Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Deep Discount DVD Question.

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Deep Discount DVD Question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-04, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just recently cancelled two items that I ordered in late November that were still on Backorder, and I'm still waiting for an item ordered on December 2. Additionally, despite preordering Farscape 4.2 well in advance of the release date (1/27), I'm still waiting for them to get it in stock.

Still DDD often has good prices. So as long as you don't actually care whether your order takes two or three months, they're often worth the hassle.
Old 02-16-04, 10:31 PM
WaD

Anybody out there?

It seems to me that service at all of the online dvd retailers has suddenly taken a nosedive. I dont need to name names, as I am generally referring to the same ones referred to above and the other biggies.

Suddenly, everything I order is on backorder even though I have seen them in stores. If I try to cancel, there are no longer real acknowledgements. (phony autoreplies dont count)
Old 02-18-04, 11:58 AM

Blame it on corporate outsourcing for everything these days. The orders are probably being handled by someone in India.

DDD is still a great place for DVD's and I still use them except for big name releases that I can get cheaper the first week at Best Buy or Circuit City but DDD's service has taken a nose dive in the last 6 months. I have ordered probably close to 1,000 DVD's from them over the past 3 years and service now is at an all time low. Lot's of backorders, slow shipping, etc. However if you are looking for decent prices and don't mind waiting and also looking for things most main stream stores don't carry, DDD is still the best of the lot.
Old 02-18-04, 01:57 PM

Does DDD ship 1st class for free now? I placed an order there a few weeks ago, and I swear it said media mail, and it came media mail (sloooowest media mail I've ever received), but now it says "standard delivery". Does that mean 1st class?
Old 02-18-04, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by bdrules
Does DDD ship 1st class for free now? I placed an order there a few weeks ago, and I swear it said media mail, and it came media mail (sloooowest media mail I've ever received), but now it says "standard delivery". Does that mean 1st class?
Just hope they send you the title you ordered. I think I have placed my last order with DDD. They sent me the wrong Dvd (not even close in the title). Called them minutes after receiving it on 1/20 and was told they would send me a label to return it to them that would arrive in 7 to 10 days. Its now been 29 days today. I sent it back last Friday with delivery confirmation which cost me 2.07. I did finally receive a response to my email 6 days later saying they would send out another return label but I do not trust them anymore. I did call them a second time when the label had not arrived and was way over due and was told to just keep waiting and it would arrive. I think over the last 3 or so years I have ordered well over 3,000.00 in Dvd's from them but not anymore....
Old 02-22-04, 09:58 AM
Banned

Originally posted by ernestrp
I have placed many orders with them but they sure are awful when they make a mistake. They sent the wrong title that I received on 1/20. Called them that day and was told they would send me a return label that would be here in 7 to 10 days. I called them today to check on it and was told call back the end of next week if the return label had not arrived yet. Looks like at that point I may just have to call my CC company.

Not to mention the title I ordered was released on 1/13/2004 and according to DDD it has been dis-continued and no longer available.
I'm having the exact same problem with DVDPlanet which apparently has now been absorbed by DeepDiscountDVD. They shipped the wrong dvd. When I called they said they would ship me a return label in 2 days but it would go out BULK mail. They won't invest $.37 to correct their own mistake.
Old 02-22-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'm rarely in a hurry when I order DVDs. For new releases, it dosen't bother me if I get it on the day it's released or a week later. I have such a large backlog of unwatched DVDs in my collection that it doesn't matter whether I add another one this Tuesday or a week from Friday.

For me, DDD is fine. I've ordered 103 DVDs from them (about 20% of my collection) with nary a glitch. The dozen times I've contacted them about a price match they responded within a couple of hours, and the two times I've gone to them to see if they could add a title to their inventory (once for Neverwhere, once for a Horatio Hornblower set.... both A&E titles I might add), they did so within a day *and* priced both of them very aggressively ($21.25 vs A&E's $39.95 SRP).

I appreciate that some folks have had problems, and there are even a few who have had nothing but a string of bad luck. I'm guessing that it's more due to coincidence, and that in a community as large as ours there's likely to always be someone who has a horror story to tell about any given vendor. All I can say is that from my experience, DDD has been a great place to do business with. Of course, YMMV.
Old 02-22-04, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
1. I'm very happy with DDD. Very.
2. Apparently, shipping is always free (no matter the number of items) in the States. To Canada, DDD has an exceptionally generous flat rate of $4.95.
Old 02-24-04, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My latest DDD experience: ordered 2 titles on Tuesday Feb 17 .... received email confirmations almost immediately. Items shipped on Wednesday Feb 18 .....items received on Monday Feb 23.

all the way.
Old 02-24-04, 10:57 AM

I placed my first order from DDD yesterday, and today I
received an email that one of the two DVD's I ordered is
on backorder. I wish they had a real time inventory
website like DVDEMPIRE rather than me playing a guessing
game as to if they have a DVD in stock or not. Well, I guessed
wrong but I will keep my order with DDD the way it is and see
how it all goes.
Old 02-25-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I seriously think MOST of their problems - stock lower than pre-order numbers, sending out wrong titles and so on - can be blamed on their crappy, buggy website.

My solution is to be near Itasca, and to just visit their outlet store every Tuesday. No waiting, no delivery mistakes.
Old 02-27-04, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Kal Varnsen
Hey brizz, where are you at in Michigan? I'm in Grand Rapids, and it still takes atleast a week for shipping to me.
I'm in Traverse City....sorry i didn't notice this reply until just now...but I rarely have any problems getting stuff from them or DVDPlanet (now the same Co) when they ship out of Itasca....almost always less than a week.
Old 02-28-04, 02:58 PM
Banned

I just ordered a dvd from them last night. Later on I get an email showing the movie I ordered. After that I get another one that has the movie I ordered plus another movie. How did that happen!?!?!?

I go to the website and on my order status it shows two movies. My movie and The Missing. Not only is it a movie I never looked at on their site but it's also fullscreen.

I sent an email asking wtf is going on. I get the feeling they are going to say that I can't cancel The Missing and that they are going to make me ship it back.

If they try and pull that stunt, I am going to just call my credit card company and get my money back and keep the movie. You don't have to pay for stuff you don't order.

Lately I have been going through horrormovies.com as they send the stuff out quick. If I order Thursday morning I'll have it by Monday. The only reason I didn't do it that time was that they didn't have what I wanted. Of course I send an email this morning asking if they will get it and they told me they just added it.

I guess I am officially done with DDD
Old 02-28-04, 07:21 PM
Banned

Wow, they cancelled The Missing today without a hassle. I only wish the rest of you got your problems solved as easy as I.

Of course it doesn't mean I plan on ordering from them again.

Unless there is a 20% reason to
Old 03-01-04, 04:41 PM

my update- My first order with DDD has turned out a-ok!
I placed my order for 2 DVD's on 02/23/04. On 02/24/04 I
received an email from DDD that one DVD is in stock but
the other DVD is on backorder. On 02/25/04 I received
an email that both DVD's had shipped! Today(03/01/04)
I received the items in perfect condition. So, I placed an
order on a Monday and received my entire order on the
very next Monday. Cool.
Old 03-01-04, 06:57 PM

I placed my first order on DeepDiscountDVD today, I've never trusted them but at such cheap prices I went for it.

Sailor Moon Uncut Season 1
Sailor Moon Uncut Season 2
Blue Seed Beyond

$325 dollars worth of anime, $99 shipped [2 day shipping]

How DDD does it, I have no idea, hopefully I'll get my order Thursday and marathon on my day off from college...
Old 03-15-04, 08:37 PM
Cool New Member

It's funny, I didn't think I was in a hurry for my DVDs until I ordered through DDD. Now after waiting six weeks I realise I would rather order through someone slightly more expensive than have to wait this long. Orders placed with other companies after my DDD orders came through two weeks ago, so why does it take DDD so long?
I have sent an eamil asking them about the delay, but haven't received a reply. I had a similar problem the last time I ordered with DDD, but they promised me that it was a one-off delay and would not happen again. Well, I may not be the smartest person around, but I know when to give up on a company.
In my opinion DDD are not cheap enough to cover the hassle of actually getting the DVDs.
Old 03-16-04, 03:32 AM
Cool New Member

I have an update. Today I got an email saying that my items had actually shipped two weeks after the shipping confirmation.
So, that explains the delay. Pity it makes DDD look like inefficent chumps. What is the point of a shipping confirmation if they don't actually ship it?
DDD still don't seem to have their act together.
Old 03-17-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DDD has been pretty good to me. I started using them after they were reccomended here and with the cheapest price and free shipping they usually win. Shipping to me has usually taken about a week but I've had a few that were 2 weeks or so. They were really cool about a price error on their part and honored it but I am Still working out a problem over a $5 dvd from the 20% off sale in December. I had ordered a dvd that immediately went on backorder in Dec during the sale as a lot of titles were, and then recieved a shipping confirmation at the end of December. Well, middle of January and no dvd, so I call and they said they'd ship another, they refunded my cc and then charged it again, I recieved the package a few weeks later only to open it and find "Yoga for Surfers Vol1" (incorrect item) So I call again and they said we'll send you a label to send it back, so I send it back the next week when the label comes and wait.....and finally email them twice about the status and they say they still havn't recieved it after about 2 weeks and wont send a replacement until they've recieved the return.....then I email again and they said they recieved the return and my item was on backorder until March 3rd.......So I emailed again recently and they email back saying it has shipped but didn't give a date- So here I am still waiting and I emeiled them again asking for a ship date. This has been incredibly frustrating and in the last few emails I have asked for a refund and to just cancel the order cause this has been an annoyance and their responses have never mentioned it in the replys.....so We'll see.....thank goodness it was only a $5 dvd.......they're treating me like they think I'm trying to scam them or something by not recieving the 1st shipment and the incorrect item (their fault) the 2nd time..
Old 03-17-04, 11:44 PM

Definitely one of my preferred sites....I've bought from them many times over the past couple of years. Yes, they are slow sometimes. I too had a backorder delay back in Dec w/the 20% deal. I got Alias Season 2 before..Season 1 (go figure). Took them over a month to finally get it out.

But on average across the board they are cheaper than most sites..always shop around. DDD is who I usually check first and then go from there.
Old 03-23-04, 06:22 PM

This is usually my number one site. I e-mail and speak with them frequently.

I guess they use Media mail which can take up to 15 business days in some areas. Usually takes 7-11 to reach me.

Anytime I have a problem with a package(which is rare), I can call and ask for a postage paid label, however I usually spend the $2 and send it back using the label provided on the back of the invoice, it really expedites the turnaround time.

Overall, my experience with DDDVD has been satisfactory. It's hard to beat the prices 2!
Old 03-25-04, 08:10 AM

I use DDD a lot, but have one major problem with them.

Although they may have the best price when a title is released, on pre-orders this may not be the case.

For example SCHOOL OF ROCK was around $20 for pre-orders, but when that title was actually released, DDD dropped their price to $15.89--a $4 price drop.

While DDD will actually do a price adjustment, you have to ask for it and then hope that it is actually processed. They do not grant across-the-board adjustments for all pre-orders--you have to first ask for it!

I am suggesting that it is not worth going to DDD for pre-orders due to the extra hassle of asking for a reduced price. On major titles, I just buy them at my retail store during the first week of release and not wait for a price adjustment!
Old 03-26-04, 02:10 PM

That kind of stuff doesn't just happen at DDD. Best Buy was taking pre-orders for the new Who cd for $11.99 but a week before it's released it dropped to $9.99.
Old 03-26-04, 03:44 PM
Cool New Member

Just an update. I have finally received one of the DVDs from my second order. However, it was shipped a week after the rest of the order, so it looks like those DVDs did not make it.

Yet another email sent to DDD. I guess they will credit me and replace them like the first order that went missing.

So, my tally so far is two orders split into four shipments. Only one DVD arrived.

Kinda hard to be impressed.
Old 04-01-04, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by sillysimon
[I]Oh I place about 5-10 orders a week with them.
How insane is that? Do you do individual orders for every single title you buy?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.