Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy- what the hell?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Best Buy- what the hell?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-03, 12:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dvd-fanman---the kiosk is differant than the website. the kiosk does show the prices for what is in the store. if the kiosk said the price was $16.99, that is the price for the store. for the website it's like having 500 stores in the US and having one website. the website is going to be for all 50 states, not for one store.

it is pretty sad that best buy won't price match with their website, but once again, it's all from the corporate offices. if they tell the stores that they can't price match with the website, the stores can't price match.

and BTW-- Wal Mart has the best prices for new releases, they're usually $1 cheaper than best buy. unless you want to buy director cuts of a dvd (like american wedding unrated) then you'll have to go to best buy since wal mart is only going to carry the rated r version.
Old 12-29-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by tsl141
As stated before, BB.com and the stores are independently owned.
Wow, I feel bad for the whole Best Buy family, since they are all unclaimed orphans.

Lets see Music Land (before it was sent belly up), Sam Goody, Suncoast, Media Play, and Best Buy are ALL OWNED BY THE SAME PARENT COMPANY.

That means from the carpets that greet you as you walk into their stores to the contact information on their websites, they are ALL PAID BY THE SAME PARENT COMPANY.

Again they are not INDEPENDENTLY owned.
Old 12-29-03, 01:21 PM

I thought Best Buy sold Suncoast, Sam Goody et. al. a few months back? Deal fall through?
Old 12-29-03, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Arkayz
I thought Best Buy sold Suncoast, Sam Goody et. al. a few months back? Deal fall through?
It may have, on the following website BB is no longer listed:

MusicLand Group
Old 12-29-03, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by stingermck
Thats why you should order from the website, and use in store pickup, if a price is cheaper
Last time I checked, you can't use gift cards online...(i.e. no purchase and in-store pickup option)
Old 12-29-03, 04:54 PM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Willh51
BB is kind of gay with their service.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by illennium

Excuse me?
I think he means that they try to stick it to you in every way possible.
Old 12-29-03, 05:16 PM
Banned

retihsuhnt--actually best buy did sell... in fact at one point if you were employed in one of the companys you could get a discount at any of the companys, but that ended in either feb or march 03. funny someone is trying to tell someone who worked at best buy for a year that i was wrong....i bet you feel a little dumb now huh
Old 12-29-03, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ah damn it, I hate it when I am right. According to www.bestbuy.com their mailing address is:

Best Buy.com, LLC
7601 Penn Ave S
Richfield, MN 55423-3645

And according to the CNNfn website located here BB's mailing address is:

Best Buy Co., Inc.
7601 Penn Ave S
Richfield, MN 55423

Like I said, I hate being right. Now tsl go do us all a favor and speak with Mr. Schulze (CEO), the man that paid you while you were working for BB and see what he has to say about BB and BB.com being independent.
Old 12-29-03, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i am pretty sure the reason best buy will not pricematch best buy.com is that the cost and profit of each separate entity (how they are managed on their books) is separate. By matching .com's prices in store you are cannabilizing the profit of the store because that sale will be reported as occurring in store.

due to the different cost structures of owning a web-based company vs. a brick and mortar it might allow them to have great deals on certain products over the web only, and not be able to always feature that same deal in-store. as a company that is fanatical about making money and especially so about the profitability of every single store, EVERY DAY, I can understand why they are unwilling to pricematch online. This might even be a store by store decision based on corporate structure.

In the end, the profit of the company is still the same, but when comparing income, growth, and market share of one brick and mortar to the rest, those price matches may hurt their overall appearance.
Old 12-29-03, 06:45 PM

it's funny, if a store has to wrangle around their own stated policies to scrape an extra few bucks out of each buyer, maybe they should simply not do price matches at all.....

What's that? the sound of ALL the customers going to another store? That's why they continue to state the policy, and only honor it as they feel like. Just more tactics to screw around but keep people coming through the door.....

Oh well, I have other ways of getting a good deal than dealing with their crap. I only shop best buy for specific items, and don't want to hear about warranties etc....

The key to shopping at best buy is making up your mind BEFORE you walk through their door, or accept the consequences and learning from it.
Old 12-30-03, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts
I bought an E-Reader last week, and it rang up $39.99. I told the cashier it was $35.99 on BestBuy.com and he asked someone if he could price match and he said it was ok. So I was happy. I guess it all depends on who you get. I have found that the male employees are less "bossy, and by the book" then the female employees. Rarely do I get a female employee waiting on me without her examining every coupon, questioning every deal, reminding me of their policy 800 times, etc. The males just ring it up and send you out the door.

Anyone else notice this?

Oh, and I almost forgot. At Circuit City, it's reversed. The males are picky, while the females are generally cheery.
Old 01-06-04, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Alright, so let me get this straight. I can order from the website at the lower price for in store pick up?
Old 01-07-04, 01:54 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by theneobez
Alright, so let me get this straight. I can order from the website at the lower price for in store pick up?
You get the lower of the online order price or the in-store price at the time of pick-up.