Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

How Bad Are The Workers At Best Buy

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

How Bad Are The Workers At Best Buy

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-04, 11:35 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by UAIOE
I understand the money issue but it makes the whole department look bad when one guy can't answer a simple question like "Where are "The Doors" located?"
But what kind of idiot wouldn't know that they are in the "Rock" section under "R."

I mean the CDs are categorized by genre and in alphabetical order.

So I'd put the fault on an idiot customer there. Granted the worker should be able to figure that out using the same logic, but you're not going to get intelligent people in a store that pays minimum wage or a hair above.
Old 05-28-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well not to be picky, but "The Doors" would be under the "D" section in Rock. But that group was just a general example.

If you knew how Best Buy categorized some of thier CD's and moved some stuff around from genre to genre a "stupid" question like that doesnt always seem so stupid.

And i would tend to agree that low wage doesnt mean people would know shit but most of the people in our department at the time did know thier crap when it came to music(at least where it was located) and the rules.

But in stunning logical move by management...all the "veteran" workers were forced to move to other departments so that new people could come in. I know why this was done(wage reasons), but it seemed rather dumb to bring in a 95% new crew for this department in mid-November.
Old 05-28-04, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know they do tend to move people around in the stores. An employees who used to work in Appliances now sells me Sirius. But I have read in these very forums and at the not so friendly Best buy "haters" site that some or it seems most were hired for a department they didn't want to work in.

I can see moving around employees as either a multi-training for the staff or a way to shift a crappy employee.
Old 05-29-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Abob Teff
Not necessarily . . . CC made many many other financial mistakes and took the corporate approach: cut labor.

Until corporations realize that their employees are actually an investment, not merely an expenditure, we will be doomed to never actually receive customer service.
problem is that customers almost always buy on price
Old 05-29-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by al_bundy
problem is that customers almost always buy on price
Or so they think. Most will gladly overpay at BB because they think they are getting a deal.
Old 05-29-04, 04:15 PM

I understand the money issue but it makes the whole department look bad when one guy can't answer a simple question like "Where are "The Doors" located?"...
Well not to be picky, but "The Doors" would be under the "D" section in Rock. But that group was just a general example.

Where are "The Doors" located?? Up at the front of the store where you came in, where else?? Duh!!
Old 05-29-04, 04:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Here is my story. I bought "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" and "The Great Escape" DVD when they had the buy 2 get $10 off sale last week. I got the order a few days ago, found that the 2nd disc of "GBU" is scratched. Naturally, I went to the store to get an exchange. But the CSR would not do an exchange. Instead she took the DVD back and issued a refund. She also told me I should call Best Buy to get a replacement order.

So I went home and called, guess what they won't send me a replacement because I had returned the DVD to the store! Even worse, I only get a $10.50 refund, which means I had paid full price for "The Great Escape".

I am very abgry now, I will return "The Great Escape" to them sometimes next week. This is my first order at Best Buy in 6 months and it went very, very bad. I used to be able to do exchange in store when I order on the web, but I don't know if they had change their policy. So now we have to mail the DVD back to BB instead of return it in store?
Old 05-29-04, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 511 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally posted by Brian Shannon
Or so they think. Most will gladly overpay at BB because they think they are getting a deal.
The funniest thing happens when I tell people I mostly buy stuff from the internet because I can find it cheaper than places like Best Buy. I actually had one person say to me "I thought they were called Best Buy because they had the best prices." Don't they notice that every single major retailer has the same prices? I don't know, maybe it's not that funny, but I just thought it was strange that someone thinks a store automatically has to have the cheapest prices because of their name.
Old 05-30-04, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Rockmjd23
... "so are you guys really the best buy ?" over and over and over again.

Never heard of that, but there was a Jewlery/furniture store called BEST which people got confused with Best Buy. I worked with some guys who were gonna swing by BB and buy their GF/wives some jewlery. I laughed my arce off because they would come in the next day and tell me how they wasted almost an hour going because they got their stores confused or they would say "I could have sworn Best Buy sold jewlery and .....".
Old 06-02-04, 12:45 PM
Retired

Originally posted by spainlinx0
The funniest thing happens when I tell people I mostly buy stuff from the internet because I can find it cheaper than places like Best Buy.
I buy pretty much only big name releases, and BB or CC is usually cheaper than online store release week. Plus I don't have to wait for it to get shipped (especially form DD with their slow free shipping) or pay for faster shipping, worry about it getting damaged, stolen (a lot of places ship in things that won't fit in my mailbox, thus it gets thrown on the doorstep of my apartment by the mailman or UPS man, or in some cases have to be home to sign for the UPS package.
Old 06-07-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,332 Likes on 908 Posts
OK guys, saw another new Best Buy commercial this weekend:

A marionette goes into Best Buy (why does this sound like it should also have a Rabbi and a duck in here?) and approaches one of their extremely helpful and knowledgeable sales associates. He asks to see a laptop computer and the kind and wise sales associate sits down on the floor with him and shows him how to use it, and mentions wireless internet (at which point the marionette dreams about a life without wires, get it?).

No mention of price. They just wanted to let us know about their industry experts that will help us with all of the answers.
Old 06-07-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I went into Best Buy over the weeekend. I had been given the old version of Casablanca as a gift and wanted the newer 2 disc one. The old disc was definitely from Best Buy had the Best Buy tags and everything. It was sealed.

I was fully prepared to pay the difference between the 2 discs. I knew it was going to be a battle going in.

I walked into the store, went up to the CSR line (there was no line suprisingly) and the affable fellow said "No way, we can't do that, I am going to call the manager.

The manager comes up, says no way we can make the exchange. I ask her why not. She said you could have purchased that Casblanca anywhere. I said (a) I got it as a gift, and its got the Best Buy tags and (b) I just want to exhcange it and pay the difference. Granted this was the same movie, (albeit a different version) so it wasn' t like I was trying to trade in some crappy movie for a good movie.

She argued with me for about 5 minutes, finally she asked the guy how much of a difference it was. He said $7 bucks. She must have realized how idiotic she was for arguing over $7 and made the change.
Old 06-07-04, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Reciepts are needed for all exchanges. What part of that don't you understand? Doesn't matter if it's got the tags on it or not.
Old 06-07-04, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Tarantino
Reciepts are needed for all exchanges. What part of that don't you understand? Doesn't matter if it's got the tags on it or not.
Yep. I also wonder that myself when i worked at Target. Just about every store has the same return policy... reciepts are required for returns and exchanges, that's all there is to it. However dumb that policy is, and whatever unususal circustances you may have, its a rule, and it always amuses me to see customers feel like they're being wronged in some way or getting bad service when employees follow the policy.
Old 06-07-04, 09:54 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Almost every store asks for a receipt for exchanges nowsdays. The only time of the year when the policy relaxes a bit is right after Christmas.
Old 06-08-04, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stores require receipts because anyone can walk in the store go to the DVD racks and pick up a movie then take it over to Customer Service without a receipt and say they want to return it. I've worked in retail for a few years over the course of my life, and I've seen this happen numerous times.
Old 06-08-04, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Really! Thanks for the late-breaking news. I was honest with them, I got it as a gift. I didn't think I was entitled to the exchange, I took a chance. And it worked

Stores require receipts because anyone can walk in the store go to the DVD racks and pick up a movie then take it over to Customer Service without a receipt and say they want to return it
Except I checked it in as I came in.
Old 06-08-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
I still don't know why the educated consumer (The people that post here) continually bother with the employees at Best Buy.

1) if you're buying a DVD or CD, just go pick it up and pay for it.

2) on a big ticket items everyone should do their own research before buying the product. If its going to cost you $1600 for a new TV, why leave it up to the guys at Best Buy to decide where your $1600 go?

My one experiance in buying a TV at BB was rather simple. I went one day, looked around and got a few models that seemed like it would be right for my house. Went home did some research on which TV was right for us. Went the next day, went to the TV section and told the guy which TV I wanted. He did his whole thing about how they had a bigger model and I politly said no this is the one I wanted and that was it. Yes he gave me the service plan speech but it was rather simple to say no to that as well.

And about the service plan, don't give the guy shit for offering. Its his job to make you spend as much money as possible. Its the job of every employee at every buisness.

Chanster, I don't blame you for going ahead and trying to exchange your copy without a reciept. I would have tried the same thing. But as soon as I went up there and asked for the exchange and they said "we need a reciept" I would have backed off. Instead you decided to argue with them even though you KNOW you weren't entitled to the exchange.

Also Tarantino or anyone else the works at Best Buy. I have a copy of Van Wilder that doesn't play in widescreen for some reason. I have a reciept but the problem was that I bought it a few months ago. Do you think I might be able to get lucky and get an exchange on it with the 6 month old reciept?
Old 06-08-04, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by dvd-fanman
Stores require receipts because anyone can walk in the store go to the DVD racks and pick up a movie then take it over to Customer Service without a receipt and say they want to return it. I've worked in retail for a few years over the course of my life, and I've seen this happen numerous times.
actually I have seen people go to the shelf and get things and then pull out a receipt to get a return.

It is a sad reality that theft and bad returns are a huge problem in retail.
Old 06-08-04, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dvd-fanman
Best Buy puts a sticker on return items when you walk in the door, so I'm not sure how grabbing one off the shelf would be effective...
Old 06-08-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Instead you decided to argue with them even though you KNOW you weren't entitled to the exchange.
Whats wrong with aruging? I want clarify - I wasn't yelling, there wasn't a scene, it was just me asking questions and re-telling my story. Heck, as mentioned previously, there wasn't anyone even in the return line, so I didn't feel guilty about holding people up.

I wasn't berating anyone, screaming or throwing things. I just asked questions and eventually they made the change.
Old 06-08-04, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 351 Likes on 261 Posts
Originally posted by Walter Neff
Best Buy puts a sticker on return items when you walk in the door, so I'm not sure how grabbing one off the shelf would be effective...
They've never done this to me when I've brought defective stuff back.
Old 06-08-04, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by chanster
Whats wrong with aruging? I want clarify - I wasn't yelling, there wasn't a scene, it was just me asking questions and re-telling my story. Heck, as mentioned previously, there wasn't anyone even in the return line, so I didn't feel guilty about holding people up.

I wasn't berating anyone, screaming or throwing things. I just asked questions and eventually they made the change.
Regardless, you knew their policy and you still cheated them into giving you the newer version. People wonder why BB employees get frustrated its because of guys like you who bother them until you get what you want completely ignoring their policy.
Old 06-08-04, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Goat3001
Regardless, you knew their policy and you still cheated them into giving you the newer version. People wonder why BB employees get frustrated its because of guys like you who bother them until you get what you want completely ignoring their policy.
Pardon my French, but what the heck are you talking about? Chanster clearly said that he received the older (and still in print) version of Casablanca as a gift, and that it had been purchased by the gift-giver at Best Buy. (The Best Buy stickers were still on it.) He merely wanted to exchange it at Best Buy (the one he was exchanging was still sealed, and could be put right back on the shelf for sale) and pay the difference for the better version. How, exactly, is he cheating anyone? How does Best Buy lose any money on this?
Old 06-08-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wasn't cheating anyone. If I lied about it fine, you have a case.

Doing customer exchanges is part of the retail business. Sure there are creaps that abuse it, but its the first time in about 2 years I have asked to exchange something without a receipt.

Policies? Everyone knows that "policy" is not set in stone. Price matching policy? Changs all the time depeding if manager wants to make the sale. Return policy? Up to the discretion of the manager. They can do it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.