Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Returns/Exchanges

Old 10-30-03, 03:01 PM

Returns/Exchanges

I'm hoping someone can help me. I got the Wrong Turn DVD for my birthday. However, I already have it and would like to exchange it for something else. Unfortunately, the receipt was lost. Are there any B&M stores that will make exchanges for equal or lesser value w/o a receipt?
Thanks.
Old 10-30-03, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's usually frowned upon here, but I've heard that Sam Goody/Suncoast/Media Play does that sometimes.
Old 10-30-03, 03:17 PM

Why?

Why is it frowned upon?
I don't want to pull a fast one. I just wanted to know if any store would make an exchange, on the up and up.
Old 10-30-03, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Its not a bad question, but all of the great foks on this forum and other forums, use stores policies to rip them off by mass returning cheaply bought DVD's and such. Most stores will do it, but you will eventually get flagged for it.
Old 10-30-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by chanster
all of the great foks on this forum and other forums, use stores policies to rip them off by mass returning cheaply bought DVD's and such.
all?
Old 10-30-03, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

hmm I said "all of the great folks" which would imply I was being sarcastic about about a certain subset on this forum
Old 10-30-03, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, as long as they carry it, many stores (Borders for one) will exchange it (you get a gift card). You don't have to say you lost the receipt or anything, just tell them it's a gift.

They'll give you the lowest price in the last XX (it's either 60 or 90, not sure) days, so you won't necessarily get what it sells for but it is better than nothing.

Post-Christmas, practically every store in existence will exchange things for you (again, as long as they carry it).

It is one reason I give many people books at Christmas--I know if they have it or don't like it, they can just exchange it at their nearest Barnes & Noble or Borders for something they really want (so it's like a gift certificate, but more thoughtful).

Last edited by Ginwen; 10-30-03 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-30-03, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Returns/Exchanges

Originally posted by GeneralZod
I'm hoping someone can help me. I got the Wrong Turn DVD for my birthday. However, I already have it and would like to exchange it for something else. Unfortunately, the receipt was lost. Are there any B&M stores that will make exchanges for equal or lesser value w/o a receipt?
Thanks.
I was in a similar situation to yours the other day involving a FF copy of the BTTF Trilogy that I wanted to swap for a WS version. Best Buy would not exchange it (said I needed the receipt or the purchasers credit card number to prove that it was purchased at BB?!?!? ), but Media Play was happy to swap it out for me.

Note: The set was still completely sealed.
Old 10-31-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yup, I recently ran into a similar situation at Best Buy. I had a sealed DVD that was obviously loose in the box, but I had no receipt. After three different CSRs shook the case, telling me that it could be anything loose in there (not!), the manager finally came out and told me to pull one off the shelf so that he could see if the rattle was the same in all boxes. When I returned with an unrattling version of the same DVD, he shook my case again, VERY HARD, and said, "yup, sounds like you've got a loose DVD in there...BUT I'm still not going to exchange it without a receipt." What a jerk! I was so pissed...
Old 10-31-03, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Target would probably let you exchange it as well. At least i'd let if you if i was working at the service desk.
Old 10-31-03, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Media Play is usually the best. I know BB got really strict. I wanted to exchange a defective DVD and I had the receipt. They made me open the new one. They didn't want me exchanging then exchanging again with a sealed copy. They flagged my uncle for making too many exchanges without a receipt. He had a bunch from Christmas, now he doesn't do much there.
Old 11-01-03, 02:29 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

If you want to know which stores do an exchange without receipts, just call the individual store. Polling here can give an answer that may not be accurate. Some stores will, some won't, even if they are the same chain, depends on many factors.
Old 11-01-03, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Circuit City has a policy of exchanges without a receipt. They're pretty good about it.

K
Old 11-01-03, 05:37 PM

Best Buy should do a no receipt exchange for you, although it's very dependent on what store and who your CSR is. You are limited to only 5 No receipt exchanges before you get locked out of the system. They use your driver's license to track it.

The best they will do for you is give you a store credit, they will never give you a full refund.
Old 11-01-03, 05:39 PM

I can understand why a receipt is needed. While some people are honest, a lot aren't. And returning without a receipt is a good way to rip off a store. The DVD could be months old and you just watched it too many times to care about it any longer. Or from another store. Or simply found it, ect. Unfortunitely when a receipt IS lost, these situations reek.
Old 11-01-03, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

JCFantasy23 - nobody is talking about returning an OPEN dvd, only original shrinkwrap.
Old 11-01-03, 11:24 PM
Banned

Go to walmart if it's sailed they will gave ya store money. They won't fight ya they just ask what is worng just say got it as a gift and I own it already. Boom your done long as they curry it and can price scan it you will be just fine.
Old 12-30-03, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by Cornelius1047
Circuit City has a policy of exchanges without a receipt. They're pretty good about it.

K
Only if you can prove it was purchased there originally. They need a name/address/telephone or credit card which they can check on their computers to see if it was bought there. I had this problem with a DVD I got as a gift. It was purchased with cash so they had no record of it and I was S.O.L.
Old 12-30-03, 09:47 PM
Cool New Member

I tried to return a DVD to Circuit City w/o a receipt and got shutdown. I ended up taking it to Best Buy and they took it.
Old 12-30-03, 11:12 PM

yup went to bestbuy too and had no problems there. they took the boxset back and gave me store credit.
Old 01-02-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What kills me about Circuit City is when you bring in DVDs that clearly have the Circuit City price sticker (the ugly white square ones) on them, and they still won't exchange them for store credit unless you can provide a name/phone number/receipt of a recent purchase transaction.
Old 01-02-04, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Patman
What kills me about Circuit City is when you bring in DVDs that clearly have the Circuit City price sticker (the ugly white square ones) on them, and they still won't exchange them for store credit unless you can provide a name/phone number/receipt of a recent purchase transaction.
Well how do they know someone didn't just walk in and take it off the shelf then try to take it to the returns desk claiming they don't have a receipt for it?
Old 01-02-04, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, Best Buy is good in this department because their door greeter will slap a pink price sticker on any item you bring into the store, and they direct you to the the service counter.

When I go into Circuit City, I place the items in a bag, and take whatever items I have directly to the service counter, which is right next to the store entrance, and wait in line (most service reps will acknowlege my direct route to the service desk). Plus, my DVDs don't set off the alarm system because they have been de-activated when I (or the original purchaser) bought them earlier.

The reason Circuit City is this draconian is because they simply don't want to accept returns if they can help it, even during the holiday season when other stores have a much more liberal return/exchange policy for the 1-2 weeks after Christmas.
Old 01-05-04, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by fumanstan
Target would probably let you exchange it as well. At least i'd let if you if i was working at the service desk.
Actually, Target is surprisingly strict about their exchange policies. I accidentally picked up a foolscreen disk by mistake (I'm usually very good at making sure I get the widescreen version), and tried to return it less than 24 hours after the purchase. It was opened after I had realized it was foolscreen. They wouldn't take it even only a day after I had purchased it, and I wasn't asking for a refund. I just wanted to trade in the one I had for a widescreen, but they wouldn't do it because it had to be for the same exact product, meaning it had the same product code. Whatever. If they wouldn't put so much foolscreen in stock, I probably would have never picked it up, but I have to take a lot of the blame myself and I got what I wanted anyway.
Old 01-05-04, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actually got an extra copy of Dances With Wolves (the new one) and Legally Blonde II for Christmas. Would Borders be the best play to exchange them?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.