Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Charged Double By Hollywood Video

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-04, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On Thursday I stumble into my Hollywood Video and purchase 2 copies of Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs. The total came to 52.98. swipe my card but it doesn't goes through. The clerk said it was just hanging there. I asked him if he wanted to swipe it again to which he said yes. One quick swipe and boom, all is good. I used my check card for the purchase.

So, I go online to check my balance in my bank account and see a pending charge for $105.96. I do still have my receipt which states the charge was $52.98. So, I emailed my bank to let them know of the error. Most likely the charge won't show until Tuesday.

My question is, are my chances good at getting the $52.98 back that I was charged extra? I mean, HW only has one copy of my signature on the slip...so it shouldn't be an issue, right?
Old 04-17-04, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What probably happened was they got two authorizations, but will only capture the funds once. What happens with a check card, it shows authorizations at first. Then they disappear at the end of the bank day and show up a couple of days later as an actual charge. If they do end up charging you twice, you can always do a chargeback, which will get you your money back. Because they can only prove a charge for 1 $52.98 transaction.
Old 04-17-04, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is what I thought but was just looking for some feedback. Much appreciated