Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Ebay DVD scam

Old 05-28-04, 04:33 PM
Cool New Member

Ebay DVD scam

I recently got ripped off on the purchase of two Sapranos box sets from an Ebay auction. I was going to just write it off to experience but when I started looking at the sellers record I realized he had sold almost 2000 dvd's in a 10 day period totaling over $33000. Since there are so many dvd fanatics here I thought someone else may have run into him on Ebay. The user ID is winnersway11, and he has now been suspended by ebay. If you have had any experience with him please check out the web page I have set up at http://drewtaylor.home.mindspring.com/winnersway11.htm

Thanks
Old 05-28-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sorry to hear about that You should post the emails on your Web site
Old 05-28-04, 07:27 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by chanster
Sorry to hear about that You should post the emails on your Web site
Thanks, believe it or not I'm trying to be careful about posting any personal information that might be used against me. Don't know if posting personal emails could lead to problems or not. There really isn't information that would help other than the fact he was just stalling.
Old 05-28-04, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You did quite a bit of work judging from your site. This guy will be made to pay if more people use your contacts.
Old 05-28-04, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I see he isn't a registered user on Ebay anymore. Have his auctions been cancelled?
Old 05-29-04, 12:49 AM

Just curious how you paid for your items. If you used PayPal, I'd be interested in hearing how they responded to your complaint.
Old 05-29-04, 06:11 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
I see he isn't a registered user on Ebay anymore. Have his auctions been cancelled?
Yes, apparantly ebay suspended him and canceled everything. Probably because they couldn't collect the seller fees.
Old 05-29-04, 06:13 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by rich-y
Just curious how you paid for your items. If you used PayPal, I'd be interested in hearing how they responded to your complaint.
This guy was only taking money orders. I've done it in the past and didn't think that much about it for the dollars but in the future I'll only do paypal funded by a credit card. Or most likely a credit card at the local retail store.
Old 05-29-04, 07:58 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by rich-y
This guy was only taking money orders. I've done it in the past and didn't think that much about it for the dollars but in the future I'll only do paypal funded by a credit card. Or most likely a credit card at the local retail store.
Old 05-29-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The postal inspector in your best route given your method of payment.

You would also be wise to post the name and address of the perp. People from all over the country access this board and someone local to him could possibly assist, at least with local information.
Old 05-29-04, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dtaylor
This guy was only taking money orders. I've done it in the past and didn't think that much about it for the dollars but in the future I'll only do paypal funded by a credit card.
Unless it was my elderly grandmother (or some other unknowlegable computer/fraud person) scamming you, PayPal would not have been able to help you. They'd investigate, and say 'we were unable to retreive your funds'. Then if you do a direct-chargeback through your creditcard, you could kiss your PayPal account goodbye.

Point being: it's just as safe to send a money order as it is to send a PayPal payment.

eBay is also going to be looking for the guy. He just ran up a $3-$7K bill, and I doubt eBay would just let him go for that.

What do you do? It's mail fraud. Take it to your Post Office. Give them his mailing address, and they'll probably be able to find him. $33K sounds like small change for a scammer. Sounds to me like it was an amatuer. Probably some moron that didn't really think about it before doing it. I wouldn't be surprised if they guy didn't have his tracks covered.

...or maybe he's just stalling. Maybe he just gets the money, then orders the bulk DVD's afterwards, or dropships everything. Who knows?
Old 05-29-04, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by troystiffler
Unless it was my elderly grandmother (or some other unknowlegable computer/fraud person) scamming you, PayPal would not have been able to help you. They'd investigate, and say 'we were unable to retreive your funds'. Then if you do a direct-chargeback through your creditcard, you could kiss your PayPal account goodbye.

Point being: it's just as safe to send a money order as it is to send a PayPal payment.
Which is why I'd never pay more than $10 for anything on ebay. In reality, you have ZERO protection.
Old 05-29-04, 09:22 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by kayak99
The postal inspector in your best route given your method of payment.

You would also be wise to post the name and address of the perp. People from all over the country access this board and someone local to him could possibly assist, at least with local information.
I've already filed a complaint with the postal inspecter. The only address I have is a PO Box, probably a mailing place.

Mike Sharp
PO Box 3725
Knoxville, TN 37927
Old 05-30-04, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dtaylor
I've already filed a complaint with the postal inspecter. The only address I have is a PO Box, probably a mailing place.

Mike Sharp
PO Box 3725
Knoxville, TN 37927
sent you an email with three addresses of a person or persons with that name in Knoxville which includes phone numbers. I hope it helps.
Old 05-31-04, 06:45 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by gcribbs
sent you an email with three addresses of a person or persons with that name in Knoxville which includes phone numbers. I hope it helps.
Got em, thanks for your help
Old 05-31-04, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, the fact that he only accepted money orders might be helpful in any eventual prosecution, since he received money for each and every sale throgh the Post office - sounds like multiple cases of mail fraud to me!
Old 06-03-04, 02:49 PM
Cool New Member

Just to let everyone know, I talked to an officer with the Knoxville police department who was able to get in contact with the seller (apparantly he used his real name) and I have already received a refund. I was only contacted by about 20 other buyers from the emails I sent out but most of them have also contacted this officer and been promised refunds as well. Don't know what will happen with the rest of the buyers but I feel like I've done about all I can do. I just wish ebay would make it easier to get information out to others.
Old 06-04-04, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you call Sharp, or just let the policeman handle it "Quick"?

Unless it was my elderly grandmother (or some other unknowlegable computer/fraud person) scamming you, PayPal would not have been able to help you. They'd investigate, and say 'we were unable to retreive your funds'...
Ah yes, I've gotton that email:

PayPal has concluded our investigation of your Buyer Complaint.

------------------------------
Complaint Details
------------------------------

Transaction Date: Jan. 25, 2004
Transaction Amount: -$5.15 USD
Case Number: PP-032-330-101
Seller's Name: Michael Miller
Seller's Email: [email protected]

Our investigation has determined that the seller is at fault, but we were unable to recover any funds from the seller's account. As stated in the PayPal User Agreement, Buyer Complaint funds recovery cannot be guaranteed.

If this transaction took place on an auction site, we encourage you to contact the auction site and see if they offer insurance coverage.

We appreciate your business, and regret this experience.

To make sure future transactions proceed smoothly, we suggest reading these Security Tips:

http://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/web...buyers-outside

Sincerely,

Protection Services Department

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address will not be received and therefore, not answered. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the "Help" link in the footer of any page. If your inquiry is regarding a claim, log in to your PayPal account and click the pink Service Center link.
It was only $5.15 so I wasn't out much. But yes, Paypal offers very little protection, so be sure to pick the auctions that you bid on carefully. On more expensive items (approaching $100, I don't buy really expensive things) I'll usually email the seller some question about the item, not a stupid question but something actually relevant to the item. If they don't respond to my question I don't bid on the item.
Old 06-04-04, 06:43 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Heat
Did you call Sharp, or just let the policeman handle it "Quick"?
I originally corresponded with him via email. When I tried to call the number he had listed with Ebay it was disconnected. That was when I first started taking other steps and contacted the Knoxville PD

Jim Quick from the Knoxville PD was able to contact Mike Sharp and then he sent an email to everyone letting them know that they should email Mike with information so he could send them a refund. He then asked that everyone email him to let them know that they received their refund.

Of course, I've only been in contact with about 20 other buyers. I don't know what will happen with the other 1800.
Old 06-04-04, 09:47 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Then if you do a direct-chargeback through your creditcard, you could kiss your PayPal account goodbye.
Couldn't one just open another paypal account? Are you tracked by CC#, email, or address?
Old 06-08-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh Man.
I've been burned by this guy too, for the Law and Order : 2nd Year DVD Set...

Absolutely Brutal....

I did something along those lines...when I put two and two together and emailed some other people...and emailed him with my payment information...

Hopefully I get something back...

Thanks for your help...

KR
Old 06-08-04, 10:54 AM
Cool New Member

Peat,

I sent you an email.
Old 06-08-04, 11:36 AM

Great thread. Awesome to see justice done. Nice work dtaylor!
Old 06-08-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Update

Now remember that I emailed the user at some point last week, with no response. Now, having forwarded my information to the officer, I received the following email, i've edited it for formatting....

ebay suspended me for some reason. i have 100% positive feedback, and i am not quite sure why they did this. i was linked to someone else who was in trouble for fraud. i think because of the volume i was going through and that person had bid on some of my auctions, they thought we were shill bidding.

i am having to issue hundreds of refunds. i will be more then happy to sent you a refund. please email me your name, address, ebay item number, and how much you paid including shipping.

i will send refund out tomorrow if i can get this information back
soon. sorry again for this, although i am losing alot of money, and did not do anything wrong or against ebays rules.

mike
I'm basically trying to be as nice as possible, so as to ensure my refund, so I wrote the following note back and I CC'd the Officer.

Mike,
I'll accept your apology and word now in good faith, in anticipation of a refund as specified. Here's my information as requested...

Kevin Royal
XX XXXXXXXX Rd.
XXXXXXXXXXXX, Ontario
XXX XXX Canada

Ebay Item # - 41XXXXXXXXX (Law and Order DVD - Season Two)

Paid : 31.00 + 4.00 Shipping + 1.30 Insurance = $36.30 USD

Please note that I also had to pay a Money Order fee of approximately $3.00 USD. If you could refund that as well, it would be appreciated.

Please ensure that you send a money order that is cashable in CANADA. Some money orders are U.S. only, and this, of course, would be no use to me.

Thank You,
If you need any additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kevin Royal
I'll let you know how it turns out...

And massive thanks to dtaylor, on behalf of the online community for his efforts in this one. Absolutely to be commended, and it is much appreciated. THANKS!

KR
Old 06-08-04, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Exactly how long have both of you guys been waiting for your DVD's. What he said is most likley a lie, but you never know.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.