DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Netflix (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/339386-netflix.html)

Easy 01-09-04 11:03 AM

Originally posted by El Kabong
... And meanwhile Netflix continued to charge me even though they were no longer sending me movies. When I called they said my account was on hold & not cancelled so they could still charge me even though they were no longer providing me with a service. I asked if they thought it would be okay if a magazine continued to charge me even though they stopped sending me issues. They just stuck by the "our policy" BS and said that I could have my account reopened if I got them the letter. ...
]
Sounds like they were stealing from you . I sure hope your credit card shut them down.
I was impressed with their free trial but after I signed up I swear I really think they have intentionally slowed down the turnaround. I live in Missouri but the disks are ruturned to Minnesota. Minnesota? WTF?? Anyone know where all their distro centers are? There must be one closer than Minnesota.

taa455 01-09-04 02:05 PM

Originally posted by chemosh6969
The one thing keeping me from ever trying Wal-Mart is the fact that if a dvd is lost, you have to pay $19.95.

I'll just stick with Netflix.

Well I have to agree with you. I signed up for Netflix yesterday. Bottom line, I don't trust walmart with something like this.

nightmaster 01-24-04 03:39 PM

I started a trial membership last Saturday. Got 3 in the mail Wednesday, back in the mailbox Thursday and now I'm curious to see when I'll get my next shipment. I'm sure with the holiday last Monday I'll have to wait to see how fast or slow they really are, but if I can expect one cycle of 3 movies per week I will be more than happy to go $20 a month with them. I live in a smallish town that has only a Family Video as our option and it is SORELY lacking in catalog titles. If it's not a brand new release they simply don't have it to rent here, whereas Netflix seems to have an awesome library of titles to choose from......shoot, my queue gets bigger every few days.

Deftones 01-24-04 05:38 PM

Originally posted by g
I personally would quit the service but I get four disks out for the current price becauseI joined the service before it changed. The service is fine. But, I enjoy buying dvd's more and as the price to acquire new dvd's goes down I have tons of unwatched stuff. But I cant stand to quit netflix because I get 4 disks out at a time instead of 3
I am the same, but I'd never quit the service. It does require some planning since there is no instant gratification like going to the local rental place. With my 4 out at a time, I can usually get through that many a week or a few more. There is a distribution center in my city, so it's a 3 day turn around. Ships out one day, get it the next. They get it, send one out, and I get it the next day. In a good movie watching month, I could potentially get about 20 titles to watch.

al_bundy 01-26-04 09:47 AM

I stopped buying DVD's because after my collection got to 150 I would barely watch most of them. Some would only get watched once a year. With Netflix I mostly rent TV shows I haven't watched and I go through 2 disks a week minimum.

Tony Dvdfan 01-26-04 06:06 PM

I joined a couple weeks back, and im very happy with there selection and speed. I drop them in the mail, they receive the next day and send three more out that same day....basically about 6 rentals a week!
I was wondering, though...referring to the Walmart policy pertaining to the $20 charge for loss, what happens when a Netflix rental is lost?

Movie_Man 01-27-04 11:26 AM

Originally posted by Tony Dvdfan
what happens when a Netflix rental is lost?
Netflix will absorb the loss, unless it becomes suspicious. I've never had a lost disc in nearly 2 years.

nightmaster 01-29-04 04:30 AM

What I've seen from Netflix so far is kind of kooky. but Im sure I'll stay with them for their wonderful library of varied titles. I sent 3 discs from Indiana to the distribution center 250 miles away in St. Louis last thursday, they all seemed to arrive staggered by looking at my account online, and I got my first new disc after that the following wednesday, with the other two supposedly in my mailbox thursday and friday ......so I think Im looking at a one week turnaround best scenario on movies. The winter weather probably isn't helping my cause, though, lots of snow dumped in my region over the past 5 days.