Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Overstock.com's "Infinite Loop" customer service

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-04, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

So I ordered the "Time Out Film Guide" from Overstock on September 4th of this year.

Now, ya know how many online and catalog places don't ship things in actual "boxes" anymore, but rather a kind of "cardboard envelope" - basically a large flat piece of cardboard that's folded over and glued into place?? Well, one of the "sides" came undone and the book - which is bigger than many city phone books - fell out in transit - at least once, if not many times. As a result, the cover is damaged and the clear plastic laminate on the cover is about halfway peeled off.

I emailed them about it and have been stuck in an infinite loop ever since.

They sent me an email that said they'd email me the UPS label and shipping instructions in 3-4 business days. If I didn't receive it in that time, I should email them back. As you might guess, the time came and went. I emailed them back and got a "I'm sorry it didn't come. We'll reprocess it and email you the UPS label and shipping instructions in 3-4 business days".

So THAT time came and went and I emailed back and got the ol' "I'm sorry it didn't come. We'll reprocess it and email you the UPS label and shipping instructions in 3-4 business days" email again. And again after 3-4 more business days. And so on and so on.

Has anyone ever gotten into one of these infinite loops with Overstock? I've sent them 2 emails stating that I'd be happy to pay for the return shipping myself - well, let my GF's company pay for the shipping - if I could just get the RMA number. What did I get back from them both times? Yep - "I'm sorry it didn't come. We'll reprocess it and email you the UPS label and shipping instructions in 3-4 business days".

Today I sent them an email telling them that this had been going on for almost a month and it was simply unacceptable. I said I was gonna dispute the charges with Discover and just buy another one from Amazon. What did I get back in response? ""I'm sorry it didn't come. We'll reprocess it and email you the UPS label and shipping instructions in 3-4 business days".

Aaaaaaaaggggghhh!

Can anyone think of anything else I can do? I could always call, but:

1) I *hate* talking to CSR droids on the phone and;
2) I'm terrible at taking notes on the phone. Email = paper trail.

Lastly - and this might be of interest to everyone - does anyone know if Overtsock outsourcves their customer service? The first time I sent the email today, it bounced back saying the destination server (something like is.instantservice.com) had a configuration error. I went to http://www.instantservice.com/ and it seems to be a company that *does* do outsourcing for this kind of thing, but doesn't have Overstock listed on their "customers" page.
Old 10-07-04, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The way I see it, you have two options:

1) Call their customer service department. I've called Overstock.com's customer service people before, and have found them to be friendly and helpful. Plus, they'll probably end up e-mailing you the RMA or whatever anyhow (thus a "paper" trail).

2) Dispute the charge with your credit card company. At this point, I think you're perfectly in the right to do this.

You've already mentioned these two options. So I'd say just pick one. Obviously the e-mail approach isn't working.
Old 10-07-04, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Walter Neff
The way I see it, you have two options:

1) Call their customer service department. I've called Overstock.com's customer service people before, and have found them to be friendly and helpful. Plus, they'll probably end up e-mailing you the RMA or whatever anyhow (thus a "paper" trail).

2) Dispute the charge with your credit card company. At this point, I think you're perfectly in the right to do this.

You've already mentioned these two options. So I'd say just pick one. Obviously the e-mail approach isn't working.
I second Walter's suggestions.

Overstock's customer service department is very good and by speaking with an actual live person who is quite likely to sense your high frustration level, you'll hopefully have a different outcome than you have had previously.