problem came up, so one might expect that the 10/12 pre-orders would have been in the shipping pipeline before that arose.
Old 10-15-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DDD.com hasn't shipping my Hellboy DC yet, usually they ship a week in advance. If they aren't going to get it to me by at least the end of next week, I might as well cancel and order it when they have the super sale. No point in losing money when I have to wait either way.

EDIT: Oh and ordered it about a month ago before the problems.
Old 10-15-04, 02:03 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Sex Fiend
I assume the shipping delays are a result of the website problem
The DDD rep basically said as much in the other thread, and that shipping of orders had resumed on Wednesday. Still, that was 48 hours ago. To make it more frustrating, I'm off work next week, but instead of having a ton of new stuff to enjoy I'm gonna have zilch.

To be honest, this is starting to chap me a lot more than the site security problem ever did.
Old 10-15-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Diskfiend
To be honest, this is starting to chap me a lot more than the site security problem ever did.
Agreed!!! Plus add on the usual week or longer of transit after the order gets shipped (if you use free shipping) and my last purchase from DDD doesn't seem like such a great bargain at the moment.

I am considering cancelling my current set of pre-orders if I don't receive some kind of shipping notice (for the one that is no longer a preorder now) within the next day or so. As it is, I am not absolutely certain that the order has been or is even being processed, as the Order Status page on the website hasn't even been updated since I first placed the order.

Last edited by Sex Fiend; 10-15-04 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-15-04, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
I made an order about an hour before there website problems and it still hasn't shipped-one week later.What up with that.Shouldn't take a week to send an order.
Old 10-15-04, 06:03 PM
Cool New Member

Has anybody gotten a shipping notification from DDD since last weekend?
Old 10-15-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Geoff,

I think I have every right to be quite upset with DDD. When I called and specifically asked "Has my credit card information been exposed, and do I need to cancel my credit card," I was informed that my credit card information HAD been exposed, and that I should DEFINITELY cancel my card. As a result of this, I am still without credit/ATM card.

I will continue to spew vitriol at DDD until I have my new card. I also doubt that they will regain my trust.
Old 10-15-04, 08:18 PM
Cool New Member

Has anybody gotten a shipping notification from DDD since last weekend?
I got a shipping notification for Fearless Vampire Killers a few hours ago. I ordered it a couple of weeks ago.
Old 10-15-04, 08:39 PM

I too just got a shipping notice for a 10/19 preorder. Kind of funny considering I had sent an e-mail to cancel it awhile ago. Obviously, they don't check their e-mail and I have learned if you want to get anything done with them you have to call. Considering it's a cheap DVD and I was going to get it somewhere else anyway I'm not that upset. Just a little annoyed that they blew me off, even if they did not intend to. Overall, not sure where I stand with the whole DDD situation.
Old 10-15-04, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by lgelfand
I got a shipping notification for Fearless Vampire Killers a few hours ago. I ordered it a couple of weeks ago.
I just got a shipping notification within the last hour or so for my pre-orders of Taxi - Season 1 and Betty Blue, which are the items I referenced in my earlier complaint post on this thread. According to the email, estimated arrival date is 10/24-10/29, so no upgrade on shipping.

Either DDD is finally getting around to updating order status and shipping merchandise, or else someone there is lurking on this forum and actually reacting to some of the gripes. On the off chance it is the latter, I will mention that I really hope my pre-order for Creature/Invisible Man/Mummy Legacy sets and They Shoot Horses, Don't They? can be shipped by a reasonable time so I can get them, say, within a week of street date.
Old 10-15-04, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Originally posted by lgelfand
Same here!

But I don't think the delay for this disc was tied to the latest problem. This disc was ordered with 2 other movies (all 3 were preorders) and the other 2 shipped on time and I received them earlier this week.
Old 10-16-04, 08:36 AM

Thanks for the update. In any case I just ordered D.A.R.Y.L. and Cloac & Dagger. The funny part of all this is there was no possibility of financial loss by anyone. As long as you used a credit card you are not responsible for any illicit charges....

-Tim
Old 10-16-04, 09:48 PM

I have used deepdiscountdvd myself a few times now and I have found some of the dvds well priced. SOme of the ones I am after are cheaper than other places. Also another good thing I like with DDD is that when my order has mixed orders of in stock/pre order/..... it has happened whatever is in order gets shipped out so not to hold up the rest of my order.

I think they so far I find them to be a good place
Old 10-17-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's a new 10% coupon floating around, apparently good on pre-orders. Code is J89429.

Reported in this thread in the Bargain Forum.

Last edited by seymouru; 10-17-04 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-17-04, 11:26 PM
Suspended

Well lookie at that - it's been a week and guess what? No freaking response to any of my e-mails. (I'm trying to get them to cancel my oustanding orders and I'm trying to get some other matters cleared up.)

So you want to know why I'm pissed? Because they cant be bothered to do their god damned jobs. A week turn around time on e-mail is sloppy, shoddy and unprofessional. Why the hell OFFER a form of communication when all you are going to do is stand around and IGNORE it?

And hey, the net rep has even vanished from the forums. So this "they've worked to make it right" belief is clearly a line of crap when they havent lifted a finger to help me.

So, it looks like we're back to my original opinion. DDD can sit and spin - this shoddy, half assed company can burn to the ground for all I care.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.