Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

20% off DDD Coupon, Are we taking it for granted?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

20% off DDD Coupon, Are we taking it for granted?

Old 10-17-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's a new 10% coupon floating around, apparently good on pre-orders. Code is J89429.

Reported in this thread in the Bargain Forum.
Old 10-18-04, 10:24 AM

They had the first 20% off sale last Fall. Then they went and did it again this past Spring. I think it's the repeat of the sale that now has conditioned people to expect another sale.

You do it once, could be an isolated one-of-a-kind event. Do it twice, people sense a trend and begin to anticipate.

I'm not letting it stop me from buying anything I really want. But I do have a running list of titles that I'm in no hurry to buy at their current prices but wouldn't mind picking up at an additional 20% discount. In the meantime I've got quite a backlog of unwatched DVDs, so it's not a priority.
Old 10-18-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by hondo21
In the meantime I've got quite a backlog of unwatched DVDs, so it's not a priority.
That sounds like the story of my life....LOL.

But to contribute to the thread, yes I think it's taken for granted. If it happens, cool!! If it doesn't, I won't be disappointed because I'm not anticipating it.
Old 10-31-04, 04:03 PM

I don't take it for granted. Use them up
Old 10-31-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
Take it for granted as in not being grateful? No way! It's a very generous collaboration between DDD and DVDTalk.

Maybe the offer should be limited to people who have been DVDTalk members for at least a year (or a certain minimum). That would prevent just anyone from taking advantage of it. Presumably the promotion is meant to bring both customers to DDD and ad-bait to DVDTalk. If DDD customers can just name-drop Talk without visiting the site, the purpose is defeated.
Old 11-01-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Norm de Plume
Maybe the offer should be limited to people who have been DVDTalk members for at least a year (or a certain minimum). That would prevent just anyone from taking advantage of it. Presumably the promotion is meant to bring both customers to DDD and ad-bait to DVDTalk. If DDD customers can just name-drop Talk without visiting the site, the purpose is defeated.
Even though DVDTalk has gotten it's own code for past 20% off sales, I'm pretty sure that the deal hasn't been *just* for DVDTalk members - Haven't they also advertised in USA Today (with a different code)? I think I read that mentioned somewhere here.

I also don't think any deal should be limited to members who have been here longer than others. I have been here for over a year, but it would have been longer if I had known before that this place even existed! I'm guessing that probably goes for at least half of the relatively new members here?
Old 11-01-04, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, the code wasn't just limited to DVDTalk members. I received an email with a code in it, and that was before I had ever even heard of this website.

Also, it's listed on HomeTheaterForum, was in USA Today, was advertised (from what I understand) on various radio shows, etc.

So, having a code for those who have been a member of this website for a certain period of time would not work...