Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Where is my Dell computer?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-03, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yesterday, I took the day off of work because my Dell computer was going to be delivered by UPS. I had to be home because my signature was required at the time of delivery. I followed my delivery status by tracking it on the UPS website.

I checked mid-afternoon and went through the roof when I saw that it was delivered at 1:05 PM to someone else. I called UPS and Dell and was given the total runaround. No one would help me. I expressed my concern to Dell Customer Care and they are totally blowing me off. Don't they even care? Where the hell is my computer?

Check the tracking number they gave me. Am I misssing something here?

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting Dell Customer Care.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience this
matter has caused. I am truly sorry that we were not able to
provide you with an experience that was completely satisfactory
to you.

While I realize that only our future interactions can restore
your complete confidence in us, I want to assure you that your
experience was unusual and is not indicative of the quality service
Dell is capable of providing.

Dell's intention is to provide our customers with the best products
and customer experience that is both satisfying and enjoyable.

I understand your concern regarding the order. I have reviewed
your account and show that your order number 505835711 for the
Inspiron8600 shipped via UPS on 11-14-03 and should arrive in
3 to 5 business days. *Please note that weekends and holidays
are not business days. Your tracking number is:

1ZV5345E4210011427

Using the above tracking number, you may track the progress of
your shipment at:

http://www.ups.com/tracking/tracking.html

Or, contact UPS at: 1-800-742-587

Please note that the UPS tracking number will not show active
until it hits the destination hub. The shipping status may not
show up until the estimated date of delivery from the ship date.
Please allow for the appropriate time frame of delivery after
which you will be able to track it on the carrier website.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. They are both
greatly appreciated. We value you as our customer and your satisfaction
is very important to us.

If you have any other issue, please feel free to contact Dell
Customer Care at:

www.dellcustomercare.com

Thank you for choosing Dell.

Have a nice day.

Respectfully,

Pam
DTC47665
8:00am to 4:30pm CST Thurs-Mon
Dell Customer Care
Old 11-18-03, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you track the package it says "Brennan" signed for it. So it's simple; track this Brennan down and break his kneecaps.

Seriously....Just keep hounding Dell. If you make enough noise eventually they'll do something.
Old 11-18-03, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Where is my Dell computer?

Originally posted by Tandem
Check the tracking number they gave me. Am I misssing something here?
Obviously a computer. Did you try contacting UPS?
Old 11-18-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, your first stop must be UPS. You must get them to admit that they didn't deliver it to you. Once this is on record, then take this info to Dell and make them replace the system. Let them figure out how to handle UPS.

If they don't budge call your CC and dispute the charges.

If only I were i a position to fight this battle for you ... it'd be kinda fun.
Old 11-18-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I called Dell customer service this morning and told them that I was going to stay on until they told me exactly where my computer was. I wasn't going to take "It was shipped" as an answer. I finally got them to use the tracking number they provided my and they said, "oh, it looks like it was delivered." Well, duh, what was I trying to tell you?" "You're not Brennen, are you?" "Noooooo, I wouldn't be calling you if I was."

Well, they called UPS and we had a little three-way conversation. It turns out my inquiry to UPS yesterday was enough for them to check it out further and UPS admitted they delivered it to the wrong address. The driver went back late yesterday and retrieved the package and it didn't show up in the computer until this morning.

UPS claims that they will deliver it to me today. I checked and at least they have the city right this time. Hopefully, it will be in one piece and I'll be the happy owner of a new computer.

Even though I called UPS yesterday, I was slow to blame them. I though maybe Dell had given me the wrong tracking number and I was following some else's package. You would think that UPS could at least get the city right. Englewood - Colorado Springs - they are only about 60 miles from each other and they do sound alike, don't they?

I'll let you all know if everything works out.
Old 11-19-03, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I finally got it yesterday. The address label was correct so I have to put the blame totally on UPS - no idea why they messed it up so badly, though.

I still have to give Dell a black mark for their customer service. I really had to jump in their face before they would give me any kind of meaningful assistance.
Old 11-19-03, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
UPS is sometimes a little funny about package tracking. When the holidays approach they sometimes sub-contract some of the deliveries out to independents (i.e. some guy with a SUV). A couple of Christmases ago, I ordered a digital camera and paid for 2nd day air. The tracking showed it was delivered at 8AM and signed for. Well, I knew that was B.S. because I was home and nothing was delivered, so I started calling UPS, who was not helpful at all, telling me to contact the shipper and that it was still on the truck, even though it showed as having been delivered.
About 2:30 that afternoon, after wasting several hours on the phone, the doorbell rings and it's a delivery guy with my package, he was driving a maroon SUV with no logos or anything on it. I don't remember if he had a uniform or not. I asked him if this had been delivered to the wrong address, because UPS still hadn't accepted that there was anything wrong. He said no and that they scanned all the packages as being "delivered" when he picked them up at the depot. He didn't have a scanner or anything.
So, in reality, nobody had done anything wrong and I got what I was supposed to when I was supposed to. I had panicked unnecessarily, but the bottom line is you can't always believe what you read on their package tracking website.
I'm glad it all worked out for you though.
Dude, you got a dell!
Old 11-19-03, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am sorry about your computer..but its not Dell's fault. Its UPS fault plain and simple, you should have hammered them until they did the trace..the only thing Dell could have done is what they did in this case.

Why your beef with Dell?
Old 11-19-03, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by chanster
I am sorry about your computer..but its not Dell's fault. Its UPS fault plain and simple, you should have hammered them until they did the trace..the only thing Dell could have done is what they did in this case.

Why your beef with Dell?
I believe Dell's apathy during the initial call was the issue. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what went wrong. And in most cases, it is required that the shipper file the complaint with the carrier; the recipient has no rights.
Old 11-19-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Exactly, BigPete. Dell's response that I quoted in my initial post was their response to my 4th inquiry. The first time I called them and the static on the line was so loud the representative could barely hear or understand me. The 2nd time I called, the representative had a very thick accent and we weren't getting anywhere. She kept telling me it was shipped on the 14th and I would get it anytime now. She wouldn't even look at the tracking number.

The 3rd time was through their website. It was a standard form, I've got a problem with my order, a representative will contact me, etc. I didn't have an option of putting in any information. When the e-mail from the representative came asking for details, I responded with a very precise description of the problem, i.e. that it was delivered to the wrong address and I could tell by following the tracking number.

As you can see from the e-mail I quoted, they didn't even consider what I had told them and merely gave me the standard company response. That's when I got really ticked off.

Finally, with the phone call I made yesterday morning, I got a decent rep who took the time to examine the problem thoroughly and come up with the solution. That's what should have happened the first time I called. (or 2nd, I can excuse the bad connection on the 1st call)

In the for-what-its-worth catagory, about the same time as the computer was being delivered, I got an e-mail from Dell asking me to confirm my shipping address so the rep could "further initiate the process". Whatever that means. This was the answer to the response I gave to the email I initially quoted.