Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The Benefits (if any) of joining the Best Buy Rewards Zone

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-04, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been thinking a lot lately of joining BB Rewards Zone when I noticed that most of my DVD and VG purchases came at BE. But since the new rules have gone into effect, I've wondered if it is worth it still to join up.

What are your thoughts?
Old 09-20-04, 10:14 PM

I joined when it first came out then realized why they did the whole program and stopped using it,But my friend did buy some expensive stuff which I was able to get credit for which got me about 20$ in free gift cards,now you have to spend 150$ to get 5$ back I'd just avoid it and keep your anonymity(sp?)
Old 09-20-04, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's absolutely worth it. I've been a member for over a year and have received over $600.00 in BB "bucks". Needless to say, you need to do a lot of shopping @ BB to get reward Zne Certs. The smallest increments come in $5 and the most I have seen are the $10 certs. I spent way more than $600.00 this year @ BB but to get DVD's and electronics "on them" is definately a plus in my book.
Old 09-20-04, 10:18 PM

In my mind it makes sense only after you spend $300 as it takes that much to even out your initial 9.99. I think it is a pretty stupid club to have to pay to be a member.

I joined because I was buying a washer and dryer from BB. It made sense at the time to spend $10 extra dollars and get $35 back in gift certificates. Unless you are spending well over $300 a year, it is not worth joining.
Old 09-20-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by buckee1
It's absolutely worth it. I've been a member for over a year and have received over $600.00 in BB "bucks". Needless to say, you need to do a lot of shopping @ BB to get reward Zne Certs. The smallest increments come in $5 and the most I have seen are the $10 certs. I spent way more than $600.00 this year @ BB but to get DVD's and electronics "on them" is definately a plus in my book.

I think that's the problem. You have to spend waaaay more then you actually should to start seeing such a small savings. Especially since you had to pay the getting in price of 10 bucks.

Personally, I just don't see the point of it all. Other stores have cheaper prices on certain dvd's and that to me is a better savings then having to spend so much in order to get that five bucks back.
Old 09-20-04, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I signed up for it when I bought my TV because it was worth it since I was paying $700 for the TV. I also used it when I bought my PC.

Other than big purchases though its not worth the hassle for me. I never use it when I buy something like a DVD.
Old 09-20-04, 11:25 PM
Suspended

I bought a HDTV at best buy it came out to 2,400$ i got 90$ in gift certs. I got a shit load of free dvds from it
Old 09-21-04, 02:06 AM

Man, thanks for the input. I gather then its best to buy it when you buy a big purchase and prolly not for regular weekly or every so often DVD movie purchases.
Old 09-21-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by ThePrimeDreamer
Man, thanks for the input. I gather then its best to buy it when you buy a big purchase and prolly not for regular weekly or every so often DVD movie purchases.
Depends what your "regular weekly" DVD purchases amount to... If you're dropping $100 a week on DVDs, then yes, it's absolutely worth your time. If you're buying one or two movies a month, don't bother.

But yeah, if you're buying a big ticket item(s) from Best Buy it's nice to have.
Old 09-23-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love it because I buy networking and other computer stuff at BB for my job. Use my jobs credit card and then use my Reward Zone card. Works great for me.
Old 09-24-04, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
now that they've raised the point levels for a GC, it's not worth it unless you spend regular money there. Like at least $50/week or if you are going to purchase something big, like a TV or appliance.
Old 09-26-04, 11:06 AM

i joined when i bought a laptop there....the laptop had about 400 in rebates and i even got credit for reward zone for that. this one purchase got $35 in certificates.....then a few weeks ago i bought a dryer there....this year it has certainly paid off, but like everyone else said if you are not going to be making big purchases it is not worth it....
Old 09-26-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a casual weekly dvd buyer, and I find that I'll try and always buy from Best Buy if possible. If someone else has the lowest price, I'll price match so I can get the reward zone points. My first year was free so it was worth the time and money. I was able to get over $100 back in certificates for that year. So, even smaller purchases will add up over time to gain you some additional savings.
Old 09-26-04, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm seeing the latest statement which states that you have to buy $150 to realize a $5 certificate. The previous system of a point per dollar spent seems better.
Old 09-26-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Originally posted by speedy1961
I'm seeing the latest statement which states that you have to buy $150 to realize a $5 certificate. The previous system of a point per dollar spent seems better.
Yep, they just raised it. Also, you don't get credit for the rebate portion of your purchase anymore. It has lost it's value.