Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

dvdsoon.com experiences?

Old 02-20-04, 04:40 AM

dvdsoon.com experiences?

saw a nice price for the lone wolf and cub films at canadian dvd site www.dvdsoon.com , wondering how they are. So, thoughts, experiences, recommendations?
Old 02-20-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Many people do not like them for a variety of reasons. I have had good experience and saved a lot of money with them.
Old 02-20-04, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by movielib
Many people do not like them for a variety of reasons.
And one of the biggest reasons are they charge your credit card immediately after placing an order. I wouldn't recommend preordering anything that is being released in several months or longer unless you don't mind paying for it now.
Old 02-20-04, 04:23 PM

I've had nothing but good experiences with them. I have had about four orders with them and everything arrived pretty quickly. Most recently was with the Alien Quadrilogy and I received that set a week before it streeted.
Old 02-20-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

- My first order with them took 6 weeks to arrive.
- My second order took about 4 weeks to arrive.
- Another order had a movie go MIA and they gave me a credit and I was told that i would have to re-order the movie???? I was about to reorder the movie and noticed that the price had gone up????
-They were showing a OOP movie for sale but it was listed as "on order". I sent them an E-mail asking them if they could inform me when this movie was in stock ( I did not want pay and wait 6-8 weeks), and they told me that they were not allowed to do this?????
- They did have low prices but I noticed that they recently increased their prices by as much as $10.00

Recommendation

Place an order only if the movie is listed as "on hand".
Old 02-20-04, 11:59 PM

thanks for all the comments and advice. I think I'll look around more before I commit.
Old 02-22-04, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have bought hundreds of movies from them with no problems. They do charge for the disk right away, but that is not a problem for me. Any time I have had to make a return they have given me credit for the disk and the return shipping. a couple of times the credit for the disk was not at the current price, but that was quickly changed with an email to them and then I reordered. Preorders I usually get before street date.
Old 02-24-04, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

As howwon said only order titles 'On Hand', otherwise you won't get it.
Old 02-24-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Whatever you do, do not order from these guys. See my other DVDSoon thread. I ordered a product from them that said it would take 3-5 days to get back in December. Cut to February 6th. I cancel that order and place a pre-order. The title I pre-ordered now shows - On Order 3-5 days.

Screw DVDSoon!
Old 02-24-04, 12:43 PM

placed many orders in the past weeks - very happy customer here. Although I find it a bit strange that they don't have many movies on release day (waited 3 weeks on alien/aliens back in jan, eventually canceled then and ordered elsewhere)
nice shop, good interface, some stupid rules (8 dvds max per order? even though they do partial shipping) sometimes long waits but they are quite often the cheapest retailer for a title
Old 02-25-04, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally posted by Gunde
As howwon said only order titles 'On Hand', otherwise you won't get it.
Then why have I preordered scores of discs that I have gotten? One time one never came and they gave me a credit as soon as the "wait period" ended.
Old 02-25-04, 05:01 AM

dvdsoon has actually gotten better in the past few months after they upgraded their website. Ditto the comments about ordering only if in stock. I recently purchased the Fantasia Anthology from them and it arrived in less than a week from Quebec to WA state. Before it them 3-4 days to ship; now it takes just 1-2 days to ge the product out the door.