Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Ebay Question

Old 02-19-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ebay Question

I've never bid on anything before on ebay.

When I click on place bid, it lists the current bid at $1.00 (0 bids).
It then asks for my maximum bid.

Let's say I put in $5.00. Will it bid $5.00 for me now or will it bid $1.00 now ?

If the latter then how much does it increase the bid by each time ?

Thanks.
Old 02-19-04, 03:45 PM

It bids the minimum for now.

How much increases depends on what the current price is, and what the other guy bids. Basically, it will bid it up by the minimum requird to keep beating the other bidder, without going over your max.
Old 02-19-04, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It simply remembers that you are willing to go as high as $5.00, but only actually bids the $1.00 at this time. If I show up a few minutes later and bid $1.25, eBay tells me I've been out bid and goes up to $1.50 of YOUR max bid ... etc. etc,

It's called proxy bidding, and is explained on eBay.

Worth reading their information....

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/proxy-bidding.html
Old 02-19-04, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Grenadier
It bids the minimum for now.

How much increases depends on what the current price is, and what the other guy bids. Basically, it will bid it up by the minimum requird to keep beating the other bidder, without going over your max.
Thanks.
Old 02-19-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by marty888
It simply remembers that you are willing to go as high as $5.00, but only actually bids the $1.00 at this time. If I show up a few minutes later and bid $1.25, eBay tells me I've been out bid and goes up to $1.50 of YOUR max bid ... etc. etc,

It's called proxy bidding, and is explained on eBay.

Worth reading their information....

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/proxy-bidding.html
I did read their info on buying but didn't see anything on proxy bidding.

This is what I found:

How do I buy an item?

Buying on eBay is easy - and fun! You can find almost anything for sale - from new computers to antiques and collectibles.

Here are a few basic steps to get you started:
Find an item.
Search by typing in a keyword for an item you're interested in, or browse through our categories.

Learn about the item you found.
Read the item description carefully, and look at the pictures the seller has included. If you have any questions about the item that aren't answered in the item's description, you can ask the seller about the item by clicking on the 'Ask Seller a Question' link. Carefully reading all the information and asking informed questions will help you determine if this is the item you want!

Review the seller's feedback.
You can see the seller's feedback score and percentage of positive feedback right on the item page. Also, be sure and read the comments left by the seller's previous buyers to be sure that this is a seller you feel you can trust.

Bid or Buy It Now.
Once you've found the item you want, you can place a bid or purchase the item instantly using Buy It Now. Some items are sold only in auction-style listings that require you to place a bid, while others include the Buy It Now option. This allows you to buy the item instantly. Check the item page to see what purchase options are available to you.

Pay for the item.
After you've won or purchased the item, send your payment to the seller. If the seller offers PayPal, clicking on the Pay Now button will allow you to pay quickly and easily with PayPal, eBay's preferred way to pay. Just check the seller's listing or email invoice to find out what the preferred payment method is and where you should send your payment.

Leave feedback.
Here's your chance to tell the eBay community about your experience with this seller. You can leave feedback for any eBay member you've bought from or sold to.

For more details, take our Buying Tour
Old 02-20-04, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Struz
I did read their info on buying but didn't see anything on proxy bidding.

...which is why I provided the link for you.
Old 02-29-04, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The first thing to do, is figure out if it's a regular auction or a dutch auction. If it's Dutch, there's no proxy bidding--you bid an amount, and a number of items you want, and that's your bid (but maybe not what you pay--everyone who ends up winning at the end pays what the lowest winning bid was).

Most auctions are for just one thing and not Dutch though. For those:

1. Bid your max plus a few odd cents ($12.00 is not as wise a bid as $12.06 because most people bid in even amounts.)
2. Bid as late in the auction as possible to avoid attracting interest in the auction by nibblers. This will also protect you (at least somewhat) from shilling.

If you're nervous about cutting it close or don't want to be by your computer, there are lots of websites that will do it for you. I use vrane.com since they let you have one snipe at a time for free but there are lots of others.

Proxy bidding will only bid what it has to to keep you in the lead. It can jump though, if it's a reserve auction (so if the reserve is $40, and the starting bid $10, if you bid $50, it will go to $40 right away to meet the reserve. Otherwise it will jump to one bid increment above the highest bid unless the other guy's bid is higher (in which case, his revealed bid will go up.)

Anyway, proxy bidding is the way to go, but make it a late bid too. For some reason, once an item has bids, it is more attractive to other people, and they'll fight over it when that same item with no bids, goes unnoticed. Human nature, I guess.

tasha
(Also, since you're new, just a warning about shipping and handling: if the auction doesn't state the amount, email and get a quote so you aren't surprised later.