Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Employment at a store like Best Buy...

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-03, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, I'm gonna put this out there for those of you who work/have worked at a store like BB, CC, etc. I was wondering if anyone here could tell me what kind of place Best Buy (or CC) was to work for. How are there wages? Will they hire you/pay you based on past retail experience? If so, will the pay be enough to live on, or is it pretty much a job you get in college to buy beer/pay bills? THanks in advance for any info.
Old 11-20-03, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by reubs82
Alright, I'm gonna put this out there for those of you who work/have worked at a store like BB, CC, etc. I was wondering if anyone here could tell me what kind of place Best Buy (or CC) was to work for.
Its retail and sometimes retail is an utter pain in the ass. Stupid people, stupid questions, and rude customers. But that applies to all of retail.

As for Best Buy...be prepared to be constantly trained on how to sell accessories or service plans. They will try and drive that crap into your head at every possible moment.

Unless you work in an area where you arent expected to meet and greet the public, you WILL be required to offer service plans to customers.

How are there wages? Will they hire you/pay you based on past retail experience?
Unless this policy changed since i worked there, No. Some high school kids got hired there for thier first jobs and they were getting paid more than me an hour (and this was after working there for a year).

I didnt find the wages to be that competitive, but results at your store may vary.

If so, will the pay be enough to live on, or is it pretty much a job you get in college to buy beer/pay bills? THanks in advance for any info.
Depends on the position you have. A lowly floor walker will give you enough to pay bills, but dont expect to buy matching Ferraris on your pay.

I personally have bad feelings towards my store because my boss wasnt very nice and he took his marrige problems out on his employees. I wasn't a fan of offering service plans over having knowledge on products. And i'm also not a fan of having the General Manager of the store tell me he liked me as a person but not as an employee.

But these are MY experiences, and they may not happen to you. There are some good stores with good managers out there

But i will tell you this: unless you are a full-timer, come January hour will be cut back. I went from 27 hour work weeks down to 8 hour work weeks.