Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Will Amazon of the UK ship to the US?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 08-01-04, 12:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking of buying a few R2 DVDs and was wondering if Amazon.co.uk would ship to the US.
If so, would this mean that amazon of other countries would ship to the US also?

Thanks
Old 08-01-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure about dvds, but I've done it at least twice with books. Once for the adult hardback of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and also for Umberto Eco's Baudalino, which I got because I think the jacket art was far superior to the US edition (same reason with the Potter book).
Old 08-01-04, 12:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've done it at least once that I can recall (for Spooks before MI5 was announced ) and didn't have a problem.
Old 08-01-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've ordered several R2 DVDs from Amazon.co.uk and never had a problem. You should be able to order from all the other Amazon sites as well. Also I think, but not 100% sure, your Amazon account should work on all of the foreign sites. I do know it works on the Canadian and UK websites.

Last edited by Laser Movies; 08-01-04 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-01-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We order from them all the time. The funny thing is, we often get packages from Amazon UK a lot quicker than from the American site!
Old 08-01-04, 01:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the replies folks. My customer file was found with amazon UK.

Also, how exactly do they exchange between the dollar and the pound or is this just the credit card's exchange rate?
Old 08-01-04, 05:10 PM
Mod Emeritus

<small>
Originally posted by smirnoffski
Also, how exactly do they exchange between the dollar and the pound or is this just the credit card's exchange rate?
</small>CC exchange rate and any [hidden?] commision that the CC terms and conditions allow.
Old 08-02-04, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
AmazonUK is possibly the most efficient online site I have ever dealt with - superfast shipping, and never a mistake.

A bonus for U.S. buyers is that the prices shown on the site include the VAT (tax) of approximately 17% - and this will be deducted from your price for shipment to the U.S.
Old 08-02-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've bought alot from Amazon UK in the past, and they are really fast. They run some really good sales pretty often too.
Old 08-06-04, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by Tony Dvdfan
I've bought alot from Amazon UK in the past, and they are really fast. They run some really good sales pretty often too.
They have great service. I ordered the 007 James Bond Collection from Amazon UK, and it was at my door step five days later. I was so shocked.
Old 08-07-04, 05:49 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Add me to the list of people who have gotten great service from Amazon UK, no more than 5 business days on two orders in the past year. Ordered on Sunday, received on my doorstep by Friday.
Old 08-09-04, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
I too have ordered books, CDs & DVDs from Amazon UK with *zero* hassles.

As marty888 mentioned, the UK's VAT won't apply to you once Amazon UK knows your order is for overseas... You can almost ALWAYS buy "import" CDs from Amazon UK chaper than you can from Amazon US... I was able to buy a Nina Persson CD (the lead singer of The Cardigans) *and* a Madonna CD single from A-UK cheaper than just the Nina Persson CD would have cost from Amazon-US.. including shipping! As others have mentioned, they ship superfast too - it usually only take 5 days to get my stuff, although I'm on the east coast.
Old 08-19-04, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
I've ordered from both the .ca and .uk sites several times and I'm amazed at how fast the items arrive. The .uk site is great for CDs and books that are no longer/not yet available in the US. I even ordered a CD from Amazon.de, the German store, once. The entire site was in German, naturally, with no option to show it in English. But the layout was the same as every other Amazon site, so I was able to figure out which buttons to click. When I needed to read something, I cut-and-pasted it to Babelfish. The CD arrived a week later.

Your Amazon account, including the credit card linked to it, is valid at all of the Amazon stores.

However, if you have the Amazon Visa card, you don't get 3 points per $1 spent at the other Amazon stores, just the normal 1 point.