Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Which Stores Price Match? B&M + Online?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-04, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The title says it all - which stores, both B&M & Online pricematch, and to what? I know it also depends on which stores you have in your geographic region also.

I tried to get a copy of Forrest Gump from Circuit City from their
2/$15 and they were all sold out, plus they said I HAD to buy two. Snotty clerk to boot. I have price matched at ShopKo before, and only had to buy one, but unfortunately they were out of stock also.

I apologize if this question has already been asked somewhere. I did do a search but came up with no definitive "list".

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Melissa
Old 06-17-04, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,113 Likes on 769 Posts
Do:
Best Buy
Sears
WalMart (YMMV)
Lowes
Home Depot

Do Not:
Target
KMart (used to price match everything here)

The only store I know of that PM online stores is Sears. You have to bring in a complete invoice with shipping and they will do it. Only problem is that their stock is limited. I find that their customer service is among the best now a days. Which is funny because they used to be considered the worst, especially among anything automotive.
Old 06-17-04, 04:45 PM

I've had good luck PMing with Sears.

I recently bought a built-in microwave which Sears sells for $249. They matched an amazon price at $185, then gave me an extra 10% off during one of their all-store sales. This translated to $166, a nearly $85 savings or amost 35% off!

The bad news is that Sears doesn't carry much in the way of DVDs.
Old 06-19-04, 11:06 AM

THANK YOU both so much for the information! I was able to obtain my copy of FG last night for $7.50. Of course, not after three trips to two different Wal-Mart, one attempted/denied purchase, and two phone calls to managers.

You are definitely right tanman, my mileage DID vary - but as always it depends on who you talk to. My Wal-Mart will honor pricematching, as long as "it's not a percentage off, or double or triple coupons" asI was told ... The first cashier I got told me they couldn't do it because it was "in-store only" to which I replied, "but I'm IN the store." Then she said "oh wait, wait, it says here regular price is $9.99-$14.99, so I'll have to charge you $14.99." To which I said, "but your REGULAR price is $14.44 - you're going to charge me more then??" That made her backpedal a bit, and then she called someone (I assumed at the time a manager), and just told me it was not their policy to price match and she wouldn't do it. I told her the other store in another part of town would do it with no problems, it's just that they didn't have it in stock either. She just shrugged her shoulders.

I made another small purchase, to get her name and ID# on my receipt, and left. The next early morning I called the Electronics Manager for the same store, and he profusely apologized and said to come right down and he would price-match with NO problems. He looked at the ad, and was flabbergasted as to why the person wouldn't do it. SO, long story short here, I got my FG for $7.50 (without having to buy 2 movies) - and the ditzy cashier will get a new training lesson in price-matching!

I'm curious though, it's been a long time since I've been in Sears - do they carry movies to price-match then?

I'd be happy to add Shop-Ko (in my western region) that DOES price-match to the list. Would like to hear from other western region folks of any other stores that price match for anything - even grocery stores (sometimes they do offer DVDs) !! (Fred Meyer, Rite Aid, Safeway, Albertsons, etc. I only WISH I had a Best Buy here - all I've got is Good Guys. :-(

Again, THANK YOU both for your input. I hope maybe others will post their luck with other stores.

Melissa