Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon preorder question

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon preorder question

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-04, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazon preorder question

Ok, I am always seeing people mention how they received their preorder on release day or a few days before or whatever. I have NEVER received a preorder on release date...usually at least 3 days afterward or more. Now, Ive always attributed this to the fact that I sometimes "preorder" something about a week or so before release date, so Im probably low on the list for early shipment.

But I made some early preorders this year...April 14th for Star Wars, June 28th for Hitchcock, Alias S3, and Clerks X. Both of these have shipping estimate dates well after the release date. Whats the deal? Everytime Ive ever inquired about the delay, Im always told "we cant ship it until the release date", regardless of e-tailer. Do I have to live in a certain area to get preorders early, or order on the first day its available for preorder, or what?
Old 09-03-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found you can't really rely upon the shipping estimates for an accurate indicator when Amazon will ship a pre-order. Also ordering early doesn't necessarily make a difference either. Sometimes I have pre-ordered at the last minute and they ship quickly, other times pre-ordered early only to ship late.

But living in a certain area can help make a difference in how fast an item may arrive from Amazon. I typically get orders about 2 days after if it is shipped from the closest warehouse to my house, and it will take several days longer if they use an alternate warehouse in a different state. I have been getting most of my orders on time but some are a day or two past the release date.
Old 09-03-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Could also be that people are using standard or 2 day rather then free shipping. I always suspect that Amazon ships non free shipping orders ahead of free shipping orders. I have no proof of this, it is just something I am assuming.
On a really popular item such as Star Trek TOS my order did not ship until Thursday while other people on this board mentioned they received their's on Tuesday . I ordered my set the first day it was available for preorder.