DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Netflix (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/339386-netflix.html)

cybotron6000 01-05-04 08:17 PM

Netflix

Just wanted to know if anybody or anyone know anything about using Netflix..I usually rent from Hollywood Video or Blockbuster and thinking about trying it out..Good or no good..Your thoughts.

unbeeleebable 01-05-04 08:33 PM

Excellent for me lately. With opening a lot of new distribution facilities turn around times are vastly improved. Much better proposition than going back and forth to a video store.

nemein 01-05-04 08:52 PM

I've used them for years and still love it. I just chalk it up as another monthly bill like electricity and groceries ;) About the only time I hit a local video store is when I have a coupon or there's some sort of special/gift card.

mljones99 01-05-04 09:06 PM

I am loving them even more now that they have a facility in Greensboro. My turn around time has gotten quicker by 1-2 days.

ArchibaldTuttle 01-05-04 09:17 PM

it comes down to do you spend at least 20 bucks a month on rentals, if you do it is worth every penny, my turn around is 2-3 days, and rent between 12 and 24 a month, I love it, but if you live really far from the distribution center it might suck

chipmac 01-05-04 09:25 PM

I've also been thinking of rejoining. Do you still need to wait 6 months before a new popular release is available to ship to you? It used to be that they never had enough of the new releases and by the time you did get a copy shipped to you the disc was scatched up and unplayable.

Deckard-10 01-05-04 09:28 PM

Fantastic service. &nbsp My local distribution center is in Lansing, MI, meaning I get most all of my movies within a day or two. &nbsp I signed up September of last year and I haven't encountered one single (knock on wood) problem.

Deckard-10 01-05-04 09:36 PM

Originally posted by chipmac
I've also been thinking of rejoining. Do you still need to wait 6 months before a new popular release is available to ship to you? It used to be that they never had enough of the new releases and by the time you did get a copy shipped to you the disc was scatched up and unplayable.
I really haven't had a problem getting new releases. &nbsp The longest I think I've ever had to wait is a week. &nbsp Just today I got an email confirming that Underworld had been shipped to me. &nbsp I'd say that's pretty good considering this film isn't due to be released until tomorrow.

nemein 01-05-04 09:53 PM

It all depends upon where you have the new release in your queue and whether or not you have a turn over happening at the right time (Mon or Tues). After using them for awhile you learn how to time it to make sure you get the new releases you want. There are still a few that are hard to get if you don't time it right (for instance I've been waiting on disc 1 of Rocky and Bullwinkle since it came out) but usually they seem to have enough to go around.

vegasbaby 01-05-04 09:55 PM

Their stock is still smoking, so I assume they have New Releases in abundance. Gotta keep the public (and stockholders) happy.

Civic2oo1 01-05-04 09:58 PM

I love it. I haven't bought that many DVDs in the past few months due to Netflix. The DC is near my house so I can usually go through at least 2 cycles in a week if I'm fast. If I time it right I can have new releases waiting in my mailbox on New Release Tuesday.

Tarantino 01-05-04 09:59 PM

I love it. Hands down one of the great things about DVD.

jayson1017 01-05-04 11:12 PM

Use the free trial. Use it for two weeks. If you try canceling it before the two weeks is over, they'll extended your free trial another two weeks. So you'll get a full month free trial. After that you could decide if you want to become a member or not. If still undecided, start the free trial again using a different credit card. Continue doing this until you can make a decision.

g 01-05-04 11:48 PM

I personally would quit the service but I get four disks out for the current price becauseI joined the service before it changed. The service is fine. But, I enjoy buying dvd's more and as the price to acquire new dvd's goes down I have tons of unwatched stuff. But I cant stand to quit netflix because I get 4 disks out at a time instead of 3

Gamblor187 01-06-04 12:02 AM

I'm thinking about joining before I have my knee surgery. I'll be out 8-12 weeks, so I'll need a lot of DVDs to keep me occupied.

Quick question:

I'd like to start renting the "Babylon 5" season sets. How does this work with netflix? Do they just send me the first 3 or 4 discs of season 1....or would I have to upgrade my membership and check out the whole season (I think it's 6 or 7 discs) all at once?

jim

g 01-06-04 12:05 AM

You put each individual disk from the set on your list of desired rentals and they are usually available in my experience and they send send them out up to how many dvd's you can have out if they are available hope that answers your question. The standard membership is 3 disks out at a time so youd need to pay more to get a whole season out at once

FuzzyBallz 01-06-04 12:15 AM

Netflix is gonna put Hollywood Videos and Block Buster out of business... ok, maybe not. Been a happy customer for the past year. The way I rent movies, it's way cheaper than Block Buster. There's no BS involved regarding premium membership getting benefit over basic. The only difference is how many discs you get. The regular is 3 and I'm totally satisfied 'cause the distribution and return center is in my city. Next day on everything.

g 01-06-04 12:30 AM

i think that the real future is the 5.99 dvd at walmart. eventually the best releases will be there. netflix wont be as incredible with this competion and the netflix stock will stumble.

PalmerJoss 01-06-04 07:19 AM

I personally love using Netflix. I mostly use it to rent dvd's that I wouldn't want to buy, but still want to see. I usually go through about 8 or 9 a month, so it's worth it to me.

Nuff 01-06-04 09:05 AM

I cannot recommend them highly enough. They have literally every movie my fiancee and I have ever wanted to watch, from new releases to HK Kung Fu movies to travel DVDs to whatever. The service is fantastic and the turnaround is faster than I would think possible. For me, in Dallas, I drop a dvd in the mail Monday and get the replacement in my mailbox Wed.

moviezzz 01-06-04 10:09 AM

If you rent from Blockbuster or Hollywood, then you would be an idiot not to join Netflix.

I joined Netflix 2 years ago and haven't rented from a video store since.

As for the new releases, as mentioned, if you know how to work your queue, you won't have a problem. I also just had UNDERWORLD shipped to me (although I missed getting AMERICAN WEDDING which is now at Very Long Wait). After a few weeks, titles are easy to get but some (like the TV series) may be out longer because people take their time watching them.

It is also great to preview a disc before you buy it. I can't tell you how much I've saved on what would have been bad blind buys by renting them from Netflix first.

Anyway, great service. Can't say any reason why you wouldn't join.

mikewendt 01-06-04 10:23 AM

Great service. I haven't rented from a store in 2 years. The turn around time is 1-2 days depending on the time of day you drop the discs in the mail and the availability hasn't been a problem.

mr.rs 01-06-04 10:34 AM

I use to buy between 2-6 dvds a week.
My cash flow was down for the first time in a good while so I decided to try old Netflix..........what a great desicion it was.
I figure they will save me over a thousand dollars a year (give or take) from buying discs that are so so that will not make it into my permenant collection.
I've been signed up for months now with no problems and fast as hell service.

Movie_Man 01-06-04 11:39 AM

In addition to what everyone else has said, their selection in infinitely better that what you would find at your local Blockbuster. Many of those foreign and non-mainstream movies are readily available.
I've also enjoyed catching several TV shows, such as 'Sex and the City' and Six Feet Under that I wouldn't want to pay $5 per disc at the rental store.

chipmac 01-06-04 02:31 PM

Originally posted by Gamblor187
I'm thinking about joining before I have my knee surgery. I'll be out 8-12 weeks, so I'll need a lot of DVDs to keep me occupied.

Quick question:

I'd like to start renting the "Babylon 5" season sets. How does this work with netflix? Do they just send me the first 3 or 4 discs of season 1....or would I have to upgrade my membership and check out the whole season (I think it's 6 or 7 discs) all at once?

jim

This was another reason that made me give up on them years ago. I had Lawrence of Arabia in my queue and had disc 1 before disc two. I would monitor the queue and shuffle them around making sure that they stayed together and near or at the top so hopefully they would ship together. Well not only did they not ship together but they shipped disc two before disc one. I remember when they first started that if a movie was spread over two discs they would ship them as one. When they stopped that practice and shipped me the second part of the movie before the first as well as other problems I had with them I decided I'd had enough. But now that blockbuster has run all of the video stores by me out of business I might be willing to give them another shot.