Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Netflix raising rates

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Netflix raising rates

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Netflix raising rates

Just got an email this morning that Netflix is raising their rates...i had just upgraded to the 8 out plan last month (easiest for renting tv series), which costs $39.95 but as of June 15 will be $49.95.

Anybody know if the rates are going up on the 5 out or 3 out as well? I'll probably be going back to the 5 out if its still $29.95.
Old 04-16-04, 12:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2 out is only jumping a buck to $14.99
Old 04-16-04, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 out now at $33.95

The 5 out plan has gone up $4.00
Old 04-16-04, 01:27 PM

3 out plan increased by 2$
Old 04-16-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
15 bucks a month for their current 2-out plan is a ripoff [the last I saw, the two out allows you a max of 4 a month]. I'm grandfathered in to where I get 2-out, unlimited per month, which is reasonably.
That's quite a big jump for the 8-out plan.
How does this affect gift certificates? I got my parents a 5-month, 3-out gift cert for Christmas. They haven't activated it yet [they were planning to move soon, and all the hassle that goes with moving]. I assume they would still get what I paid for.
Old 04-16-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since launching our service four years ago, we've added more than 20 distribution centers in order to provide one-business-day delivery to most of our members. We've also expanded our library by thousands of titles and now offer more than 18,000 to choose from. During the four years, improvements such as these, as well as postal changes, have increased the cost of doing business.
On June 15, 2004, our prices will change to:

Standard - 3 movies out a time for $21.99
Plus - 5 movies out a time for $33.99
Ultimate - 8 movies out at a time for $49.99
Economy - 2 movies out at a time (limit: 4 rentals per month) for $14.99

http://www.netflix.com/FAQ?p_fadvdta...tr=help_member

my account still says 'Unlimited rentals per month [they call mine 'Lite', not 'Economy'], which is good, because if that changed, as much as I like to support the groundbreaker, I might have to check out Walmart's rental service..

Wal-Mart DVD Double Feature Plan
$15.54
(first 30 days free) 2 out;
Wal-Mart DVD Standard Plan
$18.76 3 out
Wal-Mart DVD Plus Plan
$21.94 4 out

On the three out plan, that's a 15% savings a month...

Last edited by tonyc3742; 04-16-04 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-16-04, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by dtcarson
Since launching our service four years ago, we've added more than 20 distribution centers in order to provide one-business-day delivery to most of our members. We've also expanded our library by thousands of titles and now offer more than 18,000 to choose from. During the four years, improvements such as these, as well as postal changes, have increased the cost of doing business.
On June 15, 2004, our prices will change to:

Standard - 3 movies out a time for $21.99
Plus - 5 movies out a time for $33.99
Ultimate - 8 movies out at a time for $49.99
Economy - 2 movies out at a time (limit: 4 rentals per month) for $14.99

http://www.netflix.com/FAQ?p_fadvdta...tr=help_member

my account still says 'Unlimited rentals per month [they call mine 'Lite', not 'Economy'], which is good, because if that changed, as much as I like to support the groundbreaker, I might have to check out Walmart's rental service..

Wal-Mart DVD Double Feature Plan
$15.54
(first 30 days free) 2 out;
Wal-Mart DVD Standard Plan
$18.76 3 out
Wal-Mart DVD Plus Plan
$21.94 4 out

On the three out plan, that's a 15% savings a month...

In regards to your post. I feel your pain. However are you going to get the same service, and the ability to watch widescreen movies? I am curious to see how Wal-Mart's plan pans out for you. Could you keep us all posted? I am a bit concerned with Wal-Mart due to some selective Full Screen only sales I have encountered.
Old 04-16-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's why....

Netflix 1Q loss widens

Online DVD renter says higher marketing costs boosts sales, subscribers but hurt earnings.
April 15, 2004: 4:32 PM EDT

LOS ANGELES, (Reuters) - Online DVD renter Netflix Inc. reported Thursday a wider first-quarter net loss as the higher marketing costs it forecast in February helped boost sales and subscribers but hurt earnings.

The Los Gatos, Calif.-based Netflix (NFLX: Research, Estimates) said it generated a net loss of $5.8 million, or 11 cents a share, versus a $2.4 million, or 5 cents, net loss in the year-earlier quarter.

Revenue nearly doubled to $100.4 million from $55.7 million during the same period.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 04-16-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Walmart--That's the one thing that's really keeping me with Netflix--since they opened a distro center near me, I'm getting things within 1-2 days. But I'm also only getting a couple a month, and *I've heard* people who rent more, somehow run into this odd slowdown in shipping/processing.
Haven't browsed Wm's selection yet; we're about to go on vacation, but when we get back, might try their 30-day trial.
Re: the press release--Doesn't it cost 10x-50x as much to get a new customer, as it does to keep current ones? I'm not surprised their marketing costs are that high--everything in Best Buy has got one of those cardboard tickets on it, and they're sponsoring WeatherBug....They're not as bad as AOL, but they're getting there...
Old 04-16-04, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been on 8 out at a time since I started, but $10/month increase is too much. I'll be dropping down to 5 out as well.

Seems like they're targeting the 8 out the most, it's a 25% increase. It's only 10-13% for the other plans.
Old 04-16-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm definately going down to the 5 out plan, $4 extra really isnt all that much, but the 8 out plan is way too much with the increase.
I am really happy with netflix, i get almost everything next day and when i return stuff they always get it the day after.
Haven't really thought about trying walmart, Netflix's selection is great, and as an earlier poster said they always have the WS versions, many Criterions and OOP's as well.
Old 04-16-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I new this was going to happen as soon as I saw them start running Netflix commercials on TV. I do the 3 out plan, & while 2 dollars more is still a million times better than going to a Blockbuster, the main reason I'm bummed is that the prices jacked up & over the past month or so instead of getting my movies in 1-2 days, they have consistantly been taking 3-4 days now.
Old 04-16-04, 06:30 PM
Banned

i'm sticking with the 8 out. It's still cheaper than going local, plus the selection has lots of stuff that wal-mart doesn't, and I don't like wal-mart's mandatory $19.95 replacement fee for any lost dvd.
Old 04-16-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
what about the guys like us who were on the 4 out a month before they jacked up the prices? I'm one of the grandfathered members that still only pays $20/month for 4 out at a time.

[EDIT] Looks like they are changing us too. I am going to write an email and complain. The 3 per months sucks and it's far too much of a jump in price to justify 5 per months. *******s!

Last edited by Deftones, Esq; 04-16-04 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-16-04, 07:09 PM

I was coming over to post this, but it looks like everyone else is on top of it. I can just see the outrage now with everyone in a uproar over a few bucks. I saw this coming for a long time and I'm surprised it took them this long to increase the price. Even if the price went up to 24.95, it's still a great bargain. If you get three movies a week on the 3 out plan, that's 12 movies a month. If I'm correct with my math that's still only $2.00 a rental, which is a $2 discount from most rental stores. I honestly think we're all getting spoiled with Netflix and the low price of renting a movie. Just my opinion.
Old 04-16-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Have the 3 out plan... when I first started I did so mainly because of price. Now that I see how convenient it is AND having a vastly improved libarary of rentals I wouldn't even think of quitting over a $2.00 increase.
Old 04-16-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For those considering Wal Mart... I tried both Netflix and WalMart. Turnaround was about the same for me. I chose Netflix because the selection was far superior and WalMart makes the user pay for lost movies. Can you imagine? The USPS or WalMart loses a movie and YOU pay for it. Goofy.
Old 04-16-04, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Netflix is doing a lot better shipping-wise than they used to.
Yesterday I got an email saying they had shipped something, expect it by Saturday; it was in my mailbox today. I can deal with that.
Old 04-16-04, 10:37 PM

Looks like I'm going to drop down to the 5 out at a time. I use a rental site for foreign movies and they only charge $37 for 8 out at a time with no tax.
Old 04-17-04, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
what about the guys like us who were on the 4 out a month before they jacked up the prices? I'm one of the grandfathered members that still only pays $20/month for 4 out at a time.

[EDIT] Looks like they are changing us too. I am going to write an email and complain. The 3 per months sucks and it's far too much of a jump in price to justify 5 per months. *******s!
Ok, now that I got my panties in a knot for nothing. Got the email. I still get 4 per month, and they are only raising it to $21.99 a months. That's only a $2 increase. That's still a great rate for those of us who have supported Netflix for as long as it has been around.
Old 04-17-04, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
Ok, now that I got my panties in a knot for nothing. Got the email. I still get 4 per month, and they are only raising it to $21.99 a months. That's only a $2 increase. That's still a great rate for those of us who have supported Netflix for as long as it has been around.
I'm glad you got those panties untied because you really had me scared there for a minute.

Netflix has had it's share of ups and downs over the years, but a measly $2 price increase I can live with. They do however, need to start stocking up on new releases...I'm getting tired of constantly getting the "Long Wait" availability in the queue.
Old 04-17-04, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts
Well, two dollars for some of you, -fifteen dollars for me. I'll be dropping to the five plan instead. Obviously, they don't like the "8 Out" people, since they're almost going out of their way to make the rates punitive. I guess they see us as a blight in the system, -holding on to titles to long (which I don't really do).

Last edited by DWilson; 04-17-04 at 04:03 AM.
Old 04-17-04, 06:46 AM

8 out plan is dead now with those charges I think. I will also be going down to 5 out. I have been considering this anyway as really don't take advantage of the 8 out in any case but this now makes my decision for me.
Old 04-17-04, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts
Wasn't aware of that 20 dollar charge for lost discs from Walmart. I tried their 30 day trial. They carry quite a few titles that Netflix doesn't and none of the ones I saw were fullscreen releases. However the availability was lousy and my turnaround was more like 2-4 days instead of the 1-2 days I'm seeing with NetFlix. I'd like to see Netflix improve their selection of older titles. Their request form doesn't seem to yield much in my experience.
Old 04-17-04, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sheesh and I just joined last month too. I was initially going to go with Walmart after their free trial, until I rented the new Running Man disc and they sent me the Fullscreen disc when while they're site doesn't make the distinction (it lists both formats in the description). Well, the two dollar uptick for me, isn't going to kill me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.