Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

A Humorous Ditty Entitled "Amazon vs Best-Buy"

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 09-17-04, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so here is how the sad/ridiculous story unfolded... I have never had a divx or region free dvd player before and being that I'm rather strapped for cash at the moment I thought I'd order Philips 642. So as many here are aware of the fact that the player has been "On-Order" or "In-Stock-Soon" at many websites. I originally placed my order at Amazon.com when it was "In-Stock-Soon." The next day one of my best friends informed me that it was in-stock on Best Buy's website. So of course I cancelled my order on Amazon and placed one on BB. Right, and so the worst decision in dvd-related-buying was rolled into action.

Aug. 1st - Ordered from BB.

Aug. 21st - Received an email from BB saying my item was returned to the facility, probably becuase it was damaged during shipping.

Aug. 21st - Re-ordered from BB, dvd player was still "in-stock."

Sept. 10th - Called BB to see what the hell was up with my order. Still haven't received anything and told to call back on Sept 17th if I don't receive anything.

Sept.10th - Figured I wasn't going to receive anything so ordered player from amazon.com ("In-Stock-Soon")

Sept. 13th - Received an email from Amazon saying my item was shipped, then clobbered myself with my fists for bitting the hand that feeds me and ordering from BB.

Sept. 16th - One Day before I could get a refund, my player from BB arrived. God Damn!

Sept. 17th - And of course the identical player I ordered from Amazon.com exactly one week ago, arrives. Oh the irony.

Oh Amazon.com, I'm sorry. Take me back, take me back. I'll never cheat on you again. Best-Buy, you two-dollar whore.

Last edited by Bubble; 09-17-04 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-17-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So? Wrong forum too.
Old 09-17-04, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by chanster
So? Wrong forum too.
damn, well i just wanted to share.
Old 09-17-04, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sorry didn't mean to bark at you. Still in the wrong forum though
Old 09-17-04, 06:00 PM

No problem, and I did post in the wrong forum. I didn't think about it, before posting. I asume someone will move it to the correct one, I can't figure out a way to move it. My apologies.
Old 09-17-04, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let us know how you like the player. I have a couple myself, but have only been able to get about 60% of the non-DVD stuff to play (mpgs, avis, etc.).
Old 09-17-04, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Are you going to keep both, or return the Amazon one?

I have the Philips 727, which has worked quite well for me. A little glitchy getting the main menu sometimes, but not a big deal.
Old 09-17-04, 07:09 PM

I'm actually keeping both. Giving one to my mother.

As far as the player itself. I tired a few divx/xvid movies yesterday and they played fine, with the exception for "Read My Lips" I couldn't get the subs to appear.

I also completed the Region Hack and playing Dogville R2 disc and that played fine.

Does anyone know how to do the firmware updates? Although I believe my player may have the most uptodate version. When I went to the website, I couldn't figure out how to do it.

Also is there no way to "fully" turn off the machine? It seems like the status light is always on, unless you unplug it.

So far the one issue I have with the player is that it is a bit noisy when playing discs. I was watching SFU season 2 last night and noticed the noise of the disc spinning. But for all it's other capabilitites and for a rather cheap price it's faults don't bother me very much.
Old 09-18-04, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, a DVDTalker that hates Best Buy. Do you also hate Michael Bay, Tarantino, Michael Moore, and George Luca$?