Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Do you check out companies on BBB.org before purchasing?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.
View Poll Results: How often to you use bbb.org?
Always
0%
Before all major purchases
10.00%
Sometimes
10.00%
Never
80.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-04, 11:07 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just wondering how many people use BBB.org. I've started using it for companies I don't know and for online purchases. Sometimes, I even get free stuff from companies.

For instance, I wanted to buy a watch from an online vendor one time, and checked bbb.org. Apparently they had several open complaints against them. I called a CSR, told them I was going to make a purchase but was hessitant because of their BBB report, and they gave me free shipping. Turned out to be a good transaction (most of the complaints were false advertising complaints about commercials they ran on TV in Florida).

A few times, I passed up deals because of bad BBB reports.
Old 08-01-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Sadly, I usually don't even think of the BBB until after I've gotten burned. I've filed complaints there 3 or 4 times against various companies over the past 10 years. Only two were against online stores. I do use their charity ratings before giving to a charity.
Old 08-01-04, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I only did one time and that was AFTER I had a problem with a car "repair" shop. Other customers were also complaining about them while I was there.

For online purchases, I use http://www.resellerratings.com/
It is based on "real" customers and has various merchant categorieslike a strength and weekness. If a place has alot of bad feeback in a area. I would look to see if there was a trend. It seemed that shop4less.com had a below par rating due to customers complaining because 'they" bought the wrong type of bland DVD-R's. So, I had taken a chance, alog with a discount code, and bought some DVD cases and I received then in about 1 week. No Problems for me with them.
Old 08-02-04, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts
Originally posted by 68ShelbyGT500KR
I only did one time and that was AFTER I had a problem with a car "repair" shop. Other customers were also complaining about them while I was there.

For online purchases, I use http://www.resellerratings.com/
It is based on "real" customers and has various merchant categorieslike a strength and weekness. If a place has alot of bad feeback in a area. I would look to see if there was a trend. It seemed that shop4less.com had a below par rating due to customers complaining because 'they" bought the wrong type of bland DVD-R's. So, I had taken a chance, alog with a discount code, and bought some DVD cases and I received then in about 1 week. No Problems for me with them.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have been trying to remember the name of this site for a while now. I found it really helpful when deciding where to buy my digital camera from online.
Old 08-02-04, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, I was trying to remember that link as well!
Old 08-02-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will typically only buy from places that get praises from users here. I won't be the guinea pig.