Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DvdBarn? Anybody?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DvdBarn? Anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-04, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DvdBarn? Anybody?

I know they rent dvds, but they also buy used titles. Well I decided to sell some of my dvds to them.

Well I sent UPS (you can only send packages that they can sign for) and they received them on June 8th.

Well they say it take "around" 2 weeks to get the payment out. I don't speak "around-ish" so when I read around, I want a status when I ask.

Well the 22nd was 2 weeks. I e-mailed them on the 23 just to ask the status of my sell to them. I receive an e-mail telling me a ticket number for my problem. Well okay.."they will get back to me" well they haven't. So I am kinda mad and send them another e-mail saying I just want to know the status of the dvds that I sent them. Still nothing. Well today is the 29th. It has been 3 weeks. Maybe they need more time, that is fine. Then either e-mail me, call me (they ask for your phone number while selling to them), or reply to my gaa-damn e-mails!

I am going to call them tomorrow and ask what the problem is. (I have the invoice number e-mail, the UPS receipt, confirmation online that they received the dvds on the 8th of June), and I saved the e-mails with dates and times that I sent them regarding the status - as I do for every person I trade/sell to--.

And if they try to pull one on me, I am going to cuss their asses out, tell them I want my check in a week or less, and tell them a lawyer, their local police, and my local police will be involved with this problem if I don't receive it.

I am not upset that I didn't get my check in two weeks, but as above I would like to know what is wrong/happening. Of course they are still my dvds, until I get payment.

Anyone tried them for either renting or selling?
Old 06-30-04, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Update:

I called and well...no one answered. I called 10 times. Still no answer. Not even a voicemail system!!!

I sent them an e-mail that if they do not reply I will have a lawyer, their local police, and my local police involved in this.

And I will not stop until I get a check or my dvds returned to me.

I hate people like that. They seem to be a rental company and I am not sure if any of you use them, but I would not recommend selling them dvds.
Old 06-30-04, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by conscience
Update:

I sent them an e-mail that if they do not reply I will have a lawyer,
I love when people say they're getting a lawyer. Give me a break, a lawyer is not going to do anything about a hundred bucks or two.
Old 06-30-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

dvde,

They e-mailed me back and said they were going to send the dvds back as they don't buy them anymore. They actually took the link off their homepage about buying used dvds after I sent my dvds to them (although you can get to their buying used dvds page by using google) I e-mailed them back and asked for my shipping to be refunded and wanting an answer as to why they did not contact me on June 8th when they received the dvds.

Seemed like it worked, huh?
Old 06-30-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

dvde,

What would you recommend me do? More yet what would you do...let them have the dvds for free and let them laugh all the way to the fraud department?
Old 06-30-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Update: Was going to post their sell site to show everyone I am for real (dvde), but (TODAY!) they made it where it would be redirected to their homepage.

Here is the google website that shows the link to sell dvds.

Again, it doesn't work (the first link on the google page) when you click on it, but just proof:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...%22+%22sell%22

If their rental system works like my situation did, I would never recommend them. Blah.
Old 06-30-04, 08:21 PM

I never said I didn't believe you, I just find it funny when people say they will get a lawyer for a hundred bucks or two.
Old 06-30-04, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

again,

what if that were your "hundred bucks or two" ?
Old 06-30-04, 10:00 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
The thing I find funny is that as a member of DVDTalk since 1999 you didn't take the time to read the mutiple threads posted here concerning reputable websites that buy DVDs!
Old 06-30-04, 10:15 PM

never mind, you're not getting what I'm saying.
Old 06-30-04, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by rich-y
The thing I find funny is that as a member of DVDTalk since 1999 you didn't take the time to read the mutiple threads posted here concerning reputable websites that buy DVDs!
Please.

rich-y, being a member of DVDTalk since 1999, you should know that I do look things over. And I saw nothing of DvdBarn (only their rental segment is mentioned of what i found here and over the internet searches). I am very careful with traders on the dvd talk exchange forum, sellmydvds.com, secondspin.com, digitaleyes.net, etc. etc. I tried them because their buy prices were extremely good.

I did look DvdBarn over on the internet. I saw on numerous pages that people have rented from them and recommended them for renting. Although not any that sold to them, but hey...if they are renting to people who was supposed to know that they would completely ignore me when I wanted to sell my dvds. I thought I was dealing with a reputable company.

As YOU should know, rich-y, the internet is hit or miss. I do.

And of course I took precaution. I used UPS (with insurance), saved all my e-mails to them, and everything possible. What am I supposed to do read the minds of those at DvdBarn to see if they will hold up on the bargain?

But when someone screws me over once, I make sure they wish they never had done it.

Of course you and dvde can go ahead and give your dvds away for free, I don't care.
Old 06-30-04, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

dvde,

I want you to let me know what I should have done. That is all. It seems that you are just telling me to let it go.
Old 06-30-04, 10:53 PM

dvde,

I want you to let me know what I should have done. That is all. It seems that you are just telling me to let it go.
He wasn't telling you to drop it. He was just commenting on how people seem to scream "LAWSUIT!!!" at the drop of a hat nowadays.
Old 07-01-04, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

brilk,

I don't see him trying to help me. He/she is just putting me down for going about my business when I am trying to do is let people know about this company.

what would you haved recommended?

Tell me please. I want to know what you people would have done?

Pull an Adam Sandler in Punch-Drunk Love? I don't think so.
Old 07-02-04, 12:55 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
rich-y, being a member of DVDTalk since 1999, you should know that I do look things over. And I saw nothing of DvdBarn (only their rental segment is mentioned of what i found here and over the internet searches).
You are making my point for me... you saw nothing about DVDBarn (positive or negative), yet you still sent them your DVDs.

I agree with you that "the Internet is hit or miss" (...and once again, you're making my point for me), and therefore I would have only sent my used DVDs to one of the more reputable companies listed in the numerous threads found on DVDTalk (like secondspin or digitaleyes).

I'm in no way trying to say that what DVDBarn did to you is right, I'm only making the point that I wouldn't have been one of the early guinea pigs.

Sorry if it upsets you; I'm not trying to offend. I'm just hope others realize that this website is full of helpful advice that will stop them from making the same mistake you made.

Of course you and dvde can go ahead and give your dvds away for free, I don't care. [/B]
I don't give my used DVDs away. I make a point of only selling them to firms that have good reputations (as noted by other members of DVDTalk). That's the first step to a safe transaction.

I sincerely wish you luck on getting a refund for the shipping and thank you for alerting us to another unscrupulous marketer.

Last edited by rich-y; 07-02-04 at 01:05 AM.
Old 07-02-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

rich-y,

You are not getting what I am saying.

DvdBarn has gotten reputable comments from numerous people over the internet about their rental program. Yes, selling them used dvds is not renting, but I *thought* that since they are reputable with their renters they would be with sellers. Obviously not.

------------------------------