Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

WARNING: Your DDD Details Are Not Safe! (merged)

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

WARNING: Your DDD Details Are Not Safe! (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*tosses stones at Big O Anime_Fan*

Old 10-11-04, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I the only one who really doesn't care about this whole ordeal?

So long as the problem is fixed so that I can go back to buying my DVD's from them, then I could care less...
Old 10-11-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by kayak99
AndyMorrison, one of my points was that MOST sites have glitches of varying types. (note the CIA homepage has been changed by crackers , note Microsoft's software is often hacked) You either give up online completely or bear with it. I feel confident the problems can be resolved and don't think they are as serious as some do.

I am certainly not going radical here and giving up on what I think has been an excellent site to buy DVD's. To be honest I doubt you will either.

I will still order from DDD.

Al Padrino - unless you can change your information for ease of your mind, then do nothing.
What you got against white people?

Old 10-11-04, 04:24 PM

For Marty888

Keep Your Funny Side Up

I have often purchased from D.D.D.
Where prices are low and shipping is free;

But now a server software glitch
Has broken their security ditch,

And made a purchasing sceptic of me.

NetResults
Old 10-11-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally posted by seymouru
DDD ite domum!

(It is the locative, isn't it?)
Now write that 100 times.
Old 10-11-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Bill Needle
Now write that 100 times.
Certainly, sir -- if I can get a 20% off coupon, sir.

Hail Visa!
Old 10-11-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by invisiblegt
Am I the only one who really doesn't care about this whole ordeal?
Now that's not true. Why else would you keep reading and posting in the thread if you don't care?
Old 10-11-04, 04:46 PM

So is DDD going to give their loyal customers any kind of discount? I wonder if I can get Best Buy online to match their prices?
Old 10-11-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would find it very funny if they say something like this:

"Just for our loyal customers, and because of various problems with the website, we will be offering a special coupon for 20% off of all DVDs. The sale will begin around this Christmas!"
Old 10-11-04, 04:54 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by invisiblegt
[B]Am I the only one who really doesn't care about this whole ordeal?

In an effort to get a definite answer to your question, "Am I the only one who really doesn't care about this whole ordeal?", I have comissioned a nation wide poll, and hope to determine in a definitive way if you are the only one. After all one man's ordeal may be another man's small deal. Still, your caring enough to ask about your not caring deserves to be cared to.

NetResults
Old 10-11-04, 04:56 PM

Apparently DDD is on some kind of merchant watch for Citibank cards. I've received calls or letters from Citibank as soon as DDD requested authorization and had to confirm my purchases before they would pay the charge.
Old 10-11-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This message is still up at 5pm CT:
Maintenance is currently under way on the DeepDiscountDVD.com site. We are currently updating our caching services. The site should return by 4 PM CST.

We do apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
DeepDiscountDVD.com
Of course, this could be left over from my cache!
Old 10-11-04, 05:13 PM

I've got it! I've got it! The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true! Right?

Right. But there's been a change: They broke the chalice from the palace.

They broke the chalice from the palace?

And replaced it with a flagon.

A flagon . . . ?

With the figure of a dragon.

Flagon with a dragon.

Right.

But did you put the pellet with the poison in the vessel with the pestle?

No! The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon! The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!

Old 10-11-04, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by LASERMOVIES
Now that's not true. Why else would you keep reading and posting in the thread if you don't care?
I am reading and posting because I am interested in seeing firsthand what the representative from DDD has to say.

I personally do not care about the security problem, because lengths are being taken to fix this. Mistakes happen. It's our handling of those mistakes that show who we are as people. This thread has quickly gone from people concerned and wondering to borderline paranoia, personal attacks on those in operation at DDD, and those threatening legal action.

I think we all need to step back, take a deep breath, and calm down...
Old 10-11-04, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Remarkable bird, id'nit, squire?
Old 10-11-04, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Paypal has been down for a couple days now as well. The eBay discussion boards are going haywire.

Coincidence?
Old 10-11-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am reading and posting because I am interested in seeing firsthand what the representative from DDD has to say.
See, you do care.

I personally do not care about the security problem, because lengths are being taken to fix this. Mistakes happen. It's our handling of those mistakes that show who we are as people. This thread has quickly gone from people concerned and wondering to borderline paranoia, personal attacks on those in operation at DDD, and those threatening legal action.

Okay, now I wonder if you are working for DDD? Sounds like you're doing spin control for the company.
Old 10-11-04, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by BrentLumkin
I would find it very funny if they say something like this:

"Just for our loyal customers, and because of various problems with the website, we will be offering a special coupon for 50% off of all DVDs, including pre-orders. The sale will begin around this Christmas!"
Fixed!
Old 10-11-04, 06:00 PM

I'll still buy from DDD since I changed my info early on to prevent any problems, but if something happened to my account I might be mad too and not use them. I don't even like the fact that people saw my real name and address when I edited my account, but at least some good came from that in figuring out how logging in makes your account visible.

What is the Ebay/Paypal problem exactly?

I always hated how Paypal forces you to register your bank account with them. If someone breaks into your Paypal they could literally drain you of your life savings by having direct access to your bank account. The way I got around this was to open a 2nd checking account under my same banking account. So now I have one newer account with all my money in it and the old one registered with Paypal remains empty. I just use my CC for Paypal transfers.
Old 10-11-04, 06:00 PM

If I were the DDD tech people, I'd be equally concerned about WHY suddenly the biggest security measure in place @ DDD suddenly broke down (and apparently at the exact same time period as the "Seeing Other Members' Accounts" problem) -- that security measure being: requiring a customer to physically re-enter their entire 16-digit credit-card number whenever anything in their "Account Info" area is altered.

Perhaps this added level of security had broken down well before Friday's cache difficulties -- I don't know. Had anyone here actually been able to change their account data WITHOUT having to re-type their CC # *before* Friday, October 8th? I only noticed it after seeing this thread (and probably most others only noticed it then as well).

But, when analyzing this major security cache problem on DDD, if that one piece of added security had been in place from Friday through today, this cache problem would have been, IMO, little more than a very minor annoyance -- because if any a**hole DID, in fact, decide to be a pee-pee-head and want to steal from another DDD customer after seeing a strange name pop up on their computer screen, they still would not have been able to CHANGE the customer's address without also re-typing the CC number as well. The most the punk could do would be to send me (or you or some other stranger) 169 copies of Friday The 13th, Part 8.

So, even more than the "cache" problems DDD is/was having, I'm even more concerned over HOW and why that one major security defense of forcing a complete CC number re-typing was disabled at such a critical time.

Seems very odd these major security breaches would occur at exactly the same time, thereby permitting any thief the ability to change our addresses to their own, and opening the floodgates for way more headaches for DDD (and legit DDD consumers).

Last edited by davidvp; 10-11-04 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-11-04, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We may never know what really happened. They're unlikely to admit to the real issues or causes behind the problems we've seen, as evidenced by their spin attempt this morning.
Old 10-11-04, 06:17 PM

Suddenly we can see other people's info and at the very same time we can suddenly arbitrarily change other members' addresses to our own without the normal security measures in place?? Sounds ultra-suspicious to me. Sounds to me like some hacker was very busy Friday.

The first thing I'm going to check when the DDD site returns to "normal" is to check to see if the "Must Re-Type CC Number" restriction is back in place. If not, they've still got a problem to fix.

Last edited by davidvp; 10-11-04 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-11-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts
I personally do not care about the security problem, because lengths are being taken to fix this.
So would it be safe to say that if lengths were not being taken you would care? Because that was the case for about 60 hours.

Mistakes happen. It's our handling of those mistakes that show who we are as people.
See above.

This thread has quickly gone from people concerned and wondering to borderline paranoia, personal attacks on those in operation at DDD, and those threatening legal action.

I think we all need to step back, take a deep breath, and calm down...
I'm just having fun with you, but I do think you're reading a bit much into motivations. A lot of the hyperbole was triggerd by those wanting to deny, deny, deny and pooh-pooh the whole thing. That would be very misleading to someone dropping in on the thread, reading about a potential problem, followed by a bunch of "experts" claiming that what was being seen and reported was impossible...nothing to see...move along.

Bottom line: Mischievous unknown miscreants could have spent the weekend shipping DVDs around the world and billing it all to your credit card. It probably wasn't happening, but could you be sure? It was certainly possible. And DDD was stone silent for 2 and 1/2 days and did nothing about it. Until this morning who knew when or if they were ever going to acknowledge and fix it.
Old 10-11-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by seymouru
We may never know what really happened. They're unlikely to admit to the real issues or causes behind the problems we've seen, as evidenced by their spin attempt this morning.
You're probably right. I'm also waiting for a plausible explanation as to why the entire eastern part of the United States had a blackout 14 months ago.
Old 10-11-04, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by davidvp
Suddenly we can see other people's info and at the very same time we can suddenly arbitrarily change other members' addresses to our own without the normal security measures in place?? Sounds ultra-suspicious to me. Sounds to me like some hacker was very busy Friday.

Good questions but I won't hold my breath waiting for answers from DDD. And what was supposed to be a minor issue involving only a few people has led to the closure of the site for the entire day. I guess it wasn't important enough to bother with during the weekend.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.