Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Hints and tips for selling on E-Bay?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Hints and tips for selling on E-Bay?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-03, 06:51 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just checked out your me page
I thought you never sold before you posted this thread in novmeber but you have feedback all the way back in 2000, did you only buy before?

It looks good, and I always check out sellers me page, and you are very straight forward so you should have no problem getting bidders
Old 12-03-03, 09:38 PM

I have a question:

A lot of people , especially on msg board trading sites, like this one or HT forums accept pay pal but specifically say they don't want "credit card paypal."

Why the fear of credit card paypal?

I want to put money into my paypal account but I don't want to put in a bank account number. Any other way I can put in money into my account or am I just left with putting in a CC number and avoiding non credit card paypal seller?
Old 12-04-03, 03:46 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

I think there is a higher paypal charge to accept credit cards, I think it sucks either way, when paypal first starting it ued to be free to trasnfer money from bank account to bank account but not anymore.

Plus paypal is horrible for sellers: I sold a tivo on htf.com for $400, and the guy after 2 weeks complained he never got it, and filed a complaint, I called tivo they could tell it was hooked up in his town, I sent paypal this info, but because I didn't send delivery confirmation(which they no longer accept as form of protection) or insurance, I was screwed out of the $400.

but the catch 22, is you have to accept paypal to draw in the most buyers.
Old 12-04-03, 05:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by cross
I have a question:

A lot of people , especially on msg board trading sites, like this one or HT forums accept pay pal but specifically say they don't want "credit card paypal."

Why the fear of credit card paypal?
The main reason most sellers don't accept credit cards through PayPal is because of the fees. If you upgrade to a business account so you can accept credit cards, they start charging a percentage every time you receive money or transfer money to a bank account. I don't accept credit cards because the total fees between eBay and PayPal get pretty excessive.

In my experience, most buyers don't seem to mind this. I make about the same from sales as everyone else I see. They just end up losing another chunk of the profit to PayPal, while I'm able to use it for free.
Old 12-04-03, 08:13 PM

[i]I sent paypal this info, but because I didn't send delivery confirmation(which they no longer accept as form of protection) or insurance, I was screwed out of the $400.[/B]
According to Paypal, you're still protected if you send with Delivery Confirmation to a Confirmed address for items less than $250.

Over $250, you must have Signature Confirmation.
Old 01-12-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While bringing this thread back from something resembling the dead, I have a question to eBay buyers/sellers. What is the preferred method of "packing" an item?

The reason I ask is Im looking at selling some of my DVDs and have bought a number of the 8 1/2 * 11 bubble mailers and am wondering if that will be enough protection for the USPS.

In the past when I have purchased DVDs from eBay they have arrived in the bubble mailers without incident, but I figured I would ask those with more experience with the eBay community.
Old 01-12-04, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I always use those same size bubble mailers when shipping dvds, and I've never had any complaints. It's a good idea to place a folded up paper towel or piece of bubble wrap inside the dvd case to ensure that the disc doesn't come loose while in transit.
Old 01-12-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks DBall for the assist. I was thinking about the paper issue also.
Old 01-12-04, 01:16 PM
3Js

Sometimes, I will go with a little larger bubble mailer and put an extra piece of bubble wrap around the DVD just in case. That should work with the 8 1/2 * 11 mailer.

Probably not necessary...but... the buyer will appreciate it.

I agree with adding paper towel or kleenex on the inside to prevent the buyer getting a "rattler". Too bad the manufacturers don't do something similar for new DVDs!

If a DVD sells for $5 or more I always go with Delivery Confirmation at 55 cents (even at my own expense). It proves I sent the item and it proves the buyer received it. Buyers seem to like the ability to track the progress of their parcel on the web too.

I had one guy who said he did not get the item, but I came back with the Delivery Confirmation status from the USPS web site that said it WAS delivered. After that, the complaint mysteriously stopped!
Old 01-12-04, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Allright, just wanted to reiterate a few things that have, for the most part, already been stated.

1. Get a Paypal account. You don’t have to get a premier account, just get a personal account. This way, you won’t pay any fees to receive money, though you won’t be able to accept credit cards (which is why you see “no credit cards with Paypal” in some auctions, they only have a personal account).

2. Put something similar to the following in your auctions:

a. This DVD is from the manufacturer and is not a bootleg, I will never sell bootlegs.

b. Shipping: $3 for First Class mail, not media mail.

[note: A DVD and a bubble envelope will be under a pound, thus doesn’t have to be Priority Mail. It will cost you something like $1.60 to $2 to mail, plus the cost of the bubble envelope]

c. Payments: I accept payment with USPS money orders or Paypal only. If you pay via Paypal, I can only ship to your confirmed address.

3. Describe the DVD and include a couple of photos of it (2nd photo is only $0.15 or so). Make specific mention of any fingerprints or scratches (or lack thereof) on the DVD. Mention that the DVD has only been handled by yourself, no kids have been around it (you are trying to build confidence in the bidder that your DVD is in excellent condition).

4. If you do use Paypal and the item is cheap enough and you are shipping to their confirmed address, and their feedback is clean, I wouldn’t bother with spending the extra money on delivery confirmation (which protects you against chargebacks). If anything raises your suspicions, like some negatives, the person originally wants you to send it to a non-confirmed address, the item you are sending is worth a significant amount of money (say, $15 or more), etc, then use delivery confirmation. Of course, only send to their confirmed address. If they ask you to send to another address then ask for a money order.
Old 01-12-04, 06:50 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Heat
3. Describe the DVD and include a couple of photos of it (2nd photo is only $0.15 or so).
Or - one of the money saving tricks I've figured out is if you have space on a webpage somewhere, you can host as many pictures as you want from there, as long as you code the picture in the HTML of your ad. I get away with 2 or 3 pictures (in addition to the freebie E-Bay one) with each auction I've done.
Old 01-12-04, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Heat

1. Get a Paypal account. You don’t have to get a premier account, just get a personal account. This way, you won’t pay any fees to receive money, though you won’t be able to accept credit cards (which is why you see “no credit cards with Paypal” in some auctions, they only have a personal account).
I'm starting to think it's worth the extra cost to get a premier account. I currently only have a personal account but it seems almost after every auction I get 1 or 2 people that pay me with a credit card. It doesn't matter if I mention no credit card payments in my auctions and send emails after the auctions stating the Paypal restrictions. I then have to deny the payment and send the person another email explaining why their payment was denied, and to carefully read my payment details again. In my opinion it's too much of a hassle to save on the fees.

4. If you do use Paypal and the item is cheap enough and you are shipping to their confirmed address, and their feedback is clean, I wouldn’t bother with spending the extra money on delivery confirmation (which protects you against chargebacks). If anything raises your suspicions, like some negatives, the person originally wants you to send it to a non-confirmed address, the item you are sending is worth a significant amount of money (say, $15 or more), etc, then use delivery confirmation. Of course, only send to their confirmed address. If they ask you to send to another address then ask for a money order.

You can get free or cheap delivery confirmation if you download and use the USPS shipping assistant software. You can then print address labels with delivery confirmation on the label. Delivery confirmation is free with priority mail, and only $0.13 for first class and media mail. However I don't think Paypal recognizes delivery confirmation from the post office as a valid form of tracking to prevent chargebacks. I think they require you to ship by either Fed Ex or UPS.
Old 01-13-04, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts
Another thing is to ship it in proper packaging. I bought some Hallmark ornaments and the idiot sent it in a bubble mailer. Do NOT send boxed collectables in a bubble mailer use a BOX. Needless to say the box was bent to hell, but the items were alright so I just shot off an email to them notifying them of their error.