Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Can DDD handle it?

Old 12-03-03, 03:47 PM
Cool New Member

Can DDD handle it?

Just wondering. I've seen the 20% off codes all over the place - tons of people seem to be taking advantage of it.

I placed two orders about 48 hours ago and neither one has been shipped yet. I'm in no hurry - but I'm wondering if DDD bit off more then they could chew with this promotion...

I'm also wondering if they're losing money on some orders.

Rob
Old 12-03-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm sure they picked the 20% discount point because they could still make a (smaller) profit, with the added benefit of most people buying WAY more stuff than they would've otherwise. I spent $230 and that was only after coming to my senses and dropping almost another $100 off the cart.

It does suck about the delay in shipping, though.
Old 12-03-03, 04:00 PM

All of these coupons finish Friday. Hopefully they will get their house in order by the beginning of next week and we'll see the later orders shipping. I have three orders with them. The first, done within the first 24 hours or so of the sale, shipped.
Old 12-03-03, 04:12 PM

I'm just curious...how much do company like DDD buy the DVD for? I"m going to guess that it probably takes about 1-2 dollars to make a DVD w/ inserts and case? Maybe sell it to vendors for $6. And sell it to the consumers for $15?
Old 12-03-03, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i've placed 4 orders ($bout $400 worth), the first being on the first day the coupon was active, expected shipping date was 11/30, yet none have shipped yet. I don't know why I always have trouble with the deepdiscount sites. Everyone else seems to have flawless transactions with them. I preordered some CDs that came out 3 Tuesdays ago, customer service rep says they shipped out on the frst friday, yet i JUST received an email saying my order shipped a few days ago. Also I had an issue in the past where it took 2+ months to receive a credit. If it weren't for these coupons, I wouldn't be using them just for these reasons.
Old 12-03-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I predict a catastrophe to rival the Tromaville Maul fiasco of a couple of years ago.

But I placed 2 orders for a total of about $350 anyway.
Old 12-03-03, 04:59 PM

Not really much of a change for me, if I preorder something it would ship on time or a bit earlier, but ordering regular in stock stuff always took 3 days at the least to ship.
Old 12-03-03, 05:02 PM

I probably wouldn't hold my breath.

I placed 2 orders on the 11/26th. Neither have shipped and both were small orders who items are both still "in stock" today according to the website.

I figure if I waited for a store like amazon to get the same prices of the same items that I recieved using the 20% off at DDD I'd probably be waiting for years anyways.
Old 12-03-03, 05:04 PM

WRONG FORUM!!!! Should be moved to store forum...
Old 12-03-03, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Bluebomber
Not really much of a change for me, if I preorder something it would ship on time or a bit earlier, but ordering regular in stock stuff always took 3 days at the least to ship.
Pretty much the same for me - usually ships out 2-3 days after I order.

I placed my first coupon order on Friday, and it shipped on Monday (much to my surprise!). Now waiting word on the Monday and Tuesday orders.
Old 12-03-03, 05:09 PM

They will build a customer base with this promotion, that's for sure.
Old 12-03-03, 05:19 PM

They will build a customer base with this promotion, that's for sure
customer base = future sales!

They probably are loosing money on many of the DVDs, almost certainly on Pirates of the Caribbean and the Alien set. Others they may be making only change on them. We have to keep in mind however, they are on line, and therefore do not have the overhead of a retail outfit.

Then again, didn't Amazon work in the red for years before finally seeing profit? Maybe that is the strategy that DeepDiscount is embarking on.
Old 12-03-03, 05:29 PM

I ordered two DVD's and they have shipped one already. The second is on backorder :<
Old 12-03-03, 05:31 PM

I worked on my DDD cart for two evenings! A lesson to be learned: have a long Want List. That really helped me with this order. In the end my order was for 296.98 and after the code
237.51!
Old 12-03-03, 05:39 PM

I worked on my DDD cart for two evenings! A lesson to be learned: have a long Want List. That really helped me with this order. In the end my order was for 296.98 and after the code
237.51!
Old 12-03-03, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If they can't deliver the goods in a timely manner, they'll LOSE all the customers who were enticed by the deal.
Old 12-03-03, 05:56 PM
Premium Member

Placed a large order on Friday, UPS delivered it today. I'm happy.
Old 12-03-03, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by Geofferson
I don't know - other stores have tried to build a customer base by offering good deals (800.com 3/$1.00, Reel.com $20 off $20 coupons, etc), and most of them are gone now. I don't think there is much customer loyalty online - people will just buy wherever they can get the best deal. Many times the best deal is at DDD, sometimes it's at Digitaleyes or Dvdempire (who have coupons available most of the time), etc. I think when all this is over, everyone is just going to go back to their old buying habits, so It won't really affect DDD's sales much either way.

Also, I don't think any new customers this sale brings in are going to be that impressed. I mean, it literally takes hours to place an order, most items (or most of the ones I've ordered) immediately go on backorder after the order is placed, and it looks like what they do have in stock is going to take a while to ship. If I were new to DDD, all of this wouldn't exactly have me enthused about ordering from them again.

Roy
Old 12-03-03, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Engel07
I'm just curious...how much do company like DDD buy the DVD for? I"m going to guess that it probably takes about 1-2 dollars to make a DVD w/ inserts and case? Maybe sell it to vendors for $6. And sell it to the consumers for $15?
This is from a previous post of mine:

Here's a general idea of what DVDs cost to retailers, this isn't specific and is based on past wholesale experience:

MSRP: 24.99-29.99 COST: ~17.00-19.00
MSRP: 19.99 COST: ~12.50
MSRP: 14.99 COST: ~8.50
MSRP: 9.99 COST: ~5.50

Of course these prices vary by studio and the amount purchased. Bigger stores like Best Buy, Walmart, Target, and Circuit City get better wholesale prices than your mom and pop stores since they buy in mass quantities.
Old 12-03-03, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ordered on Sunday and got my shipment notice yesterday. For those that were in stock. Wonder how long the others will take.
Old 12-03-03, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If those numbers are accurate for DDD, they're losing a lot of money this week. Their parent company, Infinity, is pretty big in its own right. Wouldn't they get wholesale prices comparable to the big-box B&Ms?
Old 12-03-03, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Geofferson
Not if they take forever to process the orders. If people 'get' a great deal, but don't receive the DVDs until January... that's a sure way to destroy a customer base.

I have to assume that DDD was fully aware of the onslaught of orders they'd receive and are ready to handle it. Otherwise, why bother having the promo?
Old 12-03-03, 06:21 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

The way their site is crawling this week, it's clear they got more than expected.

I am tempted to finally finish my Criterion collection. It would be like getting 3 for free...
Old 12-03-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I tried logging in yesterday afternoon around 5pm (to show someone else how to use the codes), and the site was crawling...they are definitely getting slammed.

I placed an order on sunday and got the ship confirmation today.

Merchandise Total: $ 46.59 Shipping Method: 5 - 10 BUSINESS DAY DELIVERY
Estimated Arrival date: 12/12/03 - 12/17/03

Quantity Item # Description Price
-------- ------------ ---------------------------------------- ----------
1 ABD012465 DVD : 3 FROM THE MIND OF STEPHEN KING $ 19.20
1 NLD006504 DVD : LORD OF THE RINGS-TWO TOWERS (PSSE $ 19.91
1 PRD001454 DVD : FLASHDANCE $ 7.48
Tax: $ .00
Shipping & Handling: $ .00
Total for Shipped Items: $ 46.59

Old 12-03-03, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by rexinnih
Ordered on Sunday and got my shipment notice yesterday. For those that were in stock. Wonder how long the others will take.
I had some issues with the coupon (it wouldn't apply). So after multiple online attempts, I just went ahead and phoned in my order. Of the 5 DVDs that I ordered, three were backordered ("Citizen Kane," "Best of Will Ferrell," "Strangers With Candy Season One"). The CSR said that all three would be in the warehouse on 12/16, if that's any indication.

The CSR never heard of the DVDTALK coupon. I was put on hold and I guess she talked to a manager or something. Anyway, she applied it with no problem.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.