Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Digital Eyes sent my credit card information through email!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was checking my email this morning only to find a strange message in my inbox with the following subject: "Delivery Status Notification (Delay)." When I opened the message I found out it was about an order I placed last night at Digital Eyes. Looks like the postmaster was trying to send the email to [email protected], but for some reason the message couldn't be delivered and was being forwarded to me.

But the most disturbing part was the message contained my complete credit information along with the order details. I find it very troubling that Digital Eyes is using email to send credit card information. This was only my second order at Digital Eyes but will probably be my last since I don't consider email a very secure method of protecting my credit card number.

I was also curious if anyone else received one of these emails? Below is a partial copy of the message without my personal information attached.

To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 08:38:04 -0500
Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Delay)

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE.

Delivery to the following recipients has been delayed.

[email protected]

Last edited by Laser Movies; 01-01-04 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-02-04, 02:21 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never order from Digital Eyes before and never will if it is true.
Old 01-02-04, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Whoa, that's pretty bad...
Old 01-02-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also never ordered from them, and I guess I'll never will either. I'll stick to more reliable sites.
Old 01-02-04, 09:43 PM

I am looking into this and will get this solved in a few minutes. The credit card details should not have been sent through an e-mail. I am sorry for this inconvenience.

Mark
Digital Eyes
Old 01-03-04, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like to get an answer to what exactly is going on. From what I can tell it appears that order information is forwarded to the email address I mentioned in my initial post. For some reason it wasn't, I'm assuming because of full email account, and the message was sent to me because of the problem. However why is my order even being forwarded to another address? It doesn't give me much confidence in your site thinking my billing address, complete credit card number, and expiration date are being sent unsecurely through the internet.
Old 01-03-04, 08:22 AM

The order confirmation had been CC'd to my e-mail address across our local network (never outside across the internet). Due to a glitch with our mail server the message had been delayed and sent back to you. The credit card info has only been in those messages for a very short time due to a mistake in my coding. This has been removed and there is no information going across our local network containing a credit card number let alone across the internet.

I am sorry that I made this mistake. We have never had payment information compromised from our site or customers. I take this very seriously and the message data has been removed.

Mark
Digital Eyes