Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Reward Zone changes coming

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Reward Zone changes coming

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Manzana...

It's not a rumor...I was at the meeting where they told us and I read it in the BB's "training" documentation that we get when we have one of our useless meetings/trainings.

All I can say is your official confirmation is most likely in the mail. I was just trying to give everyone a head's up so they can return it more quickly if they like.
Old 08-31-04, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just went to the Reward zone web site and it said this: It's easy to join the Reward Zone® program. Stop by any participating Best Buy™ store. It's just $9.99 for a full year's membership.

Spend $150 and receive a $5 reward certificate. Here's how it works. You'll earn 100 points for virtually every $1 you spend at Best Buy. Reach 15,000 points and you'll receive a $5 reward certificate. You can use your reward certificates for almost anything you purchase at Best Buy retail stores.

Go to Best Buy. Get the card, Use the card, Get the rewards.

It's easy to join the Reward Zone® program. Just sign up at your local participating Best Buy store (find yours here). Then, just pay $9.99 for a full year's membership.

That's it.

So get to your favorite Best Buy store, use your card, and get rewarded.
Old 09-01-04, 09:14 AM

I was in BB yesterday to buy a $9.99 title with my $10 RZ coupon.

The cashier explained that they can only use the card with a sale at the minimum amount. So he suggested I get a pack of gum or something else to make the total over $10.

I declined and bought elsewhere.

And BB wonders why we customers are not happy campers with their RZ program these days???
Old 09-01-04, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
That I can somewhat see; or at least, it's not a policy that is limited to BB. Many places so 'no change given' on gift cards/gift certs, or very minor change given. Of course, that leads into the whole 'gift cards are a scam anyway' discussion; we'll leave that one for later, but this policy is not a dealbreaker for me.
If they do change it to that higher point value, [which, after hitting RZ.com and reading teddydogg's closer, I see that they did] I definitely won't be renewing, unless they give it to me for free. I've currently got ~7700 points in there, and it's conceivable that I'll spend another 75 bucks by Nov when my thing runs out, but I won't be paying ten bucks for this 'privilege' again.

I like the idea of a frequent shopper program, but I would really like to see a few changes [of course, they won't happen.]

* Credit the card the amount of the 'rebate'. Even wait 30-45 days to counter the return issue, I don't mind; but it could be done, and would be easier, quicker, and cheaper for everyone involved, perhaps allowing BB to increase the payout since they'd save postage and printing costs on those silly certificates.

* Make the certs a more uniform size, or on thicker paper. I put mine in my wallet, and in about three days it's all crumpled up. I know, 'no replacements', so if you ruin it you're out of luck, another thing they count on.

* Instant rebates at the register, either occasional or always, either on every item or specific items/item categories. This week all RZ customers get 2% off all video games. Next week get 5 or 10% off this Hot New Release, the next, 4% off all Family DVD's. Of course, I wouldn't expect points on those purchases. And in most cases, except where they want to push a product, the instant rebate would be less than the 'point' rebate, but you'd get it immediately, and not have to spend it on a future purchase.

Even the little plastic frequent shopper cards at the grocery stores do that, and can save a lot of money.
Old 09-01-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
You guys sure do complain a lot about free money. Maybe if you signed up and paid for the membership and actually shift your shopping habits towards Best Buy do you have a legitimate complaint. But otherwise, it's free fucking money, dude.
Old 09-01-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ben12
You guys sure do complain a lot about free money. Maybe if you signed up and paid for the membership and actually shift your shopping habits towards Best Buy do you have a legitimate complaint. But otherwise, it's free fucking money, dude.
Not technically free you have to pay $9.99 for "free money"
Old 09-01-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I did pay for it.
I do shift toward Best Buy, as in, I check them first when I'm looking for a product of a type they carry.

Even if one didn't pay for it, there's something morally suspect about renewing an account for a year, then immediately [or soon after] substantially changing the rules, in the company's favor, without allowing any redress or cancellation. Technically isn't that called a bait and switch? Am I, 10 months into my year, allowed to cancel my membership, and get 1/6 of 9.99 back [the two remaining months prorated]? Or am I stuck? And what if I signed up, paid the money, on Friday, and on Monday they changed the rules?

The website now has an offer:

For a limited time, just sign up to receive your reward certificates by e-mail and we'll add 5,000 bonus points to your total in the Reward Zone® program.

You would then receive an email with the certificate and print it out, rather than waiting for the mail.
They already had my email, I made this change, let's see if I get my 5000 points.
Old 09-01-04, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Look, I agree that changing the rules for a yearly subscription 2 months after most of your customers subscribed is fucked up. But I didn't pay for the membership. I wouldn't have, either. I buy things at the store that has the lowest price. Often (usually?) that's Best Buy. So when I go there, they scan my card. Hell, even if you paid, thinking you probably spend at least $250 a YEAR at BB, odds are you spend $300, too. If not, then you really were gambling when you paid for your subscription. For me, I resubscribed because they gave me $10 in certificates for signing up. Since I know I will spend them at some point during the next few months on something I planned to buy anyway, it's free money. I'm not going to walk around BB looking for something to blow the certificates on. If that's what you're doing, you're playing the game poorly. Just my opinion. It's free money. Either don't complain or cancel your subscription.
Old 09-01-04, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got royally screwed by Best Buy's Reward Zone program...

My membership expired on July 31st, and I got a card in the mail that said "Get 3 months free when you renew your membership for $9.99 by 8/31/04" It also said "Renew by 8/31/04 to retrieve existing points on your account." I had 12,200 points, and just needed 300 to get another $5.

I tried to renew yesterday (Aug. 31st) and the cashier was unable to get it to ring up. I called the RZ phone number, and after being on hold an hour, I was told that there was a 30 day (Aug. 30th) grace period after my account expired, and after that my account was dead.

I talked to a supervisor at RZ, and she said she was "unable" to do anything on my account, and that I would have to purchase a new account. I asked if she would be able to extend a new account by 3 months, or if she would be able to either cut me a $5 certificate or add the points to the new account, and she wouldn't do that, either. She said "There is only a 30 day grace period, and that is as a courtesy to you. Since it is 31 days from when your account expired, we can't do anything." She was able to pull up my account and see exactly how many points were in it, and she was the highest point of contact (in her words) at the call center, but she is still "unable to do anything."

I am kind of pissed that I get a card from them in the mail stating one thing, and they tell me on the phone that that doesn't apply. The card stated "Your membership expired 7/31/04 It's your last chance to stay in the Reward Zone program."
Old 09-01-04, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Great. You got it for free. Other people paid money. Why don't you lay off felllow members, dude.

And technically, you didn't get it for free either dude.

Last edited by chanster; 09-01-04 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-02-04, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
I got the mailer that they sent out today about all this.

The 15,000 point level begins on October 3, 2004.

On my letter, it says I'm getting a 2,500 bonus-point anniversary present. This would make up the difference between the old point level and the new one (for one certificate at least).

They mention that you can now get your certificates by E-mail, but they don't mention the 5,000 point bonus for doing so (which is on the Reward Zone web site)

If you have a Best Buy credit card, you can get 1,500 points every time you use it to make a purchase in store from October 1-December 31, 2004. (Limit one transaction per day)

Starting in October, you'll be able to choose the size of the certificates they'll send. If you want $5's, they'll send 5's, If you want to save it up until you have $10, or even $20, you'll be able to do that as well.

Some of these new things aren't too bad, but I saw one that I found to be really horrible, and getting to the point where you could call it a rip off. I'll put that in here word for word:

As of November 1, 2004, you'll no longer earn points for the dollar amount of available mail-in rebates at the time of purchase of any product or service.
In other words, if a mail-in rebate is offered with a product, you'll only earn points on the After rebate price. In June, I bought a TiVo from them for $169.99, that also came with a $50 rebate. Under the current rules, I received 16,999 points for that purchase. As of November 1st, I'd only get 11,999 points.

I still have not received my Rebate check from TiVo. I've had plenty of other rebates that never showed up at my house over the years. For me, they're a crap shoot. And now Best Buy is taking points away from me because I *MIGHT* be getting a rebate? Most of the time, they have nothing to do with the rebates! They're manufacturers rebates, not theirs usually. Now, if this only refers to their own rebates, I guess that wouldn't be such a horrible thing, but if it's all rebates, will they also be offerring some sort of assurance that I will be getting these rebates?

I think that is dirty pool, and far worse than upping the limit a bit.
Old 09-02-04, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That does suck. BB has nothing to do with a manufacturer's rebate.
And no, I haven't gotten my 5000 points for requesting 'email' yet.